Bitchin' Blog Posts
First: NEWS! Which isn't new news, but I'm still thinking about it.
Literary god Jonathan Franzen decided that ebooks are horrible and immoral and paper books have a tangible longevity that is superior to digital.
Yeah, whatever. Here's my question: I think there needs to be a term for book format prejudice, and it works both ways. There are snide comments made about paper by ebook lovers, and equally snide Franzenesque comments about digital from those who prefer paper. Folks who like audiobooks also report snide comments, so there has to be a term to sum them all up, one that's as inclusive and descriptive as possible. I mean, do people grouse about large-print books being for all those amoral people who can't see the .8 font size of a mass market paperback? It's ridiculous.
Theresa Romain suggested Bookotry, a pastiche of "book" and "bigotry." I also like Book Bigot.
Heather Ponzer suggested Printist, and comments like Franzens would then be labeled Printentious.
Llmysticowl suggested Biblioformist.
Maggie Robinson suggested Page Rage, which also works. And Tina suggests Biblio-biased.
What do you think? What would be a good term for the cross-format prejudice?
Second: ebooks on sale! I've linked to a SB review when possible. My suggestion: buy books 1 and 2 of Julia Spencer-Fleming's series on sale because they are SO worth the experience. There's a strong romantic thread through all of them, and the build-up is addictive reading.
In the Bleak Midwinter (#1 in series) by Julia Spencer-Fleming * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
SB Grade: A- (Look, I couldn't recommend this series unless I assault you with a book. It's amazing.)
A Fountain Filled with Blood (#2 in series) by Julia Spencer-Fleming * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
SB Grade: B
- This is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- The Borrowers by Mary Norton * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Dangerous Race by Dee J. Adams * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Nightwalker (Dark Days) by Jocelynn Drake * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- In My Heart by Melody Thomas * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- The Scent of Shadows (Sign of the Zodiac, Book 1) by Vicki Pettersson * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Dark Time (Mortal Path) by Dakota Banks * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- My Heart May Be Broken, But My Hair Still Looks Great by Dixie Cash * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Still in My Heart by Kathryn Smith * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- To Love a Thief by Julie Ann Long * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
Lucien's Fall by Barbara Samuel * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
SB Grade: B+ (*Free for Amazon Prime Members to borrow)
- Master of Paradise by Virginia Henley * $0.00 * A | BN | K | S
- Home By Morning by Alexis Harrington * $0.00 * A | BN | K | S
- Sings of a Wicked Duke by Sophie Jordan * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
- A Duke's Night of Sin by Kathryn Caskie * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Once Upon a Winter's Eve Novella by Tessa Dare * $0.79 * A | BN | K | S
- The Other Guy's Bride by Connie Brockway * $0.00 * A | BN | K | S
- Mad About the Duke by Elizabeth Boyle * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Never Dare a Duke by Gayle Callen * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Northern Exposure: Compass Brothers Book 1 by Mari Carr and Jayne Rylon * $2.62 * A | BN | K | S
- Trouble at the Wedding: Abandoned at the Altar by Laura Lee Guhrke * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Lady of the Storm (Elven Lords) by Kathryne Kennedy * $1.79 * A | BN | K | S
- Fire Lord's Lover (Elven Lords) by Kathryne Kennedy * $1.79 * A | BN | K | S
- God Bless Your, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Infinity: Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Blood Song by Cat Adams * $0.00 * A | BN | K | S
- Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure by Diane Kelly * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Cheri on Top by Susan Donovan * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
ETA: I am a big doofus - I forgot the EIKAL Sale!
- Everything I Know about Love, I Learned from Romance Novels by Sarah Wendell * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
But wait: I found a few more non-book sales that might be Relevant to Your Interests.