Covers & Cocktails: Fall Libations!

Last month, we shared an apple cider Manhattan recipe inspired by The City We Became by NK Jemisin, and it’s become one of our go-to recipes.

I also linked to the source of our Alcoholic Wonder Cherry recipe. I know many of you were thinking of trying the homemade Luxardo cherries we made (we’ve since made a batch with frozen store-brand cherries and they are delicious) – have you tried them out? I’m thinking of making some as gifts for neighbors for the holidays.

This month, I wanted to invite you to share your favorite cocktail – alcoholic or non-alcoholic – recipe for fall! What are you drinking as the nights turn dark and cool?

My go-to cocktail is a mixed up variation of (I think) a Light & Stormy:

• 1.5-2oz gin (depends on what kind of day it’s been)
  • 1/2 of a 12.5 (375mL) container of ginger beer (I like Bundaberg, but I love spicy ginger beer if I can find it)
  • juice of 1/2 a lime
  • a splash of apple cider (maybe 1-2 oz total)
  • 1 Alcoholic Wonder Cherry and a bit of the liquid they live in (maybe 1/2 tsp)

Stir and drink with as silly a straw as possible. Extra silly straws optional but recommended.

Claudia: I love sweet and sour drinks, so usually I go for a Sidecar, with Cointreau and lemon juice, or a Caipirinha with muddled fresh lime and sugar.

Amanda:  What about boozy fall treats? We put Fireball in our hot crans and spoon that over pound cake or ice cream.

Sarah: Oh yeahhhh – can you share a quick recap of Hot Crans: The Recipe?

Amanda: Cranberries and sugar in a saucepan! You want to break the crans down and then add as little or as much booze.

Catherine Heloise:  I don’t really drink, but here’s a boozy dessert. Soak a handful of raisins in rum for an hour or so. Slice a couple of bananas fairly thickly. Melt some butter and brown sugar in a pan, add the bananas and cook until they are getting a bit caramelised. Add the raisins and rum to the pan, set on fire! Serve with ice cream.

Quantities are vague because my husband doesn’t eat bananas so I haven’t made this in ages. But also because it’s a fairly forgiving recipe.

What about you? What are your favorite libations for autumn? Please share links or recipes! Or, if you’re in the southern hemisphere, where the days are getting longer and the pollen count is getting higher, please tell what are you sipping lately?

Covers & Cocktails

Add Your Comment →

Carrie G says:

I enjoy ginger beer with rum. Lime would probably work well with it, so I’ll give that a try. A Cuba Libre (rum and coke with lime) is my go to drink. Or a really well made Cosmopolitan or frozen daiquiri when I’m out. I might have a thing for lime juice and cocktails.

Konst. says:

Classic Italian Spritz with Campari for warmer evenings and Old Fashioned with Burbon for the cooler ones.
    Both bring memories of great evenings with friends, pre-corona…

Pear says:

Okay, so I hope I’ve linked it correctly in the “website” line, but I’ve been making something recently from the Lifehacker 3-Ingredient Happy Hour series — it’s apple-y and spice-y and delightful, and I don’t think it exactly has a name, so I’ll have to come up with something. My local liquor store was out of Applejack so I’ve been using Calvados, but it’s mostly apple brandy with some Benedictine (which is herbal but also has a nice touch of honey to it) and lemon juice. I don’t have a cocktail shaker and even if I did, I’m tired of washing additional dishes, so I just build it in the glass over ice. My building has switched to heat, even though the weather has been in the ~70s this week, so I will not be voluntarily drinking warm beverages for a while.

Otherwise, I’m likely to do bourbon or whiskey on the rocks.

I am thinking of picking up some Lillet Rouge and nicer tonic water to do Lillet & Tonics for the holidays. Two ounces of Lillet Rouge, four ounces of tonic, an orange wedge, should be a good time!

Ashley M. says:

A One Way Ticket, which is pineapple passionfruit cider with white and dark rum. I’ll use whatever rum I have on hand, which is usually spiced and/or coconut.

I’ll also make boozy hot chocolate. Peppermint schnapps is classic, but more often I’ll do triple sec which makes it taste like those chocolates shaped like oranges you have to smack on the counter to open. I’ll also spike with a white chocolate liqueur, because adding chocolate to chocolate never leads you wrong.

Penny says:

A Devil’s Margarita (a standard offering at my favorite local Some Random Bar, but I learned how to make at home this year)

~1.5 oz blanco tequila (I tend to do more around 2oz, I like it strong)
    -1 oz lime juice
    -0.5 to 1 oz agave or simple syrup (depends on your sweetness preference & what you’ve got on hand)
    -0.5 oz red wine (Carménère or Cabernet, something with good body and a little fruity)

Shake everything but the wine with ice, strain into your glass. Gently pour in the red wine so it floats.

Penny says:

Also good? Coffee old fashioned. Bourbon, chocolate bitters, cold brew, simple syrup if you want it (I like my coffee old fashioned black).

DonnaMarie says:

Is it a cocktail if it involves hot chocolate? I make the recipe from the Hershey’s cocoa can, add a tsp of orange extract then a shot of kahlua to the mug. It’s dreary, rainy, cold and way too early in the day, but I’m thinking it’s another quarantine weekend. Who cares if I start drinking at 2:00 in the afternoon?

Also, not a cocktail, but we had a beer tasting during my Outlander vacation earlier this month, and a couple of them could maybe turn me into a beer drinker. In particular, if you can get your hands on it, the Highland Brewing Black Mocha Stout. I KNOW!! A month ago I’d have said there was no way you could get me to drink a Stout, let alone one with chocolate & coffee, but I stand corrected. I can see sitting by a fire pit on a chilly evening with a pint in hand.

They also did a yummy maple/orange Manhattan. No boozy cherry, just a plain maraschino, but still wonderfully drinkable. I’ll be doing a little experimenting to recreate it because I, of course, neglected to ask cute bartender boy how to make it.

kat_blue says:

Totally second Black Mocha Stout from Highland, it’s my fav offering from them. If you’re into beer-with-stuff, it’s the sort that would go well in a milkshake or mixed with chocolate.

Also seconding boozy hot chocolate. Mine: Heat up a mug of milk with a hefty amount of head space, like no more than 2/3 full. In a microwavable dish, melt dark/semi-sweet chocolate chips, probs like 1-2 Tbsp if you need to measure; put them in for 30 sec, stir until as smooth as you can get it, do another 10 sec if you need to & stir again. To the melted chocolate, add chai masala or pumpkin spice or apple pie spice (or homebrew it, you want heavy cinnamon notes and some nutmeg/ginger to round it out, can add any other spices that go well with that). Scoop choco-mix into hot milk & stir until dissolved. Stir in a shot–or, let’s be real, a glug–of Kahlua. Usually so sweet I don’t want to add any sugar but I mean, to your taste. What I’d drink in front of the fire after walking the dog through the snow.

Non-alcoholic, do a London Fog–Earl Grey tea with some vanilla extract or vanilla sugar, top with foamed milk. I add vanilla to the milk before frothing it (IDK who bought a milk frother in this household but I mean, we use it)

I also do my grandmother’s eggnog, but uh…that’s not for everybody. It includes raw egg for starters haha. One of those drinks that just brings back memories

Maeve says:

My procedure for boozy hot chocolate is to top off my mug with Bailey’s Irish Cream.

Kareni says:

Unadulterated hot chocolate here, morning and sometimes evening.

Penny says:

You know what I wish we could do? An SBTB happy hour… I just wanna sip on a drink with the very cool people here….

Kris Bock says:

I will have to try chai spice in hot chocolate. For those of you who like ginger, a friend got a ginger liqueur that was delightful and could be fun to mix into things. Sorry, I don’t know the name, but I don’t imagine there are too many variations.