Dear Bitches, Smart Authors Podcast: September 14, 2011: Backlist and Old Skool Romance

It’s podcast time! This week, we’re talking about old skool romances, digital backlists and the prices we are willing to pay. We also talk about how readers value books, and the possibilities of collectible books.

Readers have asked that we list the books we talk about, so here you go: all the titles we talk about in this episode:

Book Cover  Book Cover  Book Cover

Book Cover  Book Cover  Book Cover

Book Cover  Book Cover  Book Cover

Book Cover  Book Cover

And Promise Me Tomorrow by Nora Roberts, the holy grail of used books for many readers.

You can subscribe to our feed at Feedburner or at iTunes. You can also find us at PodcastPickle.

Mp3 is available for download as well. PLEASE for the love of God right click and save, k? Esosoft and I will thank you.

If you have content suggestions, tips on how to do this whole thing better, or general wtf-ery comments, email us. It’s all welcome because a) we are new to this and b) we don’t really know what we are doing so the wtf comments are probably all valid. The email address for the podcast is sbjpodcast@gmail.com.

I have two more to edit, one that answers our awesome collection of reader mail, and another that discusses “romangst,” the romances that contain (obviously) a whole lotta angst.

General Bitching...

Thank you. Going to download now and listen to it while pretending to work.

I fucking LOVE these.

Carahe says:

YES YES YES Iron Seas series in leather collectible format! YES! I would pay for that, yes! Make it so, Number 1!

Also, can you link to the digital-scan-on-demand service referred to in the podcast? I know that the Alexandria Library in Egypt does that, but I was under the impression that they are still in process on making that publicly available.

Hannah says:

Thanks for adding the book list!

About book formats, I have to say that even though I’m an ereader junkie, my second favorite format would be hardcover. Even though hardcovers are a bit heavier than paperbacks, I find them so much easier to hold. Of course there are books on my shelf like the Warren Buffett bio that I haven’t finished because it’s so heavy I fear it will give me carpal tunnel—yeah that would work much better as an ebook!

becca says:

I couldn’t agree with you more that these backlist book prices are outrageous.  There’s no way I’d pay $10 or more for an older book.  I gripe about paying the same $7.99 for mm paperback and ebooks as it is.  What are these publishers thinking, that we won’t notice the copyright date and think that these are new releases?

chance37 – there’s not one chance in 37 that I’ll pay that kind of money for an older book.

Audrey says:

I LOVED IT! At one point I started snorting with laughter and nearly fell off the elliptical machine, so that was awesome, but even more awesome was the idea of collectible editions of books. Yesssssssss. As a bookbinder, my bonefolder is now itching to get started.

Um, that’s not a euphemism. In case there were any worries.

SB Sarah says:

BONEFOLDER?!

That’s what she said.

Rae says:

So, what are the chances you could link the scanner service you mentioned? I found two—Blue Leaf and BoundBookScanning but would like the one you mentioned for comparison