Help A Bitch Out

HaBO-Bration: Purloined Romance

Katie has tales of thievery! I love tales of romance thievery!

I found this novel hidden under my conservative mother’s bedside table
when I was 13-14? Obviously she didn’t want me to find it, we didn’t even
allow soaps in our home, no MTV either. So of course, I read it immediately.
First tingly feeling ever felt were whilst I read that trashy novel.

I asked her about it recently and she has disavowed all knowledge, of
course so I need the Smart Bitches Expertise!!!

What I remember was late teen to early 20’s sisters fled England by ship
and to pay for their passage they signed indenturship papers. Once in
America, they were sold to a Puritan family, I think?

The dark haired sister falls for the captain of a ship I think as she sees
him around the town she serves in and he takes her virginity.

I think the other sister is a blonde but I don’t remember much else about
her.

The dark haired sister is burns herself at one point and is seen by someone
of the Puritan persuasion treating her burn with cold water instead of the
current method using butter. Because of this she is accused of witchcraft
and stands trial or is about to. She is rescued by her captain in the nick
of time.

That is all I remember! Any thoughts?

Everyone knows that cold water is not for burns! Silly woman. She’s totally in league with the devil. Anyone remember this book?

Help a Bitch Out

Carin says:

I know this isn’t it, but (minus the twins and tweaking a few details, including the sex) this sounds a lot like The Witch of Blackbird Pond.  I how I love that book!

Wahoo Suze says:

My class listened to an audio book of Witch of Blackbird Pond when I was in Grade 5 or 6.  It was on a cassette, and the teacher played it on a small portable cassette player.  1978 or so.  It was SO GOOD.  I bought a copy in my next Scholastic Books order.

Ell says:

It also reminded me of The Witch of Blackbird Pond—which, as is said above, it totally isn’t, but I sure loved that book.

Jes1 says:

Thanks everyone for the title The Witch of Blackbird Pond.  I was just thinking of entering a new HABO for that one.  I have no idea what the title of Katie’s HABO is.
    Spamword become49.  It is almost a year late. I think I will stay 49 for a few more years.

Leah says:

I’m 90% sure this is not the book you’re looking for, but might is br Karen Robards’ This Side of Heaven ? There’s no mention of a sister on the ship, but supposedly waiting in The Colonies for her.

JBHunt says:

Kit, what a heroine! With the gumption and free spirit to stand up to puritanism. Gotta love her—and Nate, too!

Stacey says:

This sounds like a Johanna Lindsey novel to me.  Sisters, ship captain, indentured servants, loss of virginity to said ship captain.  Uh-huh.

Or maybe Catherine Coulter from her historical romance days?

Lauren says:

Was The Witch of Blackbird Pond the book about the girl who is orphaned and taken in by Puritan relatives.  She feels oppressed by all the strict rules and the hours of church and especially by the lack of color, and really misses all her beautiful silk dresses?  And also she rebels against the puritans by sneaking off to some field to read books and be idle?  I LOVED that book.

cayenne says:

@Lauren: yes, that’s the one.  I adore that book.  Didn’t it win a Newbery?

biiv.2005 says:

I think I’ve read this one too, but don’t remember the title either (and I read it it portuguese, so it wouldn’t help much…) However, I can add more details: 3 sisters, and I think the youngest(really young, like 15 or something) falls in love with one of the sons of the family they are indentured to… And in the end they all have to scape from town (the 3 sisters and their lovers)  to canada. And there is something about Gibraltar…
    Hope it helped someone out there to figure out this one…

Susan says:

I’m pretty sure I know this one!  It’s To Share a Dream by Willo Davis Roberts.  I love this book and have reread it many times.  Here’s a link to the cover copy.

I love reading Mysteries in Book.They are always written puzzles, searching through mazes to find the clues, assembling a full picture and discovering Who Did It!romantic korean movies