Bitchin' Blog Posts
My Give-a-Shit is long broken, but given my reaction in the last 20 minutes, my Holy Shit is in fine working order.
It is not clear how much Amazon is paying for the year-old company with offices in Austin and Portland. But the move indicates Amazon wants to consolidate its position on mobile devices, particularly within Apple’s ecosystem, which may include a tablet computer later this year.
According to the Lexcycle blog announcement,
We are not planning any changes in the Stanza application or user experience as a result of the acquisition. Customers will still be able to browse, buy, and read ebooks from our many content partners. We look forward to offering future products and services that we hope will resonate with our passionate readers.
Behold, a list because my brain is spinning.
- My stomach literally dropped when I read that.
- Amazon doesn’t support ePub - is this a sign of changes to come? And how does Stanza/iPhone/Apple play out with Amazon/Kindle platform? What’s the ultimate result in terms of format, reader device, and reader option going to be? Where does this leave Fictionwise?
- Similar to the possibilities of the Barnes & Noble/Fictionwise merger, this acquisition raises a wealth of possibilities, only instead of excited, I’m nursing some serious dread in terms of what the monolith could do with Lexcycle.
- Marc Prudhommeaux, Neelan Choksi and crew are some fine, hardworking people who really are, frankly, visionaries. And as Jane pointed out some weeks ago, Bezos himself is a visionary in terms of how he has positioned Amazon to become a true monolithic entity in all media publications, including becoming a publisher.
Putting aside my regard for Amazon for the moment (which is to say, the fact that I have very little) I imagine this is a huge deal for the Lexcycle crew. Congratulations guys - I imagine this is life-changing for you.
- I, along with many other ebook fanatics who are not as in favor of the Kindle as we are of the Sony Reader family are all wondering at every angle what this means. Judging from the Twitter feed, “concerned” is probably the most gentle word I could use.
ETA: My request for a quote from Lexcycle was directed to an @amazon.com email address - so information looks to be short and minimal for the time being. As of this posting Neelan’s twitter feed has nothing, and the information I can find direct from an individual, beyond a statement from a corporate source, is scarce. No word on price yet, either. I’m predicting at least $10mm, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was more.
What do you think it means? And what’s your over/under on the price tag?