Help A Bitch Out

HaBO: Carrots!

Hannah writes:

I’m looking for a book that I believe might have a rather generic title,
like “Rogue” or “Rake” or something broad like that. The hero and the
heroine are childhood pals, even though he’s 10 years older than her. She
has (you guessed it) red hair so he cleverly nicknames her carrot then gives
her golden carrot charm for her charm bracelet. Then, when he’s 18 and
she’s 8 or something like that, she gets mad at him for some reason, throws
the carrot charm at him and he keeps it on a gold chain around his neck for
the rest of his life.

I believe the heroine also has purple eyes and is French. At one point, she
and her grandmother let seven French aristocrats fleeing the Revolution stay
in their home, and they’re called the “Seven Deadly Cyns” for their
wicked and lascivious behaviour. The cover was quite camp, so I hope someone
can tell me the title!

I was pretty sure I’d be able to find this one using the power of Google, but alas, not. My GoogleFu came up with poo-diddly. But is it me, or does this sound like a pastiche of two books, the way my brain likes to combine Garth Brooks’ lyrics and old contemporary romances from the library?  Anyone recognize this book?

Help a Bitch Out

Ros says:

No idea, but my eyeballs are wincing at the combination of red hair and purple eyes.  Are we sure this heroine isn’t actually a Disney wicked stepmother?

Alissa says:

No idea, but it sounds fantastic! I hope someone recognises it. I also love how so many romance heroines have red hair!

knittingkat says:

Tonight or Never by Dara Joy ?

knittingkat says:

This book was funny, but romantic, and has a touch of “The Scarlet Pimpernel”-like intrigue in the plot.

moimoi says:

Yes! A violet ees and red hair combo! I’ve been wanting to find one of those ever since I read Simply Scandalous! (Oh how I love that book~)

The hero’s just told his father about a woman he thinks he might want to marry (not the heroine, thank goodness) and his father’s reaction totally made my day:

The Duke looked at him gravely. “She has violet eyes, Geoffrey.”

“Does she?”

“What if your son should inherit his father’s hair and his mother’s eyes? Violet eyes, Geoffrey, and red hair. Hardly a desirable combination. Why, the child would be a freak! The idea is to improve the Auckland countenance through careful breeding.”

Shelly says:

Knittingkat has it.

Peyton says:

I might be the only one but my first reaction to red hair and purple eyes? ALANNA OF TREBOND!

SusiB says:

Red hair and purple eyes?? And I suppose she wears pink dresses and orange coats too?

Aleyna says:

Oooh!  I love those books!

redcrow says:

I’m so accustomed to Amazing Technicolour Mary Sues that for the life of me can’t see what’s wrong with red hair and purple eyes. Now, if she had red hair and green skin… that would be clashing. This? Not so much.

ijinx says:

same thing I thought – but Alanna kicked ass and did not wear a carrot anywhere :)

Jenna says:

OMG, you were not kidding about the cover being camp. Too bad it doesn’t show the red hair + violet eyes combo.

teshara says:

It says the ‘Cyns’ are the seven Cyndreac brothers.

:D

Mireya says:

Yup, Dara Joy’s Tonight or Never.  Chloe is the name of the heroine and she also has violet eyes.  Everything mentioned is in the book (I looked at my copy to make sure I was not mixing it up with another one).

I have been trying to remember a book involving a tall, slim, red-headed heroine who is not particularly attractive, but that’s pretty much I can remember.  The hero, I believe, used to be a childhood friend of hers.  The setting is either Georgian, Regency or Victorian (I know, not that much help there either).

M.

Olivia says:

It’s a Stephanie Laurens book.  Her Cynster series involves the characters introduced in this novel.

knittingkat says:

I’m sticking with Dara Joy’s Tonight or Never.
    Redhead, violet eyes, 7 Cyndreac brothers arrive on the scene on page 229 after escaping the guillotine and having their estate has been confiscated, the main characters are Chloe and John, his nickname “Lord of Sex”,  tiny gold carrot charm he wears around his neck.  Sir Percy has works undercover for England using the name The Black Rose.

Heike M. says:

you’re not the only one! (obviously, cause I’m not the first to reply to this)
    I love these books, too! And Alanna did kick ass!

Suzanne says:

Yeah Allana was my first thought…my second was a query to why thats an ugly combination.

Elizabeth Taylor has violet eyes, but they are blue with a shading towards violet. Blue eyes and ginger is common.

**shrugs**

His nickname is “Lord of Sex”?  Are you kidding me?  Did his close buds call him “Duke of Slut” on the sly?

sam says:

heheh, i’d LOVE to have that colouring! …but i also love to wear eye-bleeding colours; i have happily worn pink paisley skirts with orange t-shirts and pomegranate red shoes, and quite enjoy having to wear fluoro orange hi-viz shirts for work:)

haha, although 96 is my checkword: although 96 people had to have their retinas operated on after sighting my ensemble

Chicklet says:

“Prince of Punanny,” actually. *g*

PallasJay says:

^  Ok, that is some funny stuff.  I’m going to have to create some sort of situation that allows me to call someone a “Prince of Punanny”.  I love having new goals!

JamiSings says:

@PallasJay – I’ve got two ideas for you. Either you can write a paranormal about an incubus-like fae who’s actual name in the Court is Prince Punanny. OR you could write one about a male sex surrogate who’s friends totally misunderstand what his job is about and call him that – in front of the heroine no less!

moimoi, because of the excerpt you posted I now *have* to read Simply Scandalous (Tamara Lejeune, right?) :p

Tiff says:

I don’t believe the two “Cyns” are related.  Laurens’ series has only 6 original Cynster cousins and the prequel to Devil’s Bride, which is A Promise in a Kiss, is set in London.

Cathy says:

Wow, first time I’ve ever recognized a HABO request.  As I recall, the wedding night in that book was pretty damn funny.

RebeccaJ says:

Now was this just straight red hair or was this “riotous corkscrew curls” that she couldn’t tame no matter how she tried? Lord knows I’ve read that line often enough.

Donna says:

Oh, me too! First time I recognized a HABO book! And I don’t have to pull it off the shelf to know this is Dara Joy’s “Tonight of Never.” Not her best work. Honestly, only “Rejar” could be considered above a C+, not that I haven’t read them all. And having said this… has she developed some terrible disease or die or something cause it’s been like a decade since I’ve seen a new book?
    Many69. Seriously? So many thoughts, so little time!

Nadia says:

One of my girls has those red, riotous curls that cannot be contained (well, not without a prodigious amount of product, anyway), but alas, we have given up hope of a future match with the Duke of Slut because her eyes are a mere brown.  Perhaps we can aspire to a tycoon of European descent or even a tormented secret agent man, with the help of colored contacts.

Kathy C says:

So I decided I had to read this book based on the description. My network of 20 something libraries didn’t have it so I went to the interlibrary loan service. Only 3 libraries in the entire state of a copy. hmm…should I take that as a warning? I requested it any way.