Monica Jackson

Monica JacksonSad news today: via Twitter, Monica Jackson's daughter Amethyst announced that Ms. Jackson passed away yesterday. Amethyst said her death was due to complications from surgery.

Jackson wrote on her blog last month that her health had taken a turn for the worse and that she'd be offline for awhile as a result. Jackson was the author of several African American romances, and had self published several new books.

I'm terribly sad to hear this news. Monica Jackson was one of the most outspoken people I've ever met online. She was not afraid to challenge anyone and anything she disagreed with. She was fearless. When I was drafting a chapter in Beyond Heaving Bosoms, trying to explain the obstacles African American authors faced in romance succinctly, trying to do justice to the topic when the topic could easily have been a book in and of itself, I asked if Monica would be willing to talk to me. She gave me her phone number, and in that conversation, I typed so fast I am amazed I could read my notes. I didn't always agree with Monica, but online and off, I learned a tremendous amount from her.

When I heard that she'd died, I felt like one of the loudest voices had been silenced. My sympathies to her family. May her memory be a blessing.

ETA: Laura Vivanco's tribute is really beautiful. Jackson was one of those “move the needle” people, and I think her presence and her voice made people think differently, or at least reconsider assumptions and expectations. That's a powerful thing to have accomplished, and I am so sorry that she is gone.

General Bitching...

LauraN says:

This is such tragic news.  I’ve enjoyed her honesty and outspokenness online, though I’ve never read one of her books.  Maybe it’s time I did.

Unimaginative says:

Oh, I’m so sorry!  She was the first person I met online who made me really examine my racial prejudices and assumptions (which was not very comfortable, but was good for me).  I didn’t find her books to my taste, but I deeply enjoyed her participation on this blog and DA.  She was a strong and outspoken supporter of romance, and especially romance by and featuring African Americans.  She’ll be missed.

I loved that she spoke up about things she believed in, even when it would have been easier for her to keep quiet and play along.  That took guts and strength.  She was a special woman.

ann_somerville says:

A brave voice, a brave woman. My condolences to her family and friends.

Tamara says:

My condolences to her family and friends.  This is sad news. I’ve enjoyed several of her books in the past.

Christine says:

This is so sad. Monica Jackson was on my short list of automatic read authors. :(

Mary R says:

I was so sad when I heard the news of Ms. Jackson’s passing.  I am an avid reader of her books.  My prayers go out to her immediate family and friends.  God bless.