Whatcha Reading? Holiday Long Weekend Edition (If You’re, You Know, in the US)

Open book with a road and a tree beneath a sky of blue with fat ass clouds. If you're in the US, it's a four-day weekend, unless you're in the US AND located in western Pennsylvania, where I grew up. Then you might also have Monday off because it's the first day of deer season. I had off school when I was a kid, anyway, and was all afronted when I had to go to work the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. Don't you people know it's the first day of deer hunting season and we should all be home reading books?!

Anyway. Sometimes I think vacation reading comes with a lot of pressure. The books must be good, if I save them for vacation! But then, I'm also surrounded by a lot of (very loud)(omg)(seriously) family for most of the weekend, and tend to grab my Kindle and go hide in a closet for an hour to read. And at that point, I'm so desperate for silence I could be reading a digitized version of my scanner's instruction manual written, and it'd be the Bestest Thingest Everest.

So what's on your reading schedule for this weekend? Long weekend or ordinary weekend, there must be some reading, right? Are you saving something special for long trips and traveling, or are you hiding in a closet with me to escape the noise? Whatcha reading?

Random Musings

Loni says:

I’ll probably be going through the huge collection of old 80s and 90s Harlequins my Grand Aunt had accumulated but mostly I think I’ll be re reading Shelly Laurenston Magnus Pack books again.

DesLivres says:

I have just finished the final MJ Putney Dark Mirror book (recommend the trilogy – it’s young adult – high school students from 1802 and 1940 time travelling to around hitler and napoleon’s invasions of Britain), and am miserably creeping around Amazon, smart bitches and dear author, looking for something *good* to read. So thankyou Sarah for starting this thread!

Jaelwye says:

I’m reading The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. It’s a military sci fi series but it has a great protagonist and a nice romance arc to go with all the exploding spaceships.

LG says:

I was in a HUGE reading slump, which I think I’ve finally managed to break out of. I just finished Rat: How the World’s Most Notorious Rodent Clawed Its Way to the Top by Jerry Langton. It’s a horrible non-fiction book about rats. I’m also about to finish (finally!) Draykon by Charlotte E. English, which means I’ll be choosing a new e-book to read soon. I’m very excited – I have so much to choose from.

My paper fiction reading right now is Monsoon Wedding Fever by Shoma Narayanan.

Pat says:

Just finished Nora Roberts latest in the Boonsboro series and unfortunately did not enjoy it anymore than the other two. Her characters and particularly the dialogue between characters just doesn’t feel authentic any more. And the ghost was just silly.  Just started Jill Shalvis ‘s Rescue ny Heart.

Laura says:

I finally read Cinder by Marissa Mayer and I really liked it.  Can’t wait for the rest of the series.  I also read Timeless by Gail Carriger and was glad to read it and finish the series, but I think I’ve gotten rather tired of Alexia.  I kept being disappointed when the action went back to her after scenes with Lyall and Biffy.

I don’t know what I’m going to read next.  I’ve got a ton of needlepoint to do, baby gifts to make and Christmas crafts to start, so I should probably take a break.

Joanngagnier says:

I’m reading With Everything I Am by Kristen Ashley. Long story for a long weekend. Loving it!!

Appomattoxco says:

A lot of the kids in my area of Jersey were Jewish so I had those major holidays off. When we moved to VA and got the first day of hunting season off it seemed crazy. I have a mountain of TBR but can’t settle on anything. I think I may be waiting for the latest Dresden Files.

Pheebers says:

I just reread A Devil in Winter by Kleypas. It’s a real comfort read for me, one of my all-time favorites, and just what I needed as my whole family has colds :(

The Diviners by Libba Bray. Good so far.

Lostshadows says:

Recently started reading Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. I’m on book two*, and I’m hoping I don’t get to book four before Monday, because that’s the earliest ILL can now deliver it.

*Three by reading order.

Jennifer Estep says:

I just finished The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa. Next up, I think I’ll read some contemporary romance. Maybe Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas; Big Sky Mountain by Linda Lael Miller; or the Rescuing Christmas anthology.

Gail Leinweber says:

I started 50 Shades of Grey, put it down a hundred pages in and finished Anthony Bourdain’s Medium Raw instead. I’ll probably finish 50 Shades over the weekend (it’s a library copy with an insane hold queue, I try not to squat on those). Next in my TBR stack are The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt and Frost by Wendy Delsol.

Nita says:

I’ll sneak some reading in on Sunday, my only day off. No rest for the wicked who work retail, y’all. But I’ll finish up Devil in the White City (not a romance) and then start something new. Maybe a Rachel Gibson.

Sewingturtle says:

I have about 100 pages left in Nalini Singh’s Blaze of Memory (i’m a little behind in the series) and then I think I am going to dive into Tart, Lauren Dane’s latest that I got from the library this week.

KarenF says:

Reading Gil McNeil’s “In the Wee Small Hours” … which I had to find from a used dealer here … the first book in the series I read via Nook, and then realized there was a second book, but it wasn’t available as an ebook.  She’s a perfect cozy for the first cold morning of the season (it was 9 degrees when I woke up).

I’m saving Mark Helprin’s “Winter’s Tale” for our first blizzard.

Liz says:

@Jaelwye- I’ve been in a rut, and Jack Campbell’s series sounds like the perfect thing to get me out. Thanks!

Liz says:

Was on a sci-fi kick, but fell into a rut. Switched genres, and just finished the backlists of Josh Laynon (OMG perfect), K.A. Mitchell (yummy angst), and Abigail Roux (the iffiest writing, but fun action)… and now am in a new rut. Will be haunting this post for some rec’s. So far going to check out Jack Campbell’s Lost Fleet series thanks to @Jaelwye. More please :)

Rij says:

Karin Slaughter’s Criminal. I might have to balance it out with something happier so I might make some dents in the pile of unread manga I have somehow managed to cultivate.

A couple of my kids are here and the others keep showing up to eat leftovers, so I put them to work hauling out the Christmas decorations. I’ve managed to reread 3 Sarah Mayberry Blaze titles and Her Best Worst Mistake, along with Kelly Hunter’s With This Fling, a really good HP that I recently discovered. Saving some other new stuff for after December 2 when I’m done with a huge project.

rayvyn2k says:

Read Season of Temptation and Season of Surrender by Theresa Romain and liked them both. Especially the fact that the hero didn’t try to turn “no” into “yes” with his magic sex.

I’m now reading Violet by Lauren Royal. I’ll probably read the other “flower” books in the series, but am finding this one stretching my credulity meter with the match-making momma being so…permissive. And am now at the “magic sex” part.

Sanalayla says:

I LOVED that book. I was so disappointed when I realized it’s the first book in a four book series – and that each book comes out once a year!

Sanalayla says:

Just finished Larissa Ione’s latest (Eternal Rider). Next on the list is a re-read of a Lisa Kleypas’s Wallflower series.

Readsalot81 says:

I bought Heaven and Hell by Kristen Ashley so I can see what everyone is talking about. (yeah, yeah.. I don’t like being left out in the cold).. I also picked up Susana Kearsley’s Mariana which got a really good review from DA. Also on deck : Like No Other Lover by Julie Anne Long, Knaves’ Wager by Loretta Chase, His Yankee Bride by Rose Gordon. I’m pretty set for the holiday I should think :)

RebeccaJ says:

Ahhh, yes, opening day of deer season…a high holy day here in Western Pa. I grew up here and I still find it bizarre when businesses close for the day! I just finished reading “Look Alike Lawman” from the Love Inspired line and now I’m focusing on the Christmas holiday shorts on Kindle. I LOVE a good Christmas romance!

Karenmc says:

I’m reading Midnight Scandals, the anthology by Carolyn Jewel, Courtney Milan and Sherry Thomas. Finished the Jewel last night and quite enjoyed it. I chose novellas rather than a long, time-absorbing book because there’s a new pooch in the house who requires close watching, if ya know what I mean.

Mirandaflynn says:

I’ll be picking up the next Dresden for an upcoming vacation. I’m also saving the new Stephanie Plum. I need really good books on airplanes to distract me.

Miranda

Elyse says:

I’m reading Reading in the Brain: the Science of How We Read. It’s non fiction, but not dry. The author discusses what a complex neurological process reading is and how our brains adapted to do it in the last 4000 years.

Also reading the thriller Cold Granite (set in Scotland—yum) which kept me up all night.

I’m from WI and deer season is done tomorrow. It’s a big deal, but we never got a day off for it. Now I’m jealous!

MissB2U says:

I just finished the Kate Daniels series by Ilone Andrews and am waiting for inspiration.  I’ll re-read “Lord of Scoundrels” because I’ve been sick and it’s just comforting to have an old friend like that to distract one from reality!  Waiting in the library hold queue for “Libromancer” and “Ashes of Honor” the new October Daye novel.  Any good Regency recommendations ladies?

Heather says:

I’m about to start “Leviathan” by Scott Westerfeld. It will be the first non reread in a while

Heather