NPR: 2008’s Sexiest Plagiarism Scandal

It seems, as many readers said to me, that NPR cannot get enough of Ferrets and all things Cassie Edwards. The plagiarism scandal was discussed on NPR’s Justice Talking, although when specifically I am not sure, as I haven’t been able to load the mp3. I imagine it’s not directly related to the larger discussion highlighted on that page about the FCC’s “new rules for media ownership.”

And should you be wishing for more of Mr. Tolme, there’s an extended interview with him on the NPR page of their coverage. It’s about 17 minutes long, so it surely doesn’t qualify as a sound bite. At least I don’t think it’s a “bite.” More like a major meal. I hope it brings increased job opportunities to Mr. Tolme, who continues to handle the entirety with class and style.

The Talk of the Nation blog continues the discussion as well.

General Bitching...

NHS says:

Did it bother anyone else that every caller was a man when the host asked for romance writers to call. I wonder how hard it is to get through?

Can I get a shirt that says “Is that a Ferret in your loincloth or are you just happy to see me”

schrödinger's cat says:

The “Talk of the Nation blog” link doesn’t work, or is this just me?

Jules Jones says:

Not just you, Schrodinger’s cat.

NHS says:

I got in just fine but I was already listening to NPR over the web so the link was already up and it just switched over to that story.

SB Sarah says:

Ooops. Fixed the link to the blog. Sorry about that.

Becca says:

Talk of the Nation blog:

scroll down to the Sexy Ferrets section. There’s only 4 comments there so far, so I don’t know whether this is the discussion the SBs meant.

In a few years time I see a animated Disney movie based on this situation, completely from the ferret’s POV.

Paul Tolme will voice the male lead, of course…
    His name?
    Ferrhett Butler.

GrowlyCub says:

I tried to listen to the segment but while it will start, it keeps stopping a couple of minutes in and goes back to other stories.  Anybody else having that issue?

I noticed on the blog comments that Tolme said something about ferrets and loincloths… I could have sworn I saw that here first several days ago.  Did he plagiarize one of our own????

saltypepper says:

Sexiest plagiarism scandal of 2008?!

Oh come on now, the year is young yet—we’re not even through January.  Anything could happen in the next 11.5 months!

soco says:

But really what could be sexier than “Romancing the Ferret”?

Yeah, that was my first reaction – all the callers are male (and none that seemed like romance readers).

My 2nd disappointment was no mention of Nora’s challenge and the 10K of donations that were raised here.  Maybe Paul didn’t know about it??

Kassiana says:

I want to know what we’re supposed to be ashamed of. Discovering plagiarism?

azteclady says:

I think that the two guys on NPR are more embarrassed whenever they have to mention SEX than it’s warranted.

Still, nice voice, Mr Tolmé.

Robin says:

Ferrets may be sexy now, but Kensington choosing this moment to re-issue a Cassie Edwards novel—Falcon Moon—through Fictionwise isn’t, IMO, especially in the absence of any public statement on the issue.

azteclady says:

Robin, I read that headline over at Dear Author, but I didn’t know where to comment over there. I’m wondering if because the AP and other news pieces don’t specifically mention books released by either Kensington or Dorchester, that those two publishers may hope to fly under the radar on this?

christine says:

The Cassie Edwards saga was also featured on Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! on NPR in their ‘Bluff the Listener’ segment.  The funny thing was that the contestant didn’t think it was the true story.

christine says:

Oops, I guess everyone already know about the wait, wait don’t tell me segment since it was posted earlier.  I guess I should have wait, waited.

Cori says:

“Is that a ferret in your loincloth, or are you just happy to see me?” Sounded like a scripted end line, but it still had me giggling. The whole interview was amusing, especially the delicacy with which the guys tried to avoid the S-E-X word.

Oh, and I didn’t have any trouble downloading, so it may be fixed now.

Paul has a great voice!

Too bad he didn’t mention Nora’s brilliant idea, or the generous donations this controversy has elicited for our beloved BFFs.

I think the segment would have been much more interesting if they’d had Nora talking with him as a caller!

spamblocker: almost93 *God I hope night, although there are days I feel like it!*

Theresa Meyers says:

Sorry – *night* should be not…ever have those keyboard gremlins take over your words and insert unintended words for you???

talpianna says:

I quoted the line “Is that a ferret in your loincloth, or are you just glad to see me?” here.  I saw it (and acknowledged the source!) as a comment on Dave Barry’s blog.

WV: somewhat66—at least not yet 666

Teddy Pig says:

Ferret Media Bias!

SAM says:

Robin:

Falcon Moon, published by Signet, came out a few weeks ago.  Actually, it came out ahead of schedule.

Oh…it’s not a re-release.

LadyRhian says:

Not a re-release? Given everything she has plagiarized, how could you tell? And yeah, I saw the book myself. Wish I had a sticker reading “Plagiarist!” I could have stuck on the book.

talpianna says:

SAM: I wonder if this is the book that was originally announced as STOLEN THUNDER?  Title changed to protect the guilty…

DS says:

Amazon has release date as 1/2/08.  Two reviews.  One was HK—4 stars, the other was a disgruntled buyer who wanted her money back.  It’s not doing well at all.  The ranking overall is 46,335 as compared to the 100th most popular romance novel (Freehan’s Magic in the Wind which was released originally 9/2005 but has a special $2.99 promo price)at ranked at 3,302.  Falcon is, however, the 3rd best selling Cassie Edwards book on Amazon.

Someone who reads here tried to start a discussion thread about the plagiarism issue 1/10 but couldn’t even attract a defender.

jmc says:

Falcon Moon may not be a high seller at Amazon, but I noticed it on a mmp end cap display at B.Dalton last night.  That particular bookstore gets a huge amount of foot traffic from commuters and travelers; the end caps are pretty ravaged by the end of the day.  There were only two copies left; normally 8-10 are set out daily.  So some people are still buying.

Jana Oliver says:

As a regular contributor to the Prairie Wildlife Research’s Ferret Adoption Program, I’m lovin’ this controversy. Black-footed ferrets are cool. I even have one in my books. Maybe I should write in a tiny loincloth. Nyah…

kate r says:

hey, in the interview Paul Tolme says “Not the best example of the genre” Yowza, that’s a lovely change in his basic text.

The man is a class act and a good sport even if he won’t take off the shirt and let a wild ferret trash his shoulder.

Yet this “Passionate and frisky bunch” he mentions—is he really talking romance readers or maybe he’s back to ferrets again?

kate r says:

hey, yeah, why not both? Readers and ferrets! Together, cavorting and squealing [don’t ferrets squeal? or squeak?]….a passionate frisking on the mossy banks of a river.

sigh. I love HEAs