Links: Skype, Cereal Drama, & More

Workspace with computer, journal, books, coffee, and glasses.It’s Wednesday again! Who let that happen?

My first dose happened last Thursday and my side effects were minimal, though I heard the second shot is where the side effects get you. I hope this is a sign of a light at the end of the tunnel.

March is ending and April is upon us and that means a few holidays, namely Easter and Passover. We hope you all find ways to celebrate safely!

Author Dahlia Adler has some great trans and nonbinary romances to recommend! Have you read any of these?

I’m catching up on the Substack controversy, which I just learned about today, though apparently it’s been going for about a week.

Congratulations to Alyssa Cole and her Audie award for When No One is Watching!

If you’ve been on Twitter since yesterday, you may have seen the Cinnamon Toast Crunch drama. I am bereft. This is my favorite cereal and the company’s handling of food contamination hasn’t been great.

I love the CEO series by College Humor and this new one on Skype vs. Zoom had me in tears.

Don’t forget to share what super cool things you’ve seen, read, or listened to this week! And if you have anything you think we’d like to post on a future Wednesday Links, send it my way!

Escapeologist says:

Twitter is wild. I heard you talking about Cinnamon Toast Crunch on Stereo last night, then came across this tweet, and still my brain didn’t connect the dots because Twitter randomness

Carrie G says:

When I got the shingles vaccines a year or so ago and both doses knocked me on my rear for a day, so I went in expecting the Pfizer vaccine to do the same. Fortunately, I got a mild headache and a general unwell feeling, but nothing else (other than a slightly sore arm). Like I told my husband, if I was still working I’d have gone into work. I wasn’t sick. My husband had no side effects for his first dose of Moderna. It’s so individual that you can never tell. Good luck and Yay for the vaccine!

Maureen says:

I’m getting my second dose on Friday, I CANNOT wait. I was absolutely fine after the first, but I’ve heard the second can be tough. So hopefully if it is, I can recover over the weekend. I will be especially happy to pass the 2 week mark after-I’m a guest teacher covering a maternity leave, and had my first student test positive this past week. We weren’t considered close contacts because of the timeline-but at 60-I don’t bounce back like I used to!

Christy says:

I am a health care worker so had both my Covid shots in January. Easy peasy……had more arm pain in the past after flu shots! And very few of my colleagues in my department…probably 10%…had any issues at all.

Lynn says:

I’m so glad so many of you are getting vaccinated. The vaccine situation here in Europe is – to put it nicely – chaotic so I’m feeling very anxious and frustrated but it’s good to see that at least someone somewhere is getting their vaccines. Hope you won’t get any side effects from your second shot.

DiscoDollyDeb says:

I hope everyone can get the vaccine as it continues to roll out. Got my first jab (Moderna) in early March—as soon as my state opened up vaccine availability to K-12 school employees. Some slight soreness in my arm the next day (about what you’d expect from a flu shot—nothing like the pain I had a few years ago after my first shingles shot, as @CarrieG notes); I also had a brief (15-20 minutes), sharp headache the next day—but as I tend to be a headache-y person, that may have been completely unrelated to the shot. I did take a couple of Tylenol later in the day after my shot and then before I went to bed that night. Perhaps that helped? I get my second dose next Wednesday.

As the vaccine availability & eligibility have expanded, my family members have all been getting their shots too. My husband got his this past Monday; he got the Johnson & Johnson one-and-done shot. He was fine on Tuesday, but had some dizziness yesterday—ok by the end of the day. My oldest daughter—who is a caregiver for mentally-disabled adults—had covid a few months ago when it spread through the group home where she works. She was knocked out for almost three weeks. She got her first dose of vaccine earlier this month and it really wiped her out (I have heard the vaccine can be harder on people who have already had covid). She has her second shot scheduled for Monday and just as a precaution is taking the day off work. My other two daughters got their first shots (Moderna) this week. Other than minor soreness in her arm, one daughter had no side effects. The other had a headache, but was feeling fine beyond that.

My second shot is Monday! I’m so excited because it really does change your mental outlook. I too had the reaction to both of my shingles shots, so I cleared my calendar for Tuesday just in case. However, if I have the slight side effects, I know it means the vaccine is working and I have no complaints. We live in terrible, but also amazing, times. Thank you, science!

Amanda says:

I am so happy to read all your vaccine news!

Escapeologist says:

My feelings on the vaccine rollout have been a roller coaster. Huge sigh of relief when my elderly and vulnerable relatives first started getting their shots. Happy for all of you lovely people. But also so so tired of waiting for the 4 weeks plus 2 weeks for others to be fully protected and ?? weeks for my turn. We are all hanging on by our fingernails after a year of this.

YouTube recently has had a lot of British comedians preforming specials for Red Nose Day 2021. Mel from Bakeoff did an excellent Bridget Jones impression. Earworm warning for “All By Myself”. https://youtu.be/0tiqb-3BT4A
    And here is “2020, the movie trailer” https://youtu.be/lW0-LF4AHzs
    Ot just search for red nose day 2021.

Amanda B says:

Both of my parents, as well as my 91-year old grandpa got both doses with no side effects, so it just depends! Congrats on your first dose!

denise says:

I’m preregistered and eligible next week, but who knows when I can actually get an appointment?

By posting a comment, you consent to have your personally identifiable information collected and used in accordance with our privacy policy.