Friday Videos Are Unexpectedly Educational

From Maree Anderson comes Ylvis, who brought you What Does the Fox Say. This is their auto-tuned rap from two years ago:

Link

I am thinking that most videos are NSFW, but this is a bit more on the NS side, yo.

And I'm surprisingly well-informed about many things now!

I hope yur weekend has the best hot tubs money can buy. And if not hot tubs, something else you like.

Friday Videos

denise says:

time for you to watch their Stonehenge video

LML says:

One of my favorite things about SBTB is the variety in Friday Videos.  They introduce me to so many new ideas.  For the first time, I did not like today’s video—I find it sexist—but haven’t managed to articulate to myself why I found it sexist.

PamG says:

I didn’t much care for it either.  And yeah, it seems sexist to me too, though I laughed at the careful distinctions between working and employment.  While it is undeniably clever, the women are merely backdrop. Having both double entendre and technical/medical terminology applied equally to sex and hot tub maintenance does seem a mite like objectification.  Also, the use of “bitches” in this video makes any smarts they might have kind of extraneous.

SB Sarah says:

I’m sorry that you didn’t like it, LML and PamG. I’m sorry you were disappointed and that it rubbed you wrong.

Since I sent this link to Sarah in the first place, I feel obliged to also tender my apologies to those who didn’t appreciate it. Any deeper meaning that could be taken from it just didn’t occur to me; all I saw was a group poking fun at today’s often rather explicit rap videos. Again, my apologies.

Katherine C. says:

What. The hell? I wasn’t offended, just wondering why the hell we’re rapping about the inner workings of lady parts and hot tubs?

LML says:

Oh, I wasn’t offended at all.  I just thought ‘ick’.  Then I tried to figure out precisely why.  PamG’s comments helped me there.  Following denise’s suggestion, I watched their Stonehenge (and Fox) videos and found them creative, interesting and only a little strange.

Thank you, Sarah, for the bonus videos!  They were a lovely surprise.

Sarah says:

I actually found this hilarious. I liked how they took key elements of rap videos (nekkid ladies and hot tubs) and poked fun at ridiculousness of it all while giving us some facts as well. I also love how they wrote the fox song to be the ultimate anti hit and it has backfired on them.

Carey H says:

I think the point (if any Ylvis video has a deliberate point) is to poke fun at the unthinking sexism in typical rap videos. Just like the “Jan Egelund” video pokes fun at the unthinking/subconscious homoeroticism of hard rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-oemgzlEU&list=TL2pUm924xo9MU9nf4FehWNzhUKLi85YSO

They don’t really make a value judgement – they just point it out in a humorous way.

LaineyT says:

I was just happy to have discovered the “What does the Fox Say” video, thanks to this link from this post (apparently, I’ve been out of the loop regarding the latest viral vids).  That was hilarious!!

Elise Logan says:

I liked it. It amused me and educated me at the same time. The thing I found most distressing about the video was when he was licking the hot tub. That was weird.

And I agree with Carey H that it struck me as strongly satirical, rather than sexist.

*shrug*

E

PamG says:

Apologies unnecessary.  À chacun son goût….  Still, any action that yields dogs is a win!