Friday Videos Are Retro

Here’s proof that you can give someone about my age who grew up in the US the eager shivers with 6 seconds of drums and a rotating word.

Seeing this always meant I was staying up late to watch something… special. Amazing how something so short can make such a big impression.

Friday Videos

Lita says:

Freakin’ awesome.  Those few seconds were the best of the entire week when I was 7 years old.  It got to the point that I’d grab the TV Guide and go right to the “Specials” section before the “Movies” (after the glossy articles pages) to see if there was anything good on that week.

Was Charlie Brown a CBS property, or was it Winnie the Pooh?  Don’t remember – but Specials were magical.

Lita

Spamword – family87 – I must have watched at least 87 specials with my family.

Back in my news reporting days there was an old UPI machine that sat behind where I worked.  Listening to the bells when a story would break had a Pavlovian effect on me, though I never got to hear the full “HOLY CRAP, IT’S THE SECOND COMING!” ten+ bells.

Old timers said the only time they heard that in my lifetime was the assassination of JFK and when man walked on the moon.

Thanks for the reminder.  As Walter Cronkite would have said, “And that’s the way it is.”

Lynn M says:

Holy cow! When I read your remark I was doubtful, but the second I played the video, I felt it! That rush of anticipation and the thrill I used to get as a kid during the holidays.

It’s kind of sad that these days of DVDs mean that my kids don’t have that same memory of watching Christmas/Holiday specials. I admit it, we never catch any of the holiday shows on TV. I’ve denied them this right of passage. Bad parent!

Chicklet says:

For years, I thought the CBS Special notification was a Charlie Brown Special notification, because those were the only specials I watched. Later, I realized CBS ran that before every special, not just Charlie Brown.

Becky says:

This was the best sound EVER when I was a kid!  I remember intense disappointment once when the magical swirly Special came on and then it was some dumb grown up thing, like football or something.  I was well trained to expect Charlie Brown or Rudolph or something good like that.

Zoe Archer says:

Should I ever unfortunately suffer cardiac arrest, all anyone has to do to restart my heart is play that little clip.  Best. Sound. Ever.  I knew joy was on the horizon.

Darlynne says:

Ooh, yes, I remember this.

Does anyone else recall (and you would have to be older, like me) when NBC’s Saturday Night at the Movies aired? The introduction showed flashing marquee lights (not the later peacock) and music that meant great things were coming to the TV screen. I would love to hear/see that again.

teshara says:

:: fingers itch to go put Yogi Bear’s First Christmas in the DVD player ::

Laura (in PA) says:

Wow. I didn’t realize how long it’s been since I heard that sound. It always accompanied great anticipation. Thanks for the flashback!

Oooh talk about fond memories—seeing that immediately made me smile! I loved being able to stay up late and watch the specials. Makes me think of anything Charlie Brown.

It seems like that used that for a long time, because I was born in ‘80 and I remember seeing that before the holiday shows!

Oh yeah, attention grabber! Then Darlene M revived another memory—the chunka chunka of the UPI machine in the corner of the newsroom when I was an intern at a radio station. Compared to sitting in class trying to understand why plotting statistics was a necessary component for a communication degree, that sound linked me in a small way to the people who were actually DOING REAL NEWS.

SusannaG says:

Man, does that one bring back good memories.

CBS should bring it back, like NBC did the peacock.

Jo. Jacovino says:

For me, it was the AP machine – a clunky old dot-matrix printer that you had to check and clear of paper regularly or else 1) your weather/news/sports wouldn’t be up-to-the-minute or 2) your newsroom would be lost under a deluge of printer paper.  It gave rise to the term “rip-n-read,” something NO broadcast journalist worth her salt wanted to be accused of doing.  Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite!

And and me to the list of folks who went to A Very Happy Place when I saw that six-second snippet!

@Jo: Dot matrix?  Dot matrix sounded like it was farting out the news!  When we got one of those newfangled contraptions I longed for my cast iron, steampunk UPI machine that made noise like it had balls as well as bells!

We old news hens should probably find a chat room where we can cackle about life in the 20th century.[g]

katiebabs says:

Anyone remember the old school HBO in space promo before every movie?

Bob says:

Dot Matrix?  Reboot!

Jo. Jacovino says:

I know, I know, dot matrix seems wimpy now, but back in MY era of news coverage, it was pretty cool.  There was nothing like knowing there was some upcoming news event (bad weather, ruling on some court case, etc), hearing the AP printer fire up, and running in to see what was coming off in case it was what you were waiting for!

@ Darlene – apparently I’m still just a news chick, because I never even saw a machine such as you describe (although it does sound pretty cool!)