My Initial Reaction to the iPad

I am underwhelmed.

Here’s my initial thoughts on Apple’s big announcement, culled from Notepad and Twitter.

- iPad?! Really?! REALLY? Gosh, I’m sorry I no longer have a Nook now. They would have been great partners.

The iPad, now available in Light, Maxi, and Super (8Gb, 16Gb 64Gb)? As Tessa Dare said, are there NO women at Apple who could have given them the heads up (HA) that this is a BAD NAME?

Please someone tell me they’ll just name the next device iVAGINA and be done with it? Is this how they’re targeting female technology consumers and book readers? Sweet holy crap.

- Yadda yadda bunch of stuff it does yay.

- iBooks: HOLY LAMESAUCE people. It was a throwaway app demo, with more time spent on games and on their iWork suite.

- It uses ePub. Water is extra wet sometimes.

- Helloooo? DRM? There’s none in iTunes now… so, absence of mention makes me very curious. Like, if you have to ask, you won’t like the answer.

- The amount of time spent on iBooks made it insignificant, especially when I stopped to ponder what COULD have been shown.

There was a momentary display of the store, and the pricing therein didn’t thrill me, and a display of animated page turning. Woo. A choice of fonts… five fonts.

This isn’t “standing on the shoulders of Kindle.” It’s giving the Kindle half a nod from across a ballroom full of other people you’d rather talk to.

Then there was copious onanism about iWork, particularly Pages, and this is where I got really annoyed. How is there not more integration between iBooks and the iWork suite, especially as their featured demo was a term paper in progress with illustrations and source material?

What about onboard social networks, email functionality, or notation from inside iBooks? Wouldn’t that be a key feature to intregrate with the endless onward wanking about Pages? For example: writing a report… and easily with a single gesture including both the source material and the citation using iBooks and Pages?

I realize that reading isn’t the utmost important thing for everyone else, but come on now! Productivity in all forms includes printed material. The lack of interaction demonstrated in iBook makes me hope for other reading alternatives on the iPad (DEAR GOD THE NAME). Color me underwhelmed in a big, big way.

I am planning to order one, as I’m very curious about iBook, and about whether or not I’ll be able to use Stanza on it. Stanza on the iPhone is a hot sexy revelation.

With the iPad, my biggest concern is will my retinas hate me if I read on it. I love the Stanza features while reading, especially the email and Twitter integration, but the eyestrain I get from focusing on such a tiny screen is so painful it’s unreal.

Reading on the iPad may be awesome and comfy, despite the backlighting.

IF I’m able to use Stanza. iBook didn’t wow me out of the box, (Heh heh. Box.) and I hope I have options. However, as Jane pointed out in conversation on Twitter, alternative video or music or app stores are not on the iPhone. I hope this doesn’t mean I have to hack my iPad to use Stanza. And tape it together. Using wings.

Finally, one last thought about the iPad: someone, anyone, ask a woman before you name a device. Please.

You can watch the presentation online already:

DS says:

I was hoping you would have your comment up.  Underwhelmed indeed.  Aside from the name it just looks like a big iphone.  I don’t know if I will get one or not.

liz m says:

I don’t want to buy new purses. Right now my Tokidoki Sorrisso fits a 160GB ipod, a Sony 505, a Nokia phone and all my assorted stuff. So right away, the iPad is too big and needs to come in a compact size.

I’m concerned about eyestrain but FAR more interested than you are in iBooks. If I can use the iBookstore with a Sony, then it’s on. The pricing they showed was cheaper for paperbacks – all the paperbacks on the demo screen were $4.99. If there’s a DRM workaround like there always has been iTunes (even when there winknod wasn’t)  that could be huge to me.

Calibre and I never bonded, so I’m open to a decent book file app. But it it’s locked to the iPad, then fail of epic fail.

dangrgirl says:

I was under the impression that every single iPhone app can be run on the new tablet device. This means you should be able to run the Stanza iPhone app on it.

Bonnie says:

Yes, I am underwhelmed as well.  Not what I was really expecting.  It’s too big.  I also expected it to be a phone.  I have too many gadgets as it is.

The name doesn’t bother me at all.  When I first read it, my mind didn’t go there.

Ah well, I’ll save some money on this one.

Jen Penny says:

It seems like some of the iPhone apps have to be stretched oddly to fit the screen of the iPad (WHY JOBS? WHY???)

I think the battery life is the biggest wow feature to me. But it really pisses me off as well that they marketed this presentation so heavily to the fan boys and gamers, and completely overlooked more practical uses and integrations. I’m sure they’re there, the just weren’t highlighted. One more reason to talk to a woman.

L says:

HOLD IT!!  Before everyone get’s their pads in a bunch. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST!!!  It will save on scathing comments on your blog.  I can’t believe you didn’t research that first.

There is NOTHING on Apple’s website about the iPad being available in Light, Maxi, and Super.  Those are comments you took from Twitter.

It is available with 3 different sizes of memory and choice of wireless or 3G.

Go here for the actual facts:

No, I’m not promoting the device.  Just be fair to Apple. And they do have women employed there.

I would have put myself on the Buy List if I had a choice of ebook formats to choose from instead of just epub.  I don’t want to be tied to one store to buy from.  I want to buy from whomever I choose to.  DON’T LIMIT ME.

It’s a good try, but not quite there.

Jen Penny says:

Oh and I don’t know why everyone’s saying it’s too big. Check out this side by side w/ Kindle and iPhone: http://twitpic.com/101jb6

Ridley says:

The name, dear God, THE NAME!

I can not see it or say it without thinking of the dark time in jr. high before I discovered tampons. Those are not the sensations you want to evoke with your product name.

I was also underwhelmed. I hate their lovefest with AT&T, for one, up to 10hrs seems way too short a battery life and I’m wary of iBooks. I definitely feel no need to preorder but I may try one in a store later on.

I certainly don’t see this being the ereading killer app it was supposed to be.

SB Sarah says:

Yup. Those are comments I wrote on Twitter. It was a joke.

dangrgirl says:

The iPad runs 14,000 iPhone apps. Including Stanza.

And really, this is a first gen product. I think it’s pretty safe to say there will be improvements.

AngW says:

Initial impressions in the Yay! Category
    – I can finally organize my ebooks in a way that makes sense
    – Potential for cookbooks in ebook form
    –  Can finally watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a device without whimpering about battery life when stuck on a plane
    – The ability to use Keynote
    – cheaper paperbacks
    – Can watch cooking vids while in the kitchen without having to work around my laptop and OMG is the laptop more expensive than the iPad
    – One month idle time battery life (Kindle is only 2 weeks)
    – Using Evernote on this device would be made of awesome
    – Not locked into a 2-yr contract for 3GS
    – Live baseball games (this one is for the man of the house)

In the Meh! Category:
    – Pages and Numbers
    – No WACOM / stylus support for Brushes, Sketchbok, etc.
    – Runs the iPhone OS

In the Boo! WTH! Category:
    – No camera = no vid chatting
    – No mention of OS 4.0, which is rumored to allow multi-tasking on the iPhone (and I guess the iPad now)
    – No idea how big of a purse I’d need for this thing. Oof.
    – With the reported processor speed, it should run more than a phone OS and should be able to handle office apps without them being, well, phone apps
    – A letdown considering what Apple did with the Macbook Air
    – Glorified iPhone
    – No USB

Neither Here nor There:
    – It’s a first generation and bound to be buggy.
    – Will have to see about the DRM issue on the ebooks

That said, I’ll probably get either the 16 or 32 gb version.  The Kindle interface is beginning to annoy the heck out of me and it’d be nice to try something new. Heck, since the iPhone apps work on the iPad, I could just load up the Kindle app and not have to deal.

Chris says:

My first thought was “Oh, you shoulda gone with iSlate or iTablet or anything other than i(maxi)Pad…”

My veri is “bad47” – as in that name was a bad idea.

dangrgirl says:

- Can watch cooking vids while in the kitchen without having to work around my laptop and OMG is the laptop more expensive than the iPad

I have an old ibook and would like to invest in an ebook reader aside from my iphone. This is cheaper than buying a new laptop no matter what AND has an ereader built in—plus I can run Stanza or the Kindle app on it. I can use it to write with the keyboard dock and it would fit in one of my larger purses.

The name stinks and the overdone gamer marketing was annoying.

dangrgirl says:

“iSlate” was evidently already trademarked, but almost anything is better than iPad.

Angge says:

I love when someone comes in a rage, telling people to get their facts straight and do research, then make a mistake of their own. Chill and learn to laugh. It was a joke.

Jen Penny says:

Gizmodo on iBooks: “It’s an optical illusion, but just seeing the depth of pages makes the iBook app feel more like a book than a Kindle ever did for me. The text is sharp, and while the screen is bright, it doesn’t seem to strains the eyes—but time will tell on that.” http://i.gizmodo.com/5457757/

As much as I’m drawn to it though, until the lack of Flash is addressed, I don’t think I want to bother.

AngW says:

This! Part of the reason I’m annoyed by the lack of OS 4.0 mention. Rumor being 4.0 bringeth the Flash support. May have to wait till the next Apple even, which I think is in March.

AngW says:

Update via Gizmodo.com: http://i.gizmodo.com/5458376/apple-ipads-myriad-optional-dongles-usb-sd-ac-bbq

USB and SD card slot attachments.  Listed under “Camera Connection Kit” or something like that.  So, you could sync your camera and upload pics or yanks your books off your SD card.

Sharon says:

Well, the reason you can’t integrate anything with iBook is that there’s no multitasking support: you also cannot listen to music while reading, and I wonder how many seconds would elapse between wanting to look something up, managing to do so via wireless, and returning to the book you were reading…. I think this is a big sad oversight, since the processor is fast enough to handle more than one task at a time.

Re: comment upthread about game marketing overload: the iPhone has provoked a rather successful gaming market, which has surprised many. I don’t think a 9.7” iPad will be as easy to play with, however, especially since the iPhone’s oscilloscope drives some of the catchier games.

Cathy says:

I agree on almost all counts.  This feels very much like a product getting tossed onto shelves just to say that you had it first.  I anticipate significant improvements in the version I’m sure will be released next year.

I was annoyed, too, by the random facts getting tossed out during the presentation.  Like that the iPad can be in idle mode for a month before the battery dies.  Who the hell leaves their computer in idle mode for a month?  Just turn the dang thing off.  Also, why wouldn’t you use your new iToy for a month?  iCoaster?  I can leave my Kindle on idle indefinitely, but that really wasn’t a selling point.  “Hey, if I don’t actually use this expensive bit of technology, the battery will last forever!”  iDumb.

Karenmc says:

I have a 2nd Gen ipod Touch, which I love. No need to buy one of these yet, but eventually I’ll want a bigger screen, especially for all the reading I do. As it evolves and the price drops, it’ll probably look better and better.

Nat says:

iPad…? Oh boy.

Jen Penny says:

Ok and here’s the backlash: http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/

They make a lot of great points. When I think about the number of years this has been in development, it’s odd that it feels like it was still so rushed. (Notice, I’m almost exclusively referring to it as “it”… I just can’t say it with a straight face)

TaraL says:

Amazing. Suddenly the Kindle looks affordable. Looks like I will continue with my Apple-free lifestyle.

Kalen Hughes says:

Sweet sucking Jebus . . . catch the freaken joke clue before you spaz out on someone else’s blog.

When looking at the pricing all I can think is Wow, I could buy an eReader and a PC net book for that (and maybe a couple of nice meals out).

jfpbookworm says:

I can’t decide if this is best described as a netbook without a keyboard, a Kindle with an inferior screen, or a less portable iPod Touch.

AngW says:

Sharon said:

..you also cannot listen to music while reading

On iPhones that support the current OS 3.1, this is not the case. I can listen to music while using Stanza and so far, it hasn’t cut out on me while using the Kindle app. This is the same for Safari, the Twitter app I use, several PopCap games…  I do agree that it’s not true multi-tasking.

Annmarie Ortega says:

The name is horrible. Do you think they’ll come out with another version… “now with wings”? LOL

dangrgirl says:

This is interesting because I had the opposite thought—now I don’t need to buy two devices. I can have just one that does both things and fits in my purse. Quick Googling shows me that an ASUS Eee PC with a 9” screen is about $450 and a Kindle is $260 = $710.

Or I could spend $499 and have a netbook and an ereader that runs multiple kinds of ereader apps. That’s about $200 worth of meals out.

I wonder if Apple didn’t include some important features so they have somewhere to go with the 2nd gen.