Classic Romance - Which One First? Teresa Medeiros Edition

A stack of books with an e-reader on top that says Time for another Classic Romance: Which One First? recommendation-a-thon-a-ganza! It can be intimidating to look at an author's back list and try to figure out where to begin – especially when a selection of them are on sale.

Teresa Medeiros is one author whose backlist I'm somewhat familiar with, and six of her books are on sale digitally right now, so it seemed a good time to discuss: which Medeiros book would you recommend a new reader try first?

I'm personally a happy-sigh fan of her fairy-tale retellings, especially  Charming the Prince (A | BN | K | S) and The Bride and the Beast (A | BN | K | S).

I wasn't mad about The Devil Wears Plaid, though I enjoyed it, and alas I didn't enjoy Goodnight Tweetheart at all. Her historicals are definitely my favorites.

What about you? I'll compile your recommendations in about a week for those who are curious. Which Medeiros books do you recommend for first-time readers?

TaraR says:

I read Charming the Prince first, and adored it. But my favorite would have to be Yours Til Dawn. I still reread it from time to time.

Kim in Hawaii says:

I loved the BRIDE AND THE BEAST and YOURS UNTIL DAWN.  I also enjoyed her historical paranormals, AFTER MIDNIGHT and THE VAMPIRE WHO LOVED ME.

ThingsAlySays says:

Saraaaah! Would you consider making a “Best of” old romance novels (over 20 years old)? Something for the readers who are only familiar with younger novels?

Jane Smith says:

I tried “The Vampire Who Loved Me” and really really struggled with it. I couldn’t get into it – I think that after the quarter of the book, I skim-read it to find out what happened, and ended up cataloguing it as a “Buffy & Angel” ripoff.

I am curious what others would recommend I read if I wanted to try her novels again.

Beccah W. says:

I’ve been remembering The Bride and The Beast but couldn’t remember the title or author! Yay I’m so happy right now :D

RJ says:

I agree with those who sugested Yours Until Dawn.  This was my first Medeiros, and after reading it i glomned most of her historicals.

LoriS says:

Nodding. Yours Until Dawn was my first, and favorite.

Dagny Olivares says:

The first one that I loved by her was “A Whisper of Roses”—the angst and melodrama just sang to my high school heart. And since we are talking about classic romances, I would recommend starting with something like this since it was published almost 20 years ago. I confess that the mid-2000s don’t feel that classic to me.

I also remember enjoying “Breath of Magic” my freshman year of college, though recognizing that it had some flaws. And I know I enjoyed the others of that era (mostly covers with a beach and pretty flotsom) but I can’t remember much. Was there a pirate in one? And maybe some time in Australia? Oh well, they are happy (if fleeting) memories.

I started reading Teresa Medeiros after my first RWA meeting when someone remarked I had the same last name as one of her favorite romance authors (this was many, many years ago.) I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for Heather and Velvet.

Alison Kale says:

I love A Kiss to Remember so, so much. A duck (a rake, of course) loses his memory and is convinced he’s a rector’s daughter’s fiance? It’s better than that Goldie Hawn movie. And it’s very funny.

Also, like Dagny said, A Whisper of Roses (along with Thief of Hearts and Once an Angel) were perfect for my sixteen-year-old heart (And themed covers!) Once of Angel had a pretty awesome New Zealand setting for the first part, Thief was my favorite pirate book ever (She meets him again and doesn’t know he’s the pirate! Craziness ensues) and Whisper is all sorts of love/hate between childhood frenemies. In the Highlands. There’s always hidden identities and huge reveals and secret connections. It was very satisfying.

I think I need to go reread these books now.

Ren says:

I know what you meant, but there are no words to describe how desperately I want to read a story about a rakish amnesiac duck in love with a rector’s daughter.

Steph says:

I’ve read almost all her books but Yours Until Dawn is still my favorite.

mojostables says:

I concur with all those above that recommended, Yours Until Dawn.

hapax says:

My first Medeiros were the time travel duology, BREATH OF MAGIC and TOUCH OF ENCHANTMENT, and they still remain my favorites.  Funny, magical, and swoonily romantic.

Jules says:

Medeiros is mixed bag of all sorts of goodies. She has Scottish romances, time travel, fairy tales, paranormal. medieval… I mean anything that floats your boat she probably has.

As for me, I am going to echo the sentiment of loving Yours Until Dawn. My sister’s favorite is the vampire duo: After Midnight and The Vampire Who Loved Me which in my opinion make a lot more sense read in order (or at least pack a punch).

Shadows and Lace and The Bride and the Beast I remember really liking as well.

Blossom says:

This is a tough one. I love her books! I first read her Vampire books. I loved them! They are keepers on my shelves. Charming the Prince and Yours Till Dawn are good too. I haven’t read her latest yet.

I’m telling you… Nobody’s Darling is EXCELLENT.  (I have only TWO favorite Westerns – and that’s one of them!)  I’d say Bride and the Beast if the reader likes historicals/fairy tales, or Charming the Prince.  I’d say Your Until Dawn is also great (and bust out the tissues! :)).  Touch of Enchantment too!

Ropergirl says:

My first Fabio cover was Teresa Medeiros’ Heather and Velvet. Cue sexy Highlander and a bluestocking in spectacles (which I also sported in the mid-90’s.. ). I still adore it as a sweet romance of fuzzy and warm HEA.

Absolutely, without question, Thief of Hearts! not just my favorite TM book, but one of my favorite historical romances of all time.

Alison Kale says:

That would be the best story ever. Also, it should be a gif.

MKthor says:

I don’t remember all the Teresa Medeiro books I’ve read. But the one that’s stuck with me the most is Yours Until Dawn. I loved the redemption and healing aspects of the story. The Hero pulled me right into the drama. Once I returned the book to the library, I immediately went out and bought myself a copy so I could read it over and over again.

samalamadingdong says:

I would recommend The Bride and The Beast as well as Yours until Dawn. The few others that I’ve read I could leave or take.

Krista says:

Charming the Prince is the only book by TM that I’ve kept.  I read it at least once a year.

Amanda M Garlock says:

I re-read “Nobody’s Darling” all the time.  And I HATE Westerns.  I hate all the cliches of Westerns.  I HATE COWBOYS.  But every time “ND” is in at the library, I pick it up to read it again, I love it that much.

Noelinya says:

My favorites are Yours until dawn and Charming the prince. The others are not as good IMO.

Ladyv00 says:

Charming the Prince has so far been my favorite.  I normally don’t care for kids as an active part of romance novels, but in this book they made me LOL repeatedly.

Crystal F. says:

The only one I’ve read so far is Charming the Prince. I really liked the humor in it. The Bride and the Beast might be one of my next purchases.

JordanMichelle says:

Yours Until Dawn is one of my romance favorites. I just bought Charming the Prince, so I’ll have to give it a try.

Dwndrgn says:

I feel like such an idiot.  I know I’ve read several of her books, I was at a point some (read ‘many’) years ago when I couldn’t find a new one to enjoy in my local library.  The kicker is that I don’t remember a single title or story.  I’m sure if I read the blurbs I’d remember if I read them or not but off of the top of my head I can’t recall a thing!  Embarrassing!  I may have to reread them all to atone.

I do recall that many of the ones I enjoyed were historicals with paranormal aspects, time travel and the like.  Hm.  I may have to go make a list and check out the library to redeem myself.

Npinder says:

I might be the only person to love SHADOWS AND LACE…