Help A Bitch Out

HaBO-Bration: Brothers and Wards

Brooke is looking for a book that really seems familiar to me, but I can’t place it:

I was wondering if you might be able to help me track down a book I’ve been dying to reread…I read it years ago. Can’t remember the author or the title but I remember the book…

It was about a young woman who loses her parents (don’t remember how) and ends up being the “ward” of these brothers who own a feedlot in ?Texas? She has a crush on one of the brothers but can’t seem to make him look at her like an adult …he sees her as a little sister. Anyways, the book is about the journey they take in her growing up and him realizing he loves her…

I remember that in the first few pages the “ward” is waiting in line to see an all male review to prove she’s a “grown up”….and the guardian/brother catches her and pulls her out of line before she can get in…and she’s embarrassed and pissed off…

I don’t know why I’m thinking her name might be Abby…and she has a friend he doesn’t like and thinks is slutty…she moves in with that friend at one point when the he’s in denial that he loves her…

Ugh..this probably doesn’t make any sense but I’d really like to read it again…and I can’t find it!

Does any of this ring a bell??

The description totally reminds me of the Garwood book For the Roses but that’s not quite it. Anyone recognize this book?

Help a Bitch Out

Crystal says:

Calhoun, the first of the Long Tall Texans series by Diana Palmer. :) I have the first three collected in one volume that I have read and reread many times since middle school.

Lori says:

This sounds like Calhoun, the first of the Long Tall Texans Series by Diana Palmer. Hope this helps!

DS says:

Yep, I’ve never even read the book and I thought Diana Palmer at once.

Kathleen says:

Okay I am in line with the first three commenters… Sounds like a Diana Palmer book…

Wahoo Suze says:

Hmm.  I saw the headline and thought of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.  Probably I should have my morning cup of coffee.

abschli says:

Definitely Long Tall Texans by Diana Palmer. Yay! I finally recognized a HaBo! (Even if I wasn’t first.) ;-)

RebeccaJ says:

Didn’t know the title, but as soon as I read the words “she has a friend he doesn’t like and thinks is slutty”, I knew it had to be Palmer book!

Alison says:

I knew it was a Diana Palmer too!  I think this is only the second time I’ve known a HaBO.

Charlene says:

I can confirm this is Calhoun by Diana Palmer as I just finished it two days ago. :)

SusannaG says:

Yep, it’s Calhoun.  Knew this one immediately.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever know a HABO.  LOL

Theresa says:

I haven’t read this book but when I read the description I knew it had to be a Diana Palmer.  Is that sad?

FD says:

Chalk me up as another instant recognizer despite the most memorable aspects of the plot not being mentioned – the heroine is indeed called Abby, and it’s a classic Diana Palmer, complete with the obligatory lustfully commitment phobic older hero.  I remember reading this as a teenager and pulling the WTF face when I got to the scene where he has her car crushed.
    Incidentally, the brothers run a feedlot – I think possibly the least romantic family business ever, although the author goes to some (hilariously long winded) attempts to convince the reader of how modern and clean and non-smelly this particular feedlot is.

are26 – I’m positive that there are MORE than 26 books about this particular small town and its prohibitionist heroes.

Suzanne says:

Definitely Diana Palmer’s Calhoun. The second in the series was about his brother Justin, a total a**hole. I quit reading Palmer years ago because her heroines always allowed the uber-Alpha heroes to dominate them.

Sylvia Sybil says:

Alright, so everyone who has read the book, can you explain what kind of line she’s in and why the hero pulls her out?  That did not make sense to me at all.

FD says:

Well, seeing as the hero intervenes, we never get a description of the show. However, in the book it’s revue, not review, which makes more sense, as it’s an old fashioned word for sort of sketch based vaudeville type theater. As the author specifies it as all male, and is prone to euphemisms, the impression created is that it’s going to be a burlesque type show, possibly with gasp! nudity.

Sylvia Sybil says:

@FD Ah. I had the impression it was some sort of committee hearing on whether or not she was old enough to stop being the hero’s ward.  Which is, uh, rather different from that.

LEW says:

Damn, I totally knew that one! Definitely Calhoun. I knew it was Palmer at “Brothers and Wards” – a very common troupe for her.

@Sylvia, I always imagined it was some sort of strip show – which seems highly unlikely for Palmer’s Jacobville, unless it was a drug front for the local Tex-Mex cocaine operation and half the strippers were actually undercover DEA agents and former mercenaries.

RebeccaJ says:

Why in the world would he have her car crushed?! Palmer’s
    “heroes” scare me because they sound more like misogynists than anything else.

Saskia says:

I just read this a few days ago.  I had never read a Diana Palmer book before, and based on this one I don’t think I ever will again.  This book was TERRIBLE.  There were about four million things wrong with it, but even though all the characters were irredeemable idiots and hypocritical douchebags, I think what bugged me the most was the absolutely incessant (and nearly always incorrect) usage of “sophisticated.”  NO ONE IN THIS STORY IS SOPHISTICATED.  SHUT UP, BOOK.

Literary Slut Kilian says:

I knew someone who owned a feedlot, and when anyone would comment on the smell, he would take a deep breath and say “Ahhh. Smells like money to me.”

Cynara says:

That’s hilarious.

Brooke says:

Thank you all so much!!! I’m downloading it on my kindle as we speak! THIS is the reason I love this site so much!!!

Xoxo Brooke