Friday Videos Love the Tango

From Rebecca Pawel comes this footage from Tangomania in Amsterdam, December 2009. It’s amazing for the music and the skill of the two dancers—and Pawel points out that “tango has a bit of the same image problem as romance novels…a set of Old Skool stereotypes that don’t really reflect its actual complex reality.  Only instead of heaving bosoms and ripped bodices in tango it’s slicked-back hair and roses between the teeth and grimacing expressions that look like indigestion.”

It’s mesmerizing, this one. Enjoy, and have a tangoriffic weekend.

ETA: Am trying to find out what song that is – do you recognize it? Googling the lyrics “Aunque no los nombres” yields nothing.

ETAII: Found it! Viejos Amores by Leon Gieco   Lyrics are here.

Friday Videos

Carrie Lofty says:

But…but…they were actually smiling on occasion and looked like they were enjoying themselves!

Angela says:

Time for me to rock teh awesome!  The song is called Viejos Amores by Leon Geico (who is probably NOT a Gecko).

Lyrics are:

Vienen a visitarte de tanto en tanto
    Ellos solos se anuncian
    en un sueño liviano,
    juntan las manos
    Son los viejos amores que te recorren,
    laberinto de flores
    aunque no los nombres

Tienen forma de aire y dos aromas
    de siempre conocidos
    Nadie puede cambiar
    la música de sus palabras
    Son los viejos amores que se aparecen
    sin querer, de repente,
    aunque no los nombres

Esos que te rescatan de algún abismo,
    los que dan la sonrisa,
    llaman esta mañana domingo por la ventana
    Son los viejos amores que están adentro,
    siempre latiendo,
    aunque no los nombres

Angela says:

Whoops!  Spelling of the last name is actually Gieco.  He has a wiki page.

joykenn says:

Wow!  Certainly a different kind of tango—slow sexy and languid.  Lyrics seem to fit the slow guitar and slow dance—my Spanish is too poor to catch anything but a phrase here and there but from what I remember here’s what I catch… When we visit from time to time…in a light sleep joined hands old loves, travel a labyrinth of flowers.. but not the names.

Can someone with more than high school Spanish give us an idea of what he’s singing?

Beautiful!  I love to see dance with a different interpretation. Just like the dance steps are the same, it doesn’t mean the dance is formulaic. And neither are romances just because they are about the development of a relationship.

Of course if you look at their number two video,
    (at the bottom once the YouTube video finishes) it reminds me a whole lot more of a Harlequin Presents romance on the dance floor.

jody says:

For anyone who thinks there’s nothing on earth sexier than tango (I am one), I highly recommend the Carlos Saura film ‘Tango’‘.  It’s wonderful.

Lovely. Just enough tension to underscore the tenderness.

Ana says:

Joykenn, may be not very accurate, and certainly not poetic at all but i’ll translate as follows:

They come to visit from time to time
    They ¿introduce? themselves
    in a light dream,
    (they) put their hands together
    They are the old loves that go through you,
    flower labyrinth
    even if you don’t name them

They have the shape of air and two fragances
    from always known
    Nothing can change
    the music in their words
    (They) are the old loves that appear
    accidentally, suddenly,
    even if you don’t name them

Those that save you from some abyss,
    those who give the smile,
    call this sunday morning through the window
    (They) are the old loves that are ¿within? ¿inside?,
    always beating,
    even if you don’t name them

Sorry for any nonsense or misspell :(

Lisa Hendrix says:

Tango, the ultimate “vertical expression of a horizontal desire.” (George Bernard Shaw).  Thanks so much for posting this lovely example.

My daughter does ballroom dancing and her favorite is tango. You can see why a teenage girl would enjoy it so, but I think I’d better not let her dad watch this.

Regina says:

Based on the music and the rhythm, I think this is an Argentine tango.  When you think ‘bodice ripper’, you’re thinking American tango – I actually love both.

captcha code – are56 – am not!

joykenn says:

Thank you, Ana, for your translation.  Even with the bits and pieces of the lyrics that I caught it is beautiful and fits the music and the dance extremely well.

I wonder why romance authors never fully explore the possibilities in the dance.  Certainly historic romances talk about the waltz being considered “fast” in some circles but don’t really explore this much.  Believe me so few men are willing to dance anymore that a good dancer can really, really impress a woman.  Hey a cowboy in a well filled out pair of jeans and some country music can really get your heart to beating fast.  Harlequins with their Spanish grandees, Brazilian millionaires are nothing on a man who could dance the tango.

ghn says:

Whooo! Looks like the most fun you can have while still being vertical!

lexie says:

Loved the dancing…but the refrain sounded like a slow version of an old song. “Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me….” Great, it’s stuck.

Glynis says:

Mmm. I loves me some Argentine tango. It’s beautiful, sensual, and a relationship made manifest—even if it’s only three minutes long. And, like any relationship, at its best when both partners give and take.

Tango looks simple, but its nuances and moods are infinite. I heartily endorse the suggestion of “Tango” by Carlos Saura. Also, the music of Astor Piazzolla.

Did you know that it’s considered very bad form to only dance one song with a partner? Two songs are better, but three are ideal. Also, the person asking to dance doesn’t walk over to the prospective partner—he “asks” her with a glace across the room. Very subtle, and much less embarrassing for everyone if the dance is refused.

Betsy says:

ooh this is amazingly sexy!

Susan/DC says:

Has anyone else seen Sally Potter’s “The Tango Lesson” (1997)?  Like all her films it has its own bits of weirdness, but the dancing was great fun, and I liked the movie enough to buy the DVD.

ashley says:

that was so pretty. it’s nice to see a tango that is less about sex and more about love.  so romantic.

and lexie, that song is called knock three times by tony orlando and dawn

super good song.

Jocelyn Z says:

My husband and I started taking dance lessons right before our wedding (we didn’t want to fall down during our first dance), and have kept with it because we love it.  We started taking Argentine tango because we went to Argentina for our Honeymoon (delayed honeymoon, so we got in six months worth of lessons before we went).  American or International tango is the super-dramatic, performance style tango with roses and the grimaces – though that’s a stereotype of our bastardized version of this dance, even the most ballroomy tango can be subtle and beautiful, though it’s true there’s more emotional tension between the dance partners than in other ballroom styles.  Argentine tango can be like that, too, but it is so much more.

At Milongas, neighboorhood dances, it’s friendly and casual, but a beautiful way to demonstrate love and desire (as this dance showed).  In performance, it can be dramatic and emotional and one of the most demonstrative dances out there.  The hold is much closer than most other partner dancing, and both people are forward-weighted, putting your head and chests closer together than in other dances (this is kind of funny for my husband and I – I’m 3 inches taller than he is, and when I wear heels his face is in my boobs when we dance).  I loved seeing this video – the connection between the dancers really shows off the best kind of leading and following, where the dancers are truly attuned to each other, complete attention focused on how the other person is moving.

I’m with Joykenn – I’ve often wondered why more attention isn’t paid to people’s physical reactions when dancing in romance novels.  When you first dance with a new person, there’s an almost uncomfortable level of physical awareness of the other person, even to my (shy, but throughly modern) sensibilities.  That kind of utter absorption in how someone else moves seems like it would come in handy in any romance.

Gennita Low says:

I enjoyed the Tango so much I put in a sequence of the dance in one of my books. It was way too fun taking some lessons to get the feel of some of the moves and holds.  My hero and heroine had a good time too ;).

Diane says:

My mom always said never to marry a man that couldn’t dance. I came to understand that if a guy won’t take me dancing just to please me, he probably won’t be any good at that other dance.