Links: Impressions, Mashups, & More

Workspace with computer, journal, books, coffee, and glasses.Welcome back, everyone! Settle in!

This week had some unexpected self-care moves for me because my depression is at an all time high (or is it low?). I did a grown up thing and scheduled an extra therapy appointment in between my regular ones because I definitely needed it. I bought a big purchase last month that arrived two weeks earlier than expected, so I got to enjoy the weekend with my new PS5. And I finally did something I’ve been wanting to do for awhile: made an appointment to get my septum pierced in January.

When you’re sad or grieving or anxious, the only way out is through. Setting up things, big or small, that give me something to look forward to from month to month has really helped. Tattoo finishes in February. Visiting my brother in Germany in March. Just keep swimming!

Thanks for being here, Wednesday crew!

We have discussed about our love of K-Dramas here and I loved seeing this intersection of that and romance novels. (Thanks, Sil!) Check out these pairings of dramas with romance recs!

I love a good impression and this has quite a few!

@mare_kellmouth acting morphing: british edition ##morph ##impressions ##comedy ##british ##english ##mouth ##acting ##mouthacting ##MyAncestryStory ##NBCAnnieLive

♬ original sound – Mary Elizabeth Kelly

Anyone with fluffy cats will relate to watching Jennifer Garner give her giant fluff monster a bath after he pooped his pants. Also, she seems like such a sweet person. I remember there’s a video of her trying to make her own sunflower seeds. She harvests them too early and they don’t turn out great, so she gives them to her ladies (her chickens).

Design nerds! The Stanford Library is launching a collection of Black Graphic Design History. I’m unsure about how to access it, but here some more info!

Lastly, how about a sick, musical mashup from two great artists? I can’t stop listening to it!

Don’t forget to share what cool or interesting things you’ve seen, read, or listened to this week! And if you have anything you think we’d like to post on a future Wednesday Links, send it my way!

1. JudyW says:

THE GOBLIN KING by Jovee Winters is literally a m/m love story about a goblin king (of course) and and a K-pop star. Seems I should mention it in relation to the K-drama books.

2. Isy says:

I also recommend THE GOBLIN KING by Jovee Winters. It is a love story and a K-drama romance. What more could I possibly want?

3. Escapeologist says:

Awww that fluffy cat getting a bath is too cute. The little sad meow and the human replying “I know”…

4. TN says:

Amanda, I so look forward to these Wednesday postings. You find real treasures on the internet. I hope you will some comfort in all the goodness you put out in the world. Thank you

5. Darlynne says:

Depression lies; anxiety does, too, and also makes decisions nearly impossible. You’re absolutely right, Amanda: the only way is through. Teeth gritted or–I saw a book title that read “Lips Together, Teeth Apart.” Some days are like that. Thank you for these links and for everything you do to make us all welcome and at home here.

6. omphale says:

I tend to say “depression lies, anxiety has no sense of proportion.” Amanda, I am so glad you are taking care of yourself, and thank you for sharing your struggles and these goofy little joys with us. My colleague and I were having a tough day and the Adele-MTS mashup brought us both joy just when we needed to not think about that “one last thought before you go for the days, ladies” email.

7. Maureen says:

I love Jennifer Garner!! We have a cat with similar length fur, and my husband is a pet groomer, so she has the “potty patch”. That way the poop can’t get caught in the fur.

Amanda, sending good thoughts your way. SBTB has been such a bright spot in my day for years, thank you for all you do.

8. marjorie says:

Amanda, thinking good and hopeful thoughts for you. I’m with Maureen — SBTB has been a huge balm for me during Covid.

9. Carol S. says:

Great timing for the K-drama link. I’m watching “Crash Landing on You” on Netflix. Heiress from S. Korea testing out glider gets caught in a storm and ends up over the North Korea border — where she meets an army captain and sparks fly, etc. Super-cute.

10. Amanda, I’m so glad you’re taking care of yourself. Depression is so damn hard and horrible.

And I love those impressions!

11. Kate says:

Aww, that poor kitty! And that laundry room!

12. AtasB says:

My nine year old bunny sometimes messes up his tail area, but I would never wash the whole critter because of that. Spot clean only, or run the tap just on the back end, maybe allowing part of the sink to fill so just the rear feet/tail/lower back end are wet. (I also keep him in good weight and trim his fur but no matter what it gets a bit matted and eventually gross. Bless the person who bred him, he’s so easy to handle, but it is a hassle for both of us. I don’t know how he still loves me so much after I’ve bathed or trimmed his mats off!)

And I’ve got bingo on sad, grieving, depressed, and anxious. Trying to do one little thing at a time on the days where I can do, uh, anything at all. I keep having some bit of stability unexpectedly go away, totally knocking me down. Or, on the other hand, something I’d basically given up on finally get going. No matter what, though, I’m still in a better place than I was last year, or the year before that…

13. Funko has Marvel gingerbread figurines. My holidays are complete: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=funko+gingerbread&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

14. EC Spurlock says:

Sending good thoughts to Amanda, omphale, Darlynne and anyone else having a rough time of it during the holidays. This has been an all-around difficult year for me, and I don’t know if I’m depressed or simply exhausted, but this season just feels so empty and nothing but a pile of obligations this year. Hoping if I can get some extra rest I’ll feel better. Thank you Amanda, Sarah and all the Smart Bitches for the moments of brightness and laughter that have helped me get through!

By posting a comment, you consent to have your personally identifiable information collected and used in accordance with our privacy policy.