Help A Bitch Out

HaBO: Nalini Singh Is Looking for a Book

help a bitch outNalini Singh wrote to me asking for help finding a book she read a long time ago:

I'm pretty sure it's a Western novella that was published some time back. The heroine is the daughter of a rich landowner, and Evil Guy tries to forcibly compromise her at a party so that she'll be forced to marry him. Except she's saved by young Heroic Cowboy, but then there's a problem because Evil Guy *did* manage to ruin her in some fashion, so she has to marry him.

Clearly, she doesn't want to, but if she doesn't marry, then her life will be over.

In steps Heroic Cowboy – who has been in love with her forever – and says he'll marry her instead. He's not rich, but the heroine and her parents both like him better than smarmy Evil Guy, so everyone agrees. Hero and heroine move out to Heroic Cowboy's remote cabin, and the majority of the story takes place there, and from what I recall that story is ADORABLE!

The hero doesn't think he's good enough to touch the heroine (he's as young as she is), and the heroine has no idea how to seduce her husband, even though she really wants to. Ensue the adorableness.

I have Googled the heck out of this without success. Now I throw myself on the resources of the Bitchery, because I really, really want to reread the story.

Do you recall this book? I totally want to read this, too.

Help a Bitch Out

Sarah says:

Hmm…is it ‘Jesse’s Wife’ by Kristin James?  It was an older story but HQN republished it in a wedding anthology a few years ago: http://amzn.to/109tVDR

Nalini Singh says:

Sarah, you’re amazing!!  I think this is it. Thank you :)

Sarah says:

Excellent! I’ve been waiting for forever to get a HaBO right, and now I get to help out THE Nalini Singh.  Win-win all around! :)

Nalini Singh says:

And it’s available for sale on eHqn! I know what I’ll be reading tomorrow. (Did you know this is Candace Camp? I just found out when looking up the author to see her other books.) Thanks again! This has been driving me nuts for a while.

Sarah, thank you so much! (I lost two hours today trying to find the right anthology before giving up in defeat. Nothing enlivens a Saturday like “I know that story, I used to own the anthology but where is it now, do I still own it, what was the title and who else was in it?… I wasn’t even close. (I was searching through western anthologies.))

school13: yes, I was likely still in school when I first read the story

Oops, I accidentally deleted the ” after the question mark.

SB Sarah says:

Awe. Some.

Cait says:

I checked on Fantastic Fiction for the author and then the Anthology title – PROMISED BRIDES. and then my list and I have the book.  At one time I bought every anthology I saw.  The problem is authors won’t quit writing long enought for me to get around to all the books I already have…..about 8000!

Yes, PROMISED BRIDES looks familiar, and the third story in it sounds familiar (unlike the third story in the e-anthology that’s available now).

Sveta says:

Gee, I was going to mention Jesse’s Wife as well :( I found it a sweet story and its one of the first romance novellas I read…

ragencyfan93 says:

A key feature of Jesse’s Wife is that she was always reading.  And he admired that about her!