Inbox Pot Pourri

From the inbox, we have an assortment of things that I wanted to share. Ready?

First, from Zoe Archer: “You need a picture of David Beckham in a yarmulke.”

OH YES I DO. And so do you. Happy Hanukkah indeed.

image

Now that this is out of the way, let’s move on to some free ebooks: Random House is offering six free titles through Lexcycle/Stanza. They are a limited time offer so download while supplies last (snort). The titles are:

* Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur
  * Changelings by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
  * Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
  * Templar Legacy by Steve Berry
  * Starfist: First to Fight by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
  * Demon Awakens by R. A. Salvatore

Thanks to Lee for the link!

Doing research? Here’s everything you wanted to know about the vaginal corona, better known as the hymen (note: this is a PDF), from the RFSU, the Swedish Association for Sexuality Education. Key point from this PDF: “The vaginal corona is located 1–2 cm inside the vaginal opening, not deep inside the vagina.”

THE DEVIL YOU SAY.

Thanks to Raney for the link.

The Link-O-Lator

Scrin says:

OH YOU LUCKY BITCHES

I wish I had an iPhone now, just for two of those six books. I read them a while back, and can’t find them now.

By the way, my sister recommends Perdido Street Station from the bottom of her heart. I haven’t gotten around to trying it, but I trust her judgment.

Mel says:

Darn, here in Oz, I can only see the Berry, Sherman and Salvatore on my Stanza/Random House online catalog.  I would’ve tried the Melville…seem to have Trading in Danger (Elizabeth Moon), The Best of Robert E. Howard and A Kiss of Shadows (LKH) instead of the Arthur, Melville and McCaffrey.

Mutters about geographical restrictions…

Ooh, I like the e-potpourri format—it’s got something for everyone, and the smell doesn’t make my eyes water.

KimberlyD says:

Mel, thats not an Oz restriction. Thats what I see here in the US as well :(

The Best of Robert E. Howard
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K Hamilton
    Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon
    The Templar Legacy
    Starfist: First to Fight by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    The Demon Awakens by R A Salvatore
    Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice by John Jackson Miller
    The Song is You Excerpt by Arthur Phillips
    Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston
    Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston
    A Dangerous Man by Charlie Huston

I thought I was crazy because I couldn’t find the books listed. I’ve read Kiss of Shadows and have no desire to reread it. So the only one I’ve downloaded so far is the Elizabeth Moon book. Anyone recommend any of the others?

Vinca says:

Heh, back in high school I was all about R A Salvatore’s Frogotten Realms books; I was such a Drizzt/Catti-Brie shipper.  No idea how his Demon Realms books are, though.

Scrin says:

The Demon Wars? They’re darker. A lot darker. The good guys win, but it can often cost them hard. It’s got some cool characters in it, though. However…one of them gets life so hard, Wulfgar doesn’t have much to complain about. Yes, I’ve read all the Forgotten Realms stuff, and I am still saying that.

And he’s also writing a prequel series. The Demon Wars is set 800-something years after some prophet revealed himself, while the prequels are set in Year 70-something.

You can try it, but it’ll take a while, and you’ll see some harsh stuff. And, this being Salvatore, the occasional good laugh and lots of badass fighting.

Abby says:

1.  Vaginal Corona would either be an awesome name for a band, or a terrible name for a beer.

2.  Best.  Imagery.  Ever.

spamword: when95:  When 95% of the penis is in before the hymen is broken, you’re probably reading a romance novel.

Kate Jones says:

It’s not 2-3 inches in?!  What?!  All of my biological illusions are shattered.

all57: All 57 historicals on my keeper shelf have improper hymen placement.

vivian Arend says:

**accepts the PDF, puts it on the research shelf and thumps head on desk quietly**

Oops? :)

Spamword: want55
    I want 55 words retracted, please, and I promise to NEVER get it wrong again. :)

Jessica G. says:

Those titles were free on Sony and Amazon for a while. I snagged “Full Moon Rising” and just read it a week or so ago. Too rapey for my tastes.

And did not everyone else get “What’s Happening to my Body Book for Girls?” I specifically remember a nifty chapter on hymens and their location and types.

Gathers Scrolls says:

Oddly, I can still remember the incorrect placement being taught in high-school health class, in the 1990s. By several different teachers. Who were all women. Older women. Women who, surely, might know otherwise? Is this some kind of in-joke? (No pun intended.)
    I just finished re-reading Dead Until Dark, by Charlaine Harris, and, yep, it’s a similar scenario. (I did love the book, by the way.)
    How in the world did this start, and why is it continuing?

Hi, first time here and fond this great chance to download this awesome books.  The pic is also very nice.  I would like to check your other posts.

Scrin says:

SF says:

As the title is POTPOURRI, I would like to bring up a small matter of miscellany.  Since finding this site, I’ve burned through everything you rate at B or higher [thank you ever so much].  Continuing in my quest for more more more I went to your “links” page.  Sigh.  I realize housekeeping has no place in romance, but there is a serious need for clean up on Aisle Links.  In your spare time, of course.

JoAnn says:

No mention of the hymenal band, which which some of us were/are lucky (she said sarcastically) enough to have.

S says:

H-haha I feel so ignorant about my own body

/shame

Alyssa says:

I realize the topic of the pdf itself should have been a clue, but I think this post could use a warning that when you click on the link, your screen gets filled by a HUGE picture of a vagina, and that when you quickly scroll down, the text is in what appears to be 28 point font (in other words, also very very large).

Though I am now proud of myself, because it turns out that the one relevant sex scene I have written apparently features (well, not features but YKWIM) a correctly placed hymen. Hah!

If anyone likes weird stuff, I highly recommend Perdido Street Station.