Which is Her Real Hair?

Harlequin, you’re going to think I’m picking on you, but, well, ok, I totally am. Thanks to Lyndsey, we have a new challenge this week: Which Is Her Real Hair?

First up: The Unmasking of a Lady (could that title GET any better?) by Emily May, Kindle edition:

Book Cover

Next up, same title, paperback edition:

Book Cover

But wait, there’s MORE: thanks to eagle-eyed Lyndsey, we have His Cavalry Lady by Joanna Maitland:

Book Cover

Which is her real hair, the short, the long, or the other long? Is it me, or are her ears really weird-looking, like, even more than ears are normally weird-looking? And if there’s all that Photoshopping going on, why didn’t HE get a haircut?!

Why did they scrunch them all up in the first cover? The guy looks like Robin Williams in it!

Which is her real hair? None of the above, I suspect. Boy, they sure got value for money out of that shoot.

Nonny says:

I’d say the third one is probably the real one. It’s easier to add than to remove. Also, the first one looks like it has a second ear a little bit to the right, which makes me think it’s a bad shop. The second one, I don’t see anything glaring that stands out. The third would be hardest to shop from the other two, and I don’t really see anything that stands out—and it would, unless the artist was incredibly good.

GirlyNerd says:

None of them are real.
    The first clue in the lower two is the fuzziness of the ends of the hair. A bad blend job. The top one looks like the man’s head has been squashed, plus the hair is not flowing naturally over her shoulders.
    All this photoshopping and they couldn’t get rid of her very period tan lines?

Brede says:

I think the pixie cut is the real hair, although even thats shooped all the way. (very period, too, unless they’re oking by it being one of those books where she dresses up as a boy) The chestnut hair REALLY looks badly fake, although her face looks the nicest in it.

Sarah, not Sarah says:

The third one is the likeliest to be real, (the first one is a awful, obvious ‘shop job, and the edges of the hair on the second one are too smooth, although that could just be overzealous airbrushing, I suppose,) but realistically, what are the odds that TPTB are going to set up a regency era shoot with a model with a pixie cut?

I’ve read the third one (and enjoyed it, BTW). The heroine in that one has been masquerading as a male for a years and is an officer in the Russian cavalry. Hence, the short hair. There’s an author’s note at the end—apparently the heroine was inspired by a historical figure.

library addict says:

What I want to know is what’s going on with the color of his jacket?

Ah, Aislinn, that’s very helpful b/c I was going to say that on #3 I didn’t think s/he was actually a she.

They both have gigantic hands, too. Can anyone track down the origin of the hands?

Heather says:

None of them.

The 2nd one has a really bad color job on it. It looks like she has green roots. So I’m guessing she’s actually a blond.

I can’t guess what her hair cut is. Probably closest to the 2nd one, because the other 2 just have hair plopped on.

face24: Her face is going to be on at least 24 covers.

Babs says:

I’d vote for #3 out of all of them but none are great. What is the deal with her skin tone/tan lines?!?

redcrow says:

Nadezhda Durova?!
    (Why does she always end up in het?)

Elizabeth says:

I vote for the first one being real, because that’d explain the weird ear, someone trying to fill in what hair is not covering.

Cheryl says:

Is it just me, or is there something really funky going on w/the guy on the first cover?  Looks like he has a hairpiece slipping out of place.  Either that or he’s one of the crystal skull aliens from the last Indiana Jones movie (the ones with the elongated skulls) masquerading as an historical gentleman.

Sophie Gunn says:

Who cares about her hair, as she’s apparently dead. I think they took this pic horizontal, then stood her up to try to make her look more lifelike. Didn’t work.

becca says:

I think the first picture is stretched horizontally a bit, too – look at the length of her jaw in that one as opposed to in the other two.

Jeannie says:

I would just like to point out that the color of her hair in #1 can only be found in a box of Miss Clairol. Aside from that all three cuts/styles look awful. I have to admit that I actually like the gents hair. It looks like it would feel nice and silky sliding through your fingers.

Rima says:

None of them—she’s bald.

Ah, the magic of photoshop. And I think the reason her ear looks wonky is because it’s not her real ear. As I said, photoshop…

Barb says:

@library addict
    Yeah—I noticed that too.  Green coat in #1, bright blue in #2 and then, in #3, most of the coat is a dull blue—except part of the collar at the back, which is still bright blue!
    So Bitchery, now that we have decided she’s a bald model with two ears on one side of her head, we can tackle the vexing question of the true color of his coat!

Teri C says:

hahahaha I am going for #1 longer and straight. Oh man, there have to be a lot of book models out there ;)

Never mind ‘why didn’t he get a haircut’, why didn’t he get a box to stand on?

What about the blue in his hair?  Is that supposed to be wisps of gray?

ashley says:

i’m going to go with number 2, because the first is obviously fake, and well i just don;t like the third.

more importantly though, is she frikkin dead on the first cover??  what’s with the crazy light face and dark shoulders?

I’d be inclined to say #3 or else maybe the model was wearing a cap or has very short hair to make her photo more versatile.

Karen H says:

Cover #1 looks distorted probably because that’s the way the Kindle covers end up on the webpage.  I’ve seen it lots of times with books whose cover is technically the same but the paperback image looks good and the Kindle image looks distorted when you look at the larger image.  I can’t think of a good reason why, however, unless the Kindle version is optimized to display on the Kindle screen rather than a browser screen.

I think the weirdest thing is that her face is very pale (hand, too) but her chest is pretty tan.  Of course, the first cover makes it look like she’s so pale because she’s dead.

MissFifi says:

I am just left wondering if dude got paid for all these covers Or wait, maybe he is not even real!
    Damn photoshop, damn you to hell!

A baby flounder has eyes on each side of its head like a normal fish, but then as it gets older, one eye migrates around to join the other so it can be, well, a flounder. I’m thinking something similar is going on with those ears. I’m just sayin’.

Jenn LeBlanc says:

This is so frustrating. For so many reasons. I am a professional photographer, and if this was my image I would be pissed as hell. I don’t care if Harl purchased full rights or a mere license to kill, because kill it they did. Portfolio quality that is not. I’m not a photoshop guru but I could damn well change things better than that. AND I have- for illustrations.

I wrote a novel and I’m in the process of illustrating it, because, well, that’s what I do. What terrifies me since seeing all of the lovely Bitches posts on covers is selling my book with the images and there being some obscure wording in the contract that allows the publisher to do this kind of crap to my work. Or worse— using illustrations for my story on some other novel. I would go banshee-nut wicked crazy.

No self respecting photog would agree to this kind of treatment to their image. There are ways to do it well. Tan lines be warned. And haircolor. These are really shoddy hatchet jobs beyond the fact that they don’t know how to retain the proportions of the original image, or person. There are reasons for professionals in every trade.

ACK!

Donna says:

Well, upside, the cover on His Cavalry Lady was eye catching enough to send me over to the GBPL website to see if they have it in the stacks. SCORE!!

Sharon says:

That moon-over-miami discrepancy in her skin tones is a problem, isn’t it?  Unfortunately, one comes across women who rock that look IRL, too, especially women around my age coughcoughlookingatfiftycoughcough.

What I really want to know is what’s wrong with her neck—is that bruising, or did the model originally appear on a vampire romance cover and the dark marks are the result of an amateurish photoshopping effort?

Lora says:

I think none of them are real. Her ears seem low and tilted to me. Looks like the cosmo-hairstyle-try-on game gone mad.