What Are You Reading?

I know Sheri was reading Evanovich's Plum series from the beginning last month (sorry I goofed on your name originally, Sheri, my apologies), as was Alina, and Booklight said Amanda Quick's backlist was on the reading schedule – how are you enjoying them?

This week I've tried to read two self-published works, one full length and one short story, and had problems with both. But this weekend I'm spending about 10 hours in the car, and it's audio book time for me, which I'm looking forward to more than I expected. I am curious to see if I recall the story enough to review it when I'm done listening.

So what are you reading this week? Are you embarking on a massive backlist read-a-thon? What books are you loving right now?

Loulou says:

I’m reading “the Winterpalace” by Eva Stachniak. I love historical fiction and this is about the Russian court. I am enjoying it.It is not a romance. “The Husband trap” by Tracy Anne Warren is waiting on my Kindle in the TBRfile . It has a sister takes place of sister at altar plotline. I’ve never read anything by this author before so I’m curious. I’ll probably start reading that one tonight.

Ilona says:

I’m re-reading one of my absolute favourite series; Ilona Andrews ‘Kate Daniels’ series. Its not technically romance though there are several romances in the series which progress as the books go on. It’s urban fantasy and each book is better than the last. And yeah, I just think they’re awesome.

Reneesance says:

I’m reading One Grave at a Time by Jeanine Frost and after that I dive into Snuff by Terry Pratchett.  Trying to be disciplined and only read one book at time ;)

Jo says:

I have just discovered the Kate Shugnak series by Dana Stabenow and I’m loving the hell out of these books! Am just starting the 4th and there are many, many books in Ms Stabenow’s backlist *happy dance* Love when that happens!
    @ Ilona, seconding the Kate Daniels love. Hands down my fav UF series.

Christina Auret says:

I am reading Lisa Kleypas’ back list. It wasn’t the plan, but I keep finishing one book and going onto Amazon to buy the next. I’m about 6 books in with no intention of stopping.

Bri says:

i’ve got about 70 pages left of the Evanovich and kelly new romance – Love in a Nutshell.  So far its ok. not knocking my socks off but better than the last 3 or so plum books

Tabs says:

I am having a good month for being WRONG. I keep loving books that I’ve prejudged beforehand as something I probably won’t care for.

First up was Sarah Morgan’s ” Ferara Wife” which was crazy awesome angsty.

And now I’m reading “Ten Things I Love About You” and seeing exactly what all of the praise was about.  It’s delightful.

Nabpaw says:

right now I’m reading Theresa Medeiro’s Yours Until Dawn.  It was recommended on this site and so far its ok.  After that I’m going to start the Courtney Milan book Unclaimed.  I loved the first Milan book in this series, but I wasn’t planning on reading the second one, because I don’t like prostitutes as heros/heroines in love stories.  the angst, my god, i can’t deal with it.  Anyway, i decided to sack up and read the damn thing.  we’ll see how it goes.

library addict says:

Just finished rereading Nora Roberts’ The Villa. Plan to start Carla Neggers’ The Uneven Score next.

Tina Chaney says:

I’ve got two books, one Kindle and one paperback, by authors that I’ve really enjoyed, that I’m struggling to get through.  In both cases, I don’t like one of the main characters.  (Or rather, I don’t like one and the other is getting on my last damn nerve with his I’m-so-damaged-and-SHE-deserves-so-much-better pity party that he uses to justify making all the decisions about the relationship.)  I keep hanging in there, especially since pity-party hero is part of an on-going series, but I’m about to give up and move on to Dark Descendent by Jenna Black because I just got it and it looks so interesting!

Laylapalooza says:

I’m reading Jacqueline Carey’s Saints Astray right now. So good!!

dixiechikken says:

I am rereading Laura Kinsale’s “For My Lady’s Heart” and am once again in awe of how brilliant a writer she can be. Amazing characters, detail and beautiful writing.

Carin says:

Things have been busy here and I’m actually not reading a print book.  I’m totally sucked into In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming on audio.  It was highly recommended here and other places as a good mystery series with a romantic arc, but I’m confused because the male lead is married to someone else.  I’m just over halfway, though, and it’s really good!

Beth says:

I just caught up on the Kate Daniels series about a week and half ago…sniff…
    now I can’t find anything to read.
    (So I’m listening to The Edge on my iPad)

Is their really life after Kate Daniels?

F_borto says:

Money is very tight so I am reading the books I already have. The books I keep going back to are Lynsay Sands’ Argeneau / Rogue Hunter series and Charlene Teglia’s Claimed by the Wolf. All wonderful books.

Ladybookworm61882 says:

Reading Richard Laymon’s Island.

Fran says:

Just read Sarah MacLean’s Eleven Scandals (which I enjoyed, even if I wanted to murder the hero until maybe the last page), working on A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (which I really like, even if it’s long), and Pistols for Two by Georgette Heyer (which I also like, even if the stories are wicked short).  Then I’m moving into YA to start on John Green’s backlist.

Anna Piranha says:

I just got the first of Beverly Jenkins’ new Blessings series, as it was the Free Friday book for Nook.  I’m also reading Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman, which is a tween book of my son’s and quite good.  And I am probably one of the last people in the western world to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

LG says:

I finished an ARC – Annabel Monaghan’s A Girl Named Digit (or Digit: She’s Got Your Number, according to my ARC, but Amazon says the title has changed). It’s a YA book that has a bit of romance between a young FBI agent and the 17-year-old heroine, who’s a math genius. Not sure how I feel about the romance, although the author bent over backwards to make it come across as acceptable. I was at least hoping for some crazy spy stuff and math-related deductions. I didn’t get as much of either as I had hoped, but the first half of the book was really addictive.

In terms of other more romance-y books I’ve read, I’ve also finished My Lady’s Service by Marie-Elise Bassett, the first f/f story I’ve read that had actual sex in it. It was okay, but not long enough – I would have liked to see the relationship develop over time. I’ll have to go back and comb over the comments on your post about f/f romance for things I’d like better. I’ve also finished Wilder’s Mate by Moira Rogers, which I enjoyed, although I would have liked more world-building and more attention to developing the relationship. Again, it’s the usual issues I have with shorter works.

I’m currently reading Double Dare by Vicki Hinze. I spent much of the first few pages writing “WTF!” in my notes as the various female agents did nothing but discuss relationship issues the instant they got to work. I’m about halfway through the book now, the heroine and hero are starting to make eyes at each other, and I feel like I missed out on the part of the story that made their interest in each other worth rooting for.

Alpha Lyra says:

Just finished “Heavier than Heaven” (a Kurt Cobain biography). About to start “The Magicians” by Lev Grossman, which has the most polarized set of reviews on Amazon I have ever seen. So of course I have to see what that’s all about.

Cheryl says:

I am finishing Lara Adrian’s Darker After Midnight which I am loving. Then I will need something until the new J.D Robb arrives from Amazon…I am already smiling just thinking about Eve & Roarke.

CarrieS says:

the Uncertain Places, by Laura Goldstein.  Just finished Indigo.

Elise says:

I’m reading the entire Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I’ve never read them before and I’m hopelessly addicted. On book three now!

Allison says:

I’m guilty-pleasure re-reading all the Black Daggher Bhrothherhood books.  I JUST CAN’T STOP MYSELF!

Lady T says:

I’m reading Diana Gaboldon’s Outlander(got a free copy at NYC Comic Con)and have now ordered books 2-4 in the series. Funny thing is,I tried to get into Outlander years ago but it just didn’t catch me but now I can’t get enough of it:)

Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep. Love it so far.

MissB2U says:

Just finished three collections of short stories by urban fantasy/paranormal romance writers Karen Chance, Eileen Wilks, Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher (HELL yeah), and many more.  I’m now in search of something new and will check out some of the stuff mentioned in you comments above!  Trying hard to use the library and not my Nook Tablet but hoo, baby it’s hard to resist that “Confirm” button… and I’ve already pre-ordered three books so it’s time to show a little self control.  Heh.

Just finished Courtney Milan’s “Proof By Seduction” last night (which was obviously excellent) and started on “A Lady of Persuasion” by Tessa Dare, which I quite like so far as I was a fan of Sir Toby in “Goddess of the Hunt.”

Nadia says:

Just finished Showalter’s “Dark Taste of Rapture.”  I like her AIR series best of all.  The heroine in this one is all kinds of unapologetic crazy and I loved her.  Hero is suitably tortured and pulls his head out at the end.

I have a huge stack of books from the library, including all three of Dahl’s latest contemporaries, but am thinking I’m going to hit up an old Laurens Regency that I nabbed at the half-price book store, “A Lady of Expectations.”  Recently started her Cynster series after picking up the cheap e-read (Thanks!) and liked it well enough to glom some backlist.

Also started Darynda Jones’s “Second Grave on the Left.”  It’s not immediately grabbing me like the first one in the series did, so I’ve been trading it off with other books.

Hmr28 says:

I am reading a wonderful series (on book 3 now) by Karina Halle. The first one was Darkhouse, then Red Fox and I am on Dead Sky Morning. She is such a great author and I love the characters. Dex and Perry are fast becoming one of my favorite duos.