Help A Bitch Out

HaBO: A Romance Heroine Named Avrielle

Help a Bitch OutMolly writes in with this request – and this one is a challenge. Her subject line: “In competition for the oddest query yet:”

As my subject line hints, I have a very strange question for you. When/before I was born, my mother had planned to name me Avrielle (or possible Avril, though she always pronounced it more like Avrielle). Ultimately, her mother changed her mind; when I asked about it, my mother said she'd seen it in a book and liked it.

It didn't occur to me until recently that she wasn't a big reader (after I was born, anyway) and that the few books I know of that she read were all romances. Thus, I've concluded that I was probably named after a romance novel heroine (or possibly, author).

However, my google-fu has let me down, and my mother passed away a decade ago, so sadly, I can't ask her. I'm not expecting a miracle, here — I know it's a long shot, but I figured if anyone else might have the answer to my question it would be the ladies at smartbitchestrashybooks.com.

Other than the name, the only info I have is that I was born in September 1979, so the book would have to have been published by then (though it wouldn't necessarily have to been hot off the presses by any means) and it would definitely have been in English.

Now that's a challenge. Do you recall any romance novels with a heroine named Avrielle?

Help a Bitch Out

Mims says:

Was your mom a fan of L.M. Montgomery?  In the third book of the Anne Shirley series, Anne writes a romance called ‘Averil’s Atonement’.  She tries to sell it to some magazines, but it gets rejected.  Finally her best friend Diana adds a line to sell baking soda and sends it off to a contest from a baking company.  It wins and Anne is a bit mortified.

Sycorax says:

That was my immediate thought, Mims!

It’s sci-fi, not romance, but one of the villains in Anne McCaffrey’s first Pern book, Dragonsdawn, is named Avril Bitra.

Lostshadows says:

@Christina McPants

Dragonsdawn(1988) is actually a pretty late Pern book. Dragonsflight(1968) is actually the first one.

Lisa says:

@Lostshadows

Unless Christina meant it chronologically, in which case Dragonsdawn is, I believe, the first in the series. But that does place it long after the birth of the author.

Barbara Cartland’s “Light of the Moon, pub. 1979, has an Avril.

Emily A. says:

It sounds like it could be Barbara Cartland. She had a lot of heroines with odd names.

Kate says:

“Everlasting” by Kathleen Woodiwiss has a heroine named Abrielle .

Stacey says:

So much better then my name-ing story; for years, my mom told me that she named me after the Lee Majors character in The Big Valley. When I finally sat down to watch an episode, I thought, “My name isn’t HEATH!” It took many more years (with Mom continuing to insist if it was that show, it was another Lee Majors role!) before I tracked it down (thanks to Google-fu, of course) to find I’d been named after a character on The Virginians. She STILL insists it was Lee Majors (it wasn’t).

Molly Church says:

Oh my gosh you guys! Thank you so much for so many great suggestions!

I’m leaning towards Cartland, all things considered, but I’m going to have fun looking at the various possibilities.

Jordie says:

Could it be ‘Aurielle’ by Annabel Irwin?

Molly Church says:

I’ll add it to the list, thank you!