Links: Home Decorating, Madam C.J. Walker, & More

Workspace with computer, journal, books, coffee, and glasses.Welcome back to Wednesday Links!

Did you know the makers of Wingspan came out with a new game last month called Wyrmspan? My partner and I played it over the weekend and loved it! If you’re familiar with Wingspan, I’d say the games are 75-80% similar. However, there are some rule changes and new mechanics to Wyrmspan. I personally like this base game better than the base game of Wingspan. If you’ve played it, I’d also love to hear your thoughts!

I’m also so excited that it’s Cadbury Creme Egg season. Easter candy is my favorite because I find it to be so distinct. Other holidays just get repackaged, popular candy to fit with a color scheme…but Peeps?! Cadbury eggs?! So many jellybeans?! I love it.

Thanks to Susan who suggested this link! The Washington Post interviewed romance authors on how to increase the chemistry when it comes to home decor. I believe this article is paywalled (sorry!).

The Conversation has an article on the “astonishing rise” of queer romance. I did roll my eyes a little but because queer romance existed a lot in digital only spaces and I think an addendum needs to be made that they’re framing this in terms of “mainstream” media channels.

An Atlanta stylist has turned Madam C.J. Walker’s salon into a museum! If you live in the area, I’d love a report back.

Author Maggie Tokuda-Hall, who we love on this site, has co-founded Authors Against Book Bans.

Future resources will include:

• best practices for when your book is banned
  • how to talk about banned books EVEN IF you are not personally banned!
  • best practices for testifying at school boards/city halls/state legislatures

Don’t forget to share what cool or interesting things you’ve seen, read, or listened to this week! And if you have anything you think we’d like to post on a future Wednesday Links, send it my way!

1. Jill says:

I also find Easter candy to be the best candy! I love Cadbury Cream Eggs and refuse to eat those ridiculous looking green ooze ones that come out at Halloween. Same fir Peeps. Easter Peeps or GTFO.

2. Kate says:

Here is the WaPo article non-paywalled: https://archive.is/4gxCw

I have to stop myself from buying all the Cadbury Mini Eggs this time of year.

3. Rebecca F says:

Mini kind of lost a little of their spark for me because they’re available year round now (in Canada at least). But they’re still pretty good. There’s also a dairy milk bar with mini eggs now which is great.

4. Darlynne says:

My mom always bought my sister and me Fannie Mae chocolate Easter eggs with buttercream filling. The sugar was almost painful, but they were worth every bite.

For holidays in Prague, Cadbury sells four creme eggs — spoon and egg, I think — in a small purple egg carton and I can’t even. Yes, I bought them all.

5. footiepjs says:

My partner and I always pick up the unusual Peeps at least once. Dr Pepper Peeps are a close flavor match and I would definitely eat them again.

6. Glen says:

@Darlynne: My parents bought Fanny May eggs too! For awhile I’d treat myself and order them online, but then Fanny May discontinued their online business. I just googled and Fanny May restarted it, although they only offer the box of 8 assorted cream eggs (which includes that weird green egg that maybe was pistachio? My fave was the raspberry cream), and they only ship to the contiguous 48 (if you are overseas, I’m sorry if I got your hopes up).

7. Amanda says:

These Fanny May eggs sound delicious and now I must acquire some!

8. Trix says:

I loved this piece on chef-artist Nao and their amazingly intricate Japanese fruit sando designs:

9. Jill Q. says:

Is anyone else having trouble posting? I keep getting something that says “cookie too large.”

10. Kris Bock says:

There is no such thing as a cookie that is too large!

11. Maureen says:

I grew up in the Chicago area, during the 60’s and 70’s-Fanny May Easter eggs were a staple in our baskets. Milk chocolate vanilla buttercream? Heaven! Years later, I also used to order candy online, but then they were bought by another company and it wasn’t the same. The candy had a very distinctive flavor they couldn’t replicate. I would still order pixies and dixies, pecan candies-but as someone said , I’m not in a contiguous state, so they stopped delivery. When I say my family of 7 was crazy about Fanny May? The one thing we all agreed on!

12. denise says:

In the Baltimore area, the Mary Sue Easter Eggs are yummy. Pecan Nougat is the best, but I love the cream filled in chocolate, vanilla, and peanut butter. They also come in coconut.

13. Darlynne says:

@Glen: Yeah, no on assorted FM Easter eggs, but I am happy to see all the love for butter creams. And, great Scott, look at the prices for everything else:

Cannot believe I am even tempted.

By posting a comment, you consent to have your personally identifiable information collected and used in accordance with our privacy policy.