Books On Sale

New Adult Romance, Seanan McGuire, & More

• The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

RECOMMENDED: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion is $2.99! Sarah gave this on an A:

Short review: this book is adorable, it will make you smile and think, and you should read it if you like charming, funny, touching stories.

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don’s Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges.

Add to Goodreads To-Read List →

This book is on sale at:
    • Available at Amazon
    • Order this book from apple books

• Barnes & Noble
    • Kobo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
    We also may use affiliate links in our posts, as well. Thanks!

• Fortune’s Pawn

Fortune’s Pawn by Rachel Bach

Fortune’s Pawn by Rachel Bach is $2.99! Catch this one as part of today’s Kindle Daily Deals. This is a scifi novel with some strong romantic elements and, in the past, I’ve heard it described as Kate Daniels in space. Many people loved this book and its worldbuilding, though there are a few reviewers who said they never connected with any of the characters.

Devi Morris isn’t your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It’s a combination that’s going to get her killed one day – but not just yet.

That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn’t misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she’s found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn’t give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

If Sigouney Weaver in Alien met Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica, you’d get Deviana Morris — a hot new mercenary earning her stripes to join an elite fighting force. Until one alien bite throws her whole future into jeopardy.

Add to Goodreads To-Read List →

This book is on sale at:
    • Available at Amazon

• Barnes & Noble
    • Kobo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
    We also may use affiliate links in our posts, as well. Thanks!

• With Every Breath

With Every Breath by Lia Riley

With Every Breath by Lia Riley is 99c! This is a new adult romance where the hero and heroine are hiking in Patagonia. I liked this one and was sad to see the series didn’t continue. In terms of backstory, I found the hero’s reasoning for his hike to be more compelling than the heroine’s.

BREATHE DEEP . . . AND JUMP IN
    At the ends of the earth, Patagonia is a land where ambition trumps reason and the savage summit of La Aguja lures the most determined climbers. It’s also the last spot a “play-it-safe girl” like Auden Woods expects to find herself. But she’ll lace up her brand-new hiking boots and do whatever it takes to secure a dream job at an adventure magazine . . . even if it kills her. And it just might. When disaster strikes, her only chance at survival comes in the form of the surliest, sexiest mountaineer ever to come out of Scotland.

After a climbing accident cost him his brother, professional mountaineer Rhys MacAskill is at the end of his rope. Redemption is not in his future. That is, until a terrifying storm blows a budding journalist into his tent and it’s up to him to make sure they both survive until morning. Despite the demons weighing on him, Rhys can’t resist the temptation of the charming American and one wild night just isn’t enough.

Auden and Rhys soon learn there are no shortcuts as they navigate their way between life, death, and atonement, and discover something they never expected—love.

Add to Goodreads To-Read List →

This book is on sale at:
    • Available at Amazon
    • Order this book from apple books

• Barnes & Noble
    • Kobo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
    We also may use affiliate links in our posts, as well. Thanks!

• Middlegame

Middlegame by Seanan McGuire

Middlegame by Seanan McGuire is $2.99! This is another Kindle Daily Deal! I know for a lot of the Bitchery, McGuire is an autobuy author. This is a standalone fantasy about twin siblings. Readers really enjoyed the main characters, though felt the book never got into a good rhythm. Have you read this one? I believe one or two of McGuire’s Wayward Children novellas (highly recommended) are also on sale.

Meet Roger. Skilled with words, languages come easily to him. He instinctively understands how the world works through the power of story.

Meet Dodger, his twin. Numbers are her world, her obsession, her everything. All she understands, she does so through the power of math.

Roger and Dodger aren’t exactly human, though they don’t realise it. They aren’t exactly gods, either. Not entirely. Not yet.

Meet Reed, skilled in the alchemical arts like his progenitor before him. Reed created Dodger and her brother. He’s not their father. Not quite. But he has a plan: to raise the twins to the highest power, to ascend with them and claim their authority as his own.

Godhood is attainable. Pray it isn’t attained.

Add to Goodreads To-Read List →

This book is on sale at:
    • Available at Amazon
    • Order this book from apple books

• Barnes & Noble
    • Kobo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
    We also may use affiliate links in our posts, as well. Thanks!

Don't want to miss an ebook sale? Sign up for our newsletter, and you'll get the week's available deals each Friday.

The Other AJ says:

Middlegame was the novel that actually removed Seanan from my auto-buy list. I found it relied a little too heavily on some of the author’s particular quirks and favorite tropes and after that I needed a loooooong break from her. I’m currently only buying her October Daye books (always and forever an auto-buy).

Alexandra says:

I LOVED Middlegame. I felt like it was more demanding than some other scifi I’ve read, but I enjoyed the story and even months later find myself thinking of it. I don’t think it’s an easy read, and I don’t think I could just pick it up and enjoy it like I can for a lot of romances and fantasy. The book requires more focus than my typical read-for-escapism favorites. But, I can also see how it wouldn’t appeal to everyone. It doesn’t have a super tight story line, it meanders.

I’d recommend it to people that like SciFi and are in a place where reading doesn’t feel like a chore/aren’t looking to feel uplifted by what they’re reading.

Laurel says:

I’ve said this before, but I think the Rosie Project is a poor representation of autism and I do not recommend it. If you are tempted to purchase it I encourage you to read a sample first.

Ren Benton says:

On this post and not others, the site layout gets borked (sidebars pushed down to the bottom and comment section spread across the whole screen; viewing on PC). After FORTUNE’S PAWN, there’s a dot and the last two books have screwy formatting, so maybe it’s going wrong somewhere in that general location?

SB Sarah says:

@Ren: Ooops! Thanks for the heads up! Thank you! Should be all fixed.

Amanda says:

@Ren Benton: Fixed, thank you! One of the links needed to be updated.

Kit says:

I read a sample of the Rosie Project a few years ago (before diagnosis) and have still not read it. To be honest I don’t really fancy reading it now, the main character reads very much like the clinical autistic savant type which annoys me.

DiscoDollyDeb says:

@Ren Benton: as an old lady who remembers the Robert Bork hearings (and was extremely upset that the Kavanaugh hearings didn’t end in the same fashion), I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to know that “borked” has entered the lexicon as a synonym for “fucked.” (Although, undoubtedly Bork borked himself. He was not—as is often claimed by right-wingers—borked by Dems, but that’s sometimes how history has been rewritten.)

DonnaMarie says:

@TripleD, did you mean synonym for “fucked up”,as in SNAFU? I too remember that clusterfuck, so I really need the word up in there. The idea of using “bork” interchangeablely with fuck, as in a sex act, just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Also, Fortune’s Pawn got a big five star review from me.

Arijo says:

I loved the Heartstriker series by Rachel Aaron/Rachel Bach, but Fortune’s trilogy is my favorite of hers. Devi is so unapologectic and badass. I also liked her romantic arc – or rather, the romantic arc of her love interest, because he’s the one with the conflict.

DiscoDollyDeb says:

@DonnaMarie: Definitely “fucked-up.” Lol

SyFyScientist says:

Another vote for Fortune’s Pawn. I like a lot of Rachel Aaron/Bach’s books but wish she’d do more sci-fi again as Rachel Bach. I’ve re-read the trilogy several times.

RebeccaA says:

At the time I read the Rosie project I really enjoyed it because I liked the fact that an autistic character got a romance and I thought it was funny. But as I am not on the spectrum I’m not the best person to know if it was good representation. However the follow up books left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Female characters that were shrill and irrational. Just my 2 cents.

Zyva says:

@RebeccaA
    My impression is that The Rosie Project series is rather ‘need to know,’ at least in Australia. It remains possible that one might be better-informed reading something BY autism self-advocate Yenn Purkis than Simsion’s fictionalised depiction of them/ze in the series (as Liz, in The Rosie Result , iirc), but Simsion’s work seems to have gained the most real estate in the popular imagination.

It probably a series that it’s better to get on special, though, because the way Simsion handles the material doesn’t satisfy me. I suppose only the gifted/asynchronous portion of the portrayal falls formally into my bailiwick, but…** I don’t know whether to blame Simsion for not identifying key characters as gifted/asynchronous AND autistic, which is a variety of twice exceptionality (2e). I don’t know how popularised the 2e technical terms were at the time he was writing.

But the science on the gifted/asynchronous component was, is, well in advance of that on autism. That research is not reflected in what Simsion writes on the educational system, and it detracts from his humour for me.
    Sure, sadly it’s a live question, whether to trust educators with identifications, trust them to differentiate supportively rather than pathologise and lower expectations for the neurodiverse. But if you don’t even inform educators about the gifted/asynchronous part of a 2e mix and leave them to sink or swim with the kid, it’s the characters and the writer who look ridiculous, – not the school, or the system more generally.

And, bloody hell, the schools should look ridiculous. You should see the neurodiversity and developmental science-denying rubbish their unions and pet academics spout to Royal Commissions and Inquiries on gifted education.
    Those erasure-merchants are making asynchronous-neurodiverse – and no more – young people mask. Good grief; the ‘gifted kiddies’ stereotype threat as about as low as it gets – but it’s still not low.
    There would be blood on the carpet big time if they were scrutinised for inclusivity to 2e and Co.

(It’s very difficult to tell where I’d land in the landscape. The underdiagnosis of autism in girls and girls’ long-term masking has been pointed out to me, and I mean me personally, but differential diagnosis of giftedness, autism, and twice exceptionality (giftedness+autism variety), is difficult. And I come with the additional confounding variable of developmental setbacks (think Adverse Childhood Experiences, and resulting complex trauma, but milder than many have suffered) so, … wow, testing me would be messy!
    Plus that’s without factoring in other possible complications; it’s not uncommon to be leaning on giftedness to compensate for other types of nonstandard wiring, like ADHD, rather than adapting, using the best methods. I have genetics for a few things like that.)

By posting a comment, you consent to have your personally identifiable information collected and used in accordance with our privacy policy.