What Ever Happend To: Elizabeth Stuart

Sweetsiouxsie emailed me the following query about an author whose books she loved:

Book Cover I found a book by Elizabeth Stuart at a second hand bookstore in Springfield, OH. I read “Bride of the Lion” and I liked it very much. I bought Stuart’s short backlist since her books are still available from Amazon. Without Honor, Bride of the Lion, Where Love Dwells and Heartstorm. There is no information on Elizabeth Stuart and she was a good writer. Whatever happened to her??? Help me?

Anyone know what became of Elizabeth Stuart? I found this brief mention but I wonder if she’s written under a new pseudonym?

{Also, I think that if this is going to be a semi-regular feature, I need to come up with a graphic for it. Any ideas?]

General Bitching...

Sally says:

Maybe something like a missing persons’ ad? o.O

DS says:

According to Fiction db she wrote one book as Elizabeth Awbrey Reckless Angel 1988 by Pageant.  Pageant was a pretty brief lived publisher and I don’t remember seeing this book although her others were pretty popular.

Gina Ardito says:

Maybe a milk carton graphic?

Overquoted says:

Yeah, I ‘m going to second a milk carton “Have You Seen Me?” graphic. But I’m not sure if people outside of Americans would get it?

Mellissa says:

While we don’t have pictures on milk cartons here in Australia, we’d still get it from tv shows and movies. Do you still put missing people on milk cartons? I was in the US last month and don’t remember seeing any cartons with missing people on them.

BethSmash says:

Maybe a wanted poster?  Would that translate internationally?

AgTigress says:

If that site, which is pretty thorough, doesn’t have even her nationality or date of birth, she must always have been quite low profile.  Note that her first book was published in 1967 (and the last in 1995), which suggests that she is a lady of my generation, or at least not much younger;  she may have stopped writing due to the many problems of old age, or may even be dead.

However, as she evidently won a RITA in 1991, one would imagine that the RWA must have information on her.

Icon for missing or wanted persons:  not a milk carton, please!  Far too culturally specific.  I have vaguely heard of, though never seen, the milk carton missing persons adverts (certainly never saw them on any milk container during 4 months living and travelling in the US some years ago), and notwithstanding American TV, I bet there are many outside the US who wouldn’t ‘get’ it at all.  A ‘wanted’ poster might work.

QQ says:

Maybe a magnifier glass or binoculars for searching for …

Or a flashlight/lighthouse for revealing current info on an author with a harlequin style mask for unknown face?

foot29 – a sign to go out sailing on a 29 foot boat?

Laurie says:

I like the magnifying glass/sleuth variety. I immediately thought “Nancy Drew”, then found this:

Susan Reader says:

I like the “Wanted” poster.  After all, these authors ARE wanted, or why else would people be asking about them?

I hope the graphic, whatever it is, is similar in style to the main SBTB logo.  I love the “HaBO”s, but the logo really annoys me, with the perky Barbie blonde who isn’t even reading a book, but what looks like a magazine.

Ashley says:

aww I really like the HABO graphic. maybe Sarah can photoshop a romance into it for you susan lol that would be cool

Anne Stuart says:

Seems to me I was in touch with her back in the day.  She’s definitely of a younger generation—I called her my bastard step-child.  I believe she wrote slowly plus had twins, but I may have fantasized all this.  She was a fabulous writer—I wish she was still writing.
    Capcha is rest44.  Maybe she took a rest when she was 44.  I certainly didn’t.

Cam says:

Was the milk carton thing ever really a thing? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lost person on the back of a milk carton in my entire life and I’ve lived in the US for 28 years.
    It’s either really old fashioned or created for 80’s lost twin type children’s chapter books.

Emily says:

I want the graphic to include a desparate heroine biting her nails saying “Oh no where are they?” Or a desparate hero looking bleak contemplating a bleaak lonely future. Or a desparate man titty complaining “Damn I’ve no idea what to say next. Isn’t someone suppose to write my lines for me?”

R.J. says:

I have no idea what happend to Elizabeth Stuart.  However, I have an idea for the graphic—Carmen Sandiego.

Ruby Duvall says:

OMG R.J. beat me to it! Great minds think alike! I love the idea of Carmen Sandiego. XD

Joanne says:

Fuddy-duddy that I am I’m a little leery of making the missing author graphic too funny just in case the author is deceased.
    Or in the witness protection program….
    or hiding from her agent.

AllyJS says:

Clearly the graphic needs to be old-school Nancy Drew

Kelly C. says:

**************************************************************************************

That’s why she’s a bitch.  She looks like Barbie and is reading a tabloid.  ;-)

Batty Tabby says:

I remember seeing kids on the milk cartons in the single-serve size from elementary school. I’ve not seen them since.

sarah says:

All the pics/graphics on this site are of very white women- how about a shout out to the non-white fans of this site with the new graphic?

JoAnn says:

Yes, they were on the half gallon size waxed cardboard cartons for several years. Those used to be the largest sizes you would find in most supermarkets, but with popularity of big-box stores the gallon size which is in a plastic jug type of container have become increasingly popular. I’ve never seen anything but sell-by dates printed on those.

I don’t know why they discontinued printing the pictures on the half-gallon and smaller size cartons. Maybe it was freaking out the children who were presumably drinking a lot of the milk.

Kathlyn Bradshaw says:

From another perspective, the new feature could be seen as having less to do with sleuthing and more to do will calling upon the great wealth of SBTB knowledge – “Bitchipedia”?

EbonyMcKenna says:

haha, I was also thinking Carmen Sandiego. Yeah, old-school games where you had to put the disk in, then wait . . .

. . . .
      . . .

and wait . . . .

anyhow, I’m from Australia and I was also thinking milk cartons, based purely on seeing the movie The Lost Boys (oh boy am I showing my age) where my hazy memory thinks the kids who went missing ended up on milk cartons etc? Or am I imagining things. (this also means I’m showing my age).

Best I leave this to the experts.

Lisa says:

I immediately thought of a woman in pirate gear holding a spyglass.

Jan Lorman says:

How about an image of Sherlock Holmes – the old style with magnifying glass and huntsman cloak and hat?

DS says:

her first book was published in 1967

Shaking Shadows was copyrighted by Elizabeth Stuart Pratt.  The copyright database states that Elizabeth Stuart (the author of Bride of the Lion/ Heartstorm and Without Honor was the pseudonym of Elizabeth Beach.  Don’t know if that helps.

sweetsiouxsie says:

Everyone, thank you for your help! I will continue checking out the internet for information. A Carmen Sandiego look-a-like is a great idea for a regular feature. I loved her!
    @Anne Stuart…thank you for your comments. I just got my copy of Shameless. I am on page 91 already and I am enjoying the story very much!

SB Sarah says:

Aw, I’m sorry y’all don’t like the HaBO woman. I liked her because she had such a bitchy expresion … and she has six fingers on her one hand. Extra arms, extra fingers. I’m easy to entertain.

I’ll keep my eyes open for a Whatever Happened To graphic idea that works. With extra toes. Heh heh.

Rebeca says:

Okay, sooo many people had the Carmen San Diego idea! It’s the first thing I thought of too. Would it be copyright infringement? Maybe just “where in the world is [author name]” with a mysterious woman in a trench coat?