Help A Bitch Out

S-HaBO-day: Pirates and Sisters and Sequels!

This request comes from Stephanie, who has some excellent old skool plotlines running amok in her head:

Hoping the Bitchery can help me out. I'm looking for a book that I first
read in the early 80's, but I think might have been published in the late
70's and definitely full of Old Skool WTFery. It was one of a pair, and I
only remember a few details. Both books were titled after the Heroine, and
if my memory serves the first book started with an A.

On to the plot: It's the War of 1812 and a young woman winds up being
transported on a privateer along with her sister who is the star of the
sequel? I think she was rescued from English pirates. The first mate on the
privateer is a woman (of the low cut, flouncy white shirt, knee high boots
and two rattling sabres variety).

The captain is oblivious to the first mates lustful gazes and only has eyes
for our heroine. but, because he is a privateer he cannot possibly sully her
innocence. They arrive at Barataria Bay and our heroine meets the Lafitte
brothers, visits the bootleg market and she and the hero exchange smoldering
looks from a distance. Eventually the sisters and the first mate are set up
in their own house with a chaperone and introduced to polite society. I
don't remember why or who was providing the cash. At some point h & h have
sexy times, and what I do remember is he tells her “no one can get pregnant
the first time”! Even as a young teenager I knew that was a pile of
codswallop.

There's a war on, and while h & h are endangered only the secondary
characters die, little sister goes off to have her own book and America
wins. Hero has been bankrupted when Barataria was shut down by the feds, so
now they, h & h (gosh I wish I remembered some names), go off together to
rebuild their lives and fortunes.

I would love to reread this book if only to confirm my horrible memories, so
if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you remember this book? So many of the plot pieces resemble other books I've read, but I read them pretty recently. What do you think it might be?

Help a Bitch Out

Rachel S. says:

Is it “Lady Vixen” by Shirlee Busbee? It definitely takes place during the War of 1812, and I seem to remember them running into Jean Lafitte as some point.

Clbevill says:

What is wrong with me that I want to read this, too?

Char says:

It’s not Lady Vixen by Shirlee Busbee. I finished that one late last year and the heroine in that is the captain’s cabin boy.

I want to read this one too! It’s sound crazy!

Certainly sounds like something one would want to read during the War of 1812 Bicentennial celebration, but this particular HaBo isn’t ringing a bell with me. I thought it might have been Lady Vixen also.

Lisa J says:

My first thought was My Love, My Enermy by Jan Cox Speas, but I know there was no sequel.

PS – I would still love to have Bride of the MacHugh in e format.

Lisa J says:

Enemy – I need to learn to proof what I type.  I miss spell check.

PL says:

Fire and Ice by Catherine Hart?

Stephanie says:

Definitely not Lady Vixen – that`s on my read once a year list! I have been looking for this book for about 5 years and have had no luck.

ms bookjunkie says:

Definitely not Catherine Hart’s FIRE AND ICE. There’s no sister, for one thing, and it takes place before the War of 1812. (The sequel, ASHES AND ECSTASY, takes place during the War of 1812—and makes any romance reader who bought the HEA of FIRE AND ICE throw a hissy fit, big time. They’re one of those old skool saga-type duology epic romances, be ye warned! Fun, though.)

Tania Kennedy says:

You might find it amusing to know that Canada is celebrating the War of 1812, as well, only we’re celebrating that WE won, not the US of A. I certainly get a good chuckle from it.

Heh. So few folks here in the US understand that we didn’t “win” the War of 1812. We fought Britain well enough to convince them to return to antebellum status, but we didn’t “win” anything except a lot of respect for our navy and privateers during the Second War of American Independence.

Oh, and we came away with a stirring, but terribly difficult to sing, national anthem. “O Canada” has us beat in that regard.

sweetsiouxsie says:

Definitely not Lady Vixen….and I am waiting for the opportunity to use the word “codswallop” in a sentence!!  LOL!!!

Stephanie says:

Sometimes answers are as close as your next door neighbor!  I showed her this post,and she immediately went and got her copy of `Aurielle`by Annabel Irwin.  According to the back Aurielle is a tavern wench with dreams of wealth and upward mobility (because that happened often in the early 19th century).  The cover is a glorious affair of purple bodices, blue eyeshadow, pouty red lips and a really hairy hero with gold chains!  Thanks for the attempted assist ladies.

Ah, yes, the Canadian version of the War of 1812, causes a bit of marital dustup every now and then down here. Whenever Mr. Richland insists they won (and we have toured many forts and museums on both sides of the border espousing opposing viewpoints on that issue, believe me – I highly recommend Ottawa’s War Museum), I break into his anthem to the tune of “Oh Tannebaum.” Sure to halt conversation! Don’t get my spouse started on the Fenian Raiders … any romances featuring those brigands?

Bump775 says:

Shirley
    Try Lady of Fire (bk 1), and Seaflame (bk 2) by Valerie Vayle. These books are old. Book 1 is about the sisters mother and father. Books 2 is about how the sisters found each other and one of the sisters is a pirate. Book 2 is better then book 1. Good Luck.

I still maintain: The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky.