I’ve been binge-watching Game of Thrones with my husband, and of course when you binge-watch you get a lot of knitting done. I’ve been making cowls inspired by the badass women of Westeros and the awesome colorways of Malabrigo.
This is the Yara Cowl, inspired by Yara Greyjoy (Asha Greyjoy in the books).
Yara hails from the Iron Islands where salt, iron and bad-assery are the name of the game. Of course, Yara wouldn’t actually wear this cowl because it provides warmth, and who the hell has time for that when you’re busy being a friggin pirate queen and proving that you’re better at everything than your douchebag brother.
I picked the colorway Playa because it’s cool grays and blues, shot through with a little seaweed green. It made me think of the bleak beauty of the Iron Isles.
Things you will need:
1 skein Malabrigo Rios, color Playa
a set of size 7 circular needles with a short cord (16″ recommended)
a stitch marker
a tapestry needle for weaving in ends
1. Look at a picture of Peter Dinklage who plays the bestest character ever, Tyrion. You’re welcome.
2. CO 91 (or more if you want a looser cowl, make sure it’s an odd number of stitches). Join for working in the round, being careful not to twist. Mark the join with a stitch marker.
3. Work 2 rounds in K1, P1 ribbing. You’re ribbing it for your pleasure.
4. Work in Linen Stitch Pattern until the cowl measures 5-6″
5. Work 2 rounds in K1, P1 ribbing
6. Bind off loosely. Weave in ends.
Linen Stitch Pattern (note this only works in the round)
Round 1:* K, slip stitch purl-wise wyif, repeat from *
Round 2: *slip stitch purl-wise wyif, K, repeat from *
There you go, now you can wear your toasty cowl and channel your inner pirate queen while you wait for the train, walk the dog or pillage that fishing village that’s been giving you shit.
Feel free to send on pics of your finished cowls. We love to see your work!
Wait, you want more knitting patterns? We are here to help!
You can also find knitting patterns for:
- The Smart Bitches Outlandish Cowl
- The Smart Bitches Outlandish Arm Warmers
- The Smart Bitches Last Minute Neck Warmer
- The Smart Bitches Two Hour Scarf – includes knitting & crochet instructions
- The Smart Bitches Lacy Cowl
- The Think Pink Cowl
- The Smart Bitches Colorblock scarf
- The Smart Bitches Old Skool Romance Infinity Scarf