Links: Bad, Good, and Spiffy

First, the Bulwer-Lytton was announced, if you missed it. The Romance category winner is, as email correspondent Rosie described it, “a corker.”

As the dark and mysterious stranger approached, Angela bit her lip anxiously, hoping with every nerve, cell, and fiber of her being that this would be the one man who would understand—who would take her away from all this—and who would not just squeeze her boob and make a loud honking noise, as all the others had.
Ali Kawashima, Greensboro, NC

Sasha’s reading journal was forwarded to me by librarian C. Seems Sasha fell gleefully in love with romance again, and her descriptions of her favorite novels made me smile in a big way:

I wish everyone had a genre they could call home—the don’t-bother-bathing-during-the-weekends kind of home, the put-your-feet-up-while-eating kind of home, the I-will-burp-when-I-need-a-breather kind of home.

That is SO OFTEN how I feel: the romance genre is my home.

I’m not a fan of book trailers in romance. They tend to be an overlong celebration of schmaltzy music and stock images. However, for some genres, like YA, they can work amazingly well. Simone Elkeles, for example, has done some kickass book trailers, and her new one for the third book in her series is well done.

I’ve been at signings where Elkeles was present, and her line of teens waiting to meet her went around the room and out the door. Trailers like this one that are aimed for her target audience seem to be effective in reaching her audience where they live.

The Link-O-Lator

Amber says:

The irony of the Bulwer-Lytton contest is that I would totally read that book. The romance one was good, but the overall Runner-Up was even better. Those books would be hil-freaking-arious.

SarahS says:

This isn’t really on topic, but I’m wondering if the bitchery knows that Borders has all its in-store romance at 30% off for their going out of business sale?

I think this is just their first round of reductions, as most of the store is still only 10% off, so prices may well go down further before too long.

Melissa says:

I loved Perfect Chemistry and really liked Rules of Attraction so I am excited for Chain Reaction. Can’t wait to see more of Alex and Brittany! The video is a win for me, all three Fuentes brothers are hot.

Karenmc says:

Yes, the at home kind of experience is what I have with historical romance. You want me to pay attention to you on a weekend? You’d better make some reference to Waterloo, Gunters or half boots. If you don’t, I’ll ignore you like the dried mustard on the t-shirt I slept in.

So a Carolina Girl came up with the worst opening sentence in the Romance category this year?  I reckon she had to put her mind to it mighty hard.  Congrats to Ali.

Hopefully, my current battle of the blues won’t have me putting sentences like that one in my WIP.  It’s only good to be bad if you’re trying…

I love reading the entries. My mom and I look forward to it every year. In fact, one year she bought me a collection of Bulwer-Lytton’s works which was printed in the late 1800s. I’ll treasure it always.

And in case you were wondering, “It was a dark and stormy night” was one of the BETTER passages. LOLOL

NatashaB says:

This has to be one of the funniest ones:

Deep into that particular wet Saturday night ugly blues screamed out from the old man’s horn like a hooker being hauled down a flight of stairs, regular thick loud thumps punctuated by nasty and erratic sharp barks.

John Benson
    Carthage, MO 64836

krsylu says:

Since Sarah forgot the link to Sasha, I’ll include it here.
    Well, you can copy and paste it, anyway… ;-)

Cheers!
    Chrissy

krsylu says:

Oh, hey! The link did its thing on its own! Hooray!