Links: Plagiarism, and Jumpsuits

It takes a lot of balls to copy someone’s work word-for-word. It also takes a lot of balls to pass that work off as your own. But it takes a whole pile of balls to copy a book nearly word-for-word and both change the main characters’ name to “Edwards” and “Bella” and change the point of view from first to third. Because making it TwiFic makes it all better, right?

Lucky for Cynthia Eden (except not at all) that’s exactly what someone did. A fanfic writer named “misconception76” took Eden’s story Deadly Heat and turned it into TwiFic. And the fanfic rip off was so good that folks made (and then have since removed) Bella-as-a-firefighter fan art. The reviews were all positive until the plagiarism was spotted.

Jiminy Christmas.

My understanding of the fanfic community is that they have an extremely low tolerance for plagiarism in their community, because shoddy work like this helps the reputation of fanfic not at all. Yet this work is still available. WTF? Many a commenter to the original story has said they’ve reported it, but the story is still up. I tried to join the community and contact “misconception76” but alas, new members are not allowed to DM until a day or two after registration.

In case that leaves a sorry taste in your mouth, here, have a link from Robinjn that I tweeted on Friday but is so good I must share again: Men of Certain Style.

All the best fashion from the days of WTFRUWearing? The best is the “One Easy Piece” jumpsuit. Robinjn even transcribed the ad copy for us, in case your eyeballs are now seared and blinded from the sight of the jumpsuit:

One Easy Piece

Because one is enough, when it’s you. Show where you’re headed in the
ultimate fashion climax.

Fits so tight it shows all you’ve got . . . you’re a walking turn-on.
And treats your body as well as she does.

Easy on, easy off, quick as a flick of her tongue. Sexy cool crinkle
cloth for those hot nights to come. Designed with your desires in mine
. . . she’ll eat you alive in it…. Are you man enough to fill it?

Awww, yeah.

Paige says:

Is that the original Starbuck in the Men In Belted Sweaters spread?

LG says:

O_O

What the heck was this misconception76 person thinking? I wonder, did the positive at the beginning actually make him/her feel good? What was the point of this?

LG says:

That was supposed to be “postive comments.”

Well, thanks for posting a link to those eye-searing pictures. They’re a distraction, at least. Belted sweaters and jumpsuits…

Anony Miss says:

Seriously, this is a romance novel site. Where’s the recommendations of 70’s novels complete with swinging hairy chested men, jump suits, big hair and disco nights? Surely someone was writing contemporaries in the 70’s, weren’t they?

Word verification: sense79. No, in 1979, they didn’t have much fashion sense at all…

Ana Farrish says:

Lol! Thank you for that second link. Lovin’ the guy in the blue hooded jumpsuit.

Ooh! This just gave me an idea for a new romance series: KNIT, EARL, STITCH (Men in Belted Sweaters #1).

Kel says:

Thanks for the heads-up about the plagiarism.  I’m a fanfiction writer with lots of repressed anger, so any valid outlet is greatly appreciated.

JamiSings says:

Say what you want, at least in the 70s men wore the waist of their pants AT THEIR WAIST! Not this moronic “sagging” crap we’ve been putting up with since the 80s with their pants getting lower and lower. I’ve seen many a guy who now wears them so low their entire boxer shorts are exposed! It’s DISGUSTING!

Give me a man in a 70’s jumpsuit over some fool with his pants on the ground any day.

Sing it with me now -

o/` Pants on the ground! Pants on the ground! Lookin’ like a fool with your pants on the ground! o/`

For those who don’t know the song I’m talking about -

SB Sarah says:

I just choked on a carrot. That’s not a euphemism.

Lisa K says:

The jumpsuit!  ACK!!!

So.Not.Sexy.

Neither is plagarism…

Lisa

Jennifer in GA says:

And yet Cassandra Clare continues to make money. Oh wait- she doesn’t plagiarize, she writes “homages” and “pastiches”.

Heh- captcha: property97

97% of Cassandra Clare’s fanfiction was property of someone else!

Nialla says:

The fanfic community has an extremely low tolerance of plagiarism, but the reason it’s still up is it’s at fanfiction.net, which is not so affectionately nicked “The Pit”.

The administration there doesn’t really care about plagiarized works, so reporting them doesn’t do anything. About the only way they’re taken down is if the “author” takes it down because they’re tired of getting comments that have switched from praise to loathing.

Jody W. says:

I just had a fashion thought. You know how they make vests or shirts with “fake” undershirts sticking out at the collar or cuffs? So you can look layered without being so sweaty. Who is going to invent fake pants on the ground, where the jeans are actually sewn onto the ass-area of the boxers so you are, in fact, wearing a single garment? And when they do invent that, will people then wear boxers UNDER the POTGs? And will they then let the POTGs sag so people can see not one but *2* pairs of boxers with the jeans now belted around the knees??? WHEN WILL IT END?

Celli says:

I knew I kept my ffn account around for a reason…I just reported her (along with a billion other people, I think). Hopefully the volume of complaints will inspire prompt action.

Ros says:

I agree that ff.net are unlikely to bother doing anything unless the author sends a formal cease and desist notice.  I hope she does.

Cynthia Eden says:

Hi, Sarah.  Thanks for posting the information about the plagiarism.  After I joined the Fan Fic site (I joined after I found out what was happening there), I also had to wait 24 hrs before I could PM anyone. Guess who I sent my very first PM to?  Unfortunately, Misconception76 has chosen not to respond to me—or to remove “her” story.

I’ve also sent the site multiple abuse notices, but I haven’t heard back from them.  And, today, Grand Central got all of my information so they could send an official take down notice, too.

I would like to thank everyone who has reported on this issue.  The support is extremely appreciated.

Ros says:

This is my favourite bit about the plagiarised story, from the beginning of chapter 1: ‘Disclaimer: The Twilight Series character names belong to Stephanie Meyer. No copyright infringement is intended.’

And all the other words belong to… Cynthia Eden!  Any copyright infringement intended there?

Julie Brannagh says:

Let’s face it: After that fashion hit parade, it’s a miracle anyone had sex in the 70’s.

Oh, the humanity.

kara-karina says:

Oh, thank you for 10 minutes of hysterical laughter and mental scarring. What an amazing link! As to plagiarism, it always comes back and bites you on the backside big time. I’m glad it’s all out. Hopefully the story will disappear from the web eventually.

Karmyn says:

Oh yes, the fanfic community takes plagiarism very seriously. That’s why you will still see Cassie Clare brought up. That’s one reason I absolutely refuse to read her books. That, and I heard they suck.
    Has this made fanficrants or fandom_wank yet?

Allie says:

As a long time fanfic reader – we’re talking mid-90s, on a computer that my BlackBerry is more sophisticated than, using a dial up modem that took 5 minutes to load a page (dedication, I haz it) – I hate to see things like this happen.

Awhile back I read the first chapter of the story thinking it was a really great and the fanfic author referenced the book where she got the plotline (the story wasn’t word for word but the plot was similar). I went to the library and checked out the book. It turned out to be the first in a very long series of books. I went out and bought them all. And thus began my romance novel addiction. Which led me here.

robinjn says:

Sadly, I remember these fashions IN REAL LIFE. And I have two extra words, for the Men’s Extravaganza not adequately covered in the link.

Leisure Suit

My Dad had a pumpkin orange one. He wore it with white patent leather shoes with a big ol’ side buckle. And not only that, but he bough my Mom one of those one-piece jumpsuits for Christmas once. Onlyexcepting it was not just a one-piece jump suit, and not just a 100% polyester one-piece jump suit, but it was a neon pink one-piece jump suit with a searing purple and green paisley print. It. Was. Awesome.

MarieC says:

Hi! thought I’d bring this up. The story is gone. They finally took it down! Hurray!

Laurel says:

I’m pretty sure that was Kenny Rogers in one of those jumpsuits.
    Fine-tooth combed hair and all.

TracyS says:

Sadly, I remember all of those 80’s fashions. I may have even worn some of them. Neon, big hair, parachute pants, t-shirts so big I could wear them 10 years later at 9 months pregnant with room to spare=teen years in the 80’s!!

delphia2000 says:

As someone who had a lot of sex in the 70’s, all I can say is that they looked better with the clothes off. ;o)

Maya says:

It’s on fandom_wank now.  Let the snark commence.

Re: the link: OW MY EYES!

Dear gods and little fishies, the COLLARS. The HUGE, FLOPPY COLLARS.

Lee Rowan says:

The only person who ever looked good in those jumpsuits was Emma Peel.  And she was AWESOME.

Brandi says:

Funny you should say that.

(They use snaps rather than permament stitching, but…)

I always enjoy the “GQ Regrets” segments where the magazine highlights some of their own mistakes from the past.

Thanks for sharing, though my eyes will never be the same.