Help A Bitch Out

Help a Dude Out: Looking for a Holiday Gift

From a nice gentleman named Phillip:

Basically, I’m a guy that likes a girl, we’ve been dating for a month or
two, and I happened across the story of how she became known as Germaine.

Turns out, her mother was reading a romance novel in the hospital when she
was born and decided to name her after a character. For Christmas this year,
I want to find this book for her! However, no one knows the name of this
book, not even her mother! The only facts that I know are these:

- The main character’s name is Germaine,
– The main character is a nun who escapes or runs away from a convent for love.
– Printed before 1987

Unfortunately this is all I have to go by right now…

Anyone remember this book? It’s shopping time (what an awesome gift).

Help a Bitch Out

Laurel says:

Good luck! If you can pull this off it will go down in the gift hall of fame. Stellar.

iasmin says:

The possibilities of her being named after Germaine Greer, feminist writer, are astounding when you consider Greer’s attendance at a private convent.

I have no idea, but I just wanna go…. aaaawwww….that’s got to be one of the sweetest, coolest ideas ever.

get his DNA on file.

the clones will be magnificent!

;)

(can’t help, but he’s an awesome fella!)

Madd says:

Why does this sound familiar to me? I think I might have read this when I was a kid.

Not ringing any bells, but damn if Phillip doesn’t sound like a total dreamboat.

What a sweetie!  Wish I knew the name of the book to help him out.

Monica Burns says:

I SURE wish I could help you out, but DAMN, if this gal doesn’t know how lucky she is, send her here and we’ll explain it to her. This is one of those gestures that will make a girl cry.

emilytd says:

When’s her birthday? I’ve got a librarian friend I can ask.

I don’t know the book, but if this guy pulls this off, he deserves major kudos. Heck, he should get props just for asking.

Maggie P. says:

why does this make me think of a Victoria Holt?

Mollyscribbles says:

Should you be unable to track down a copy in time, send her here and we’ll all vouch that you’re a keeper.

I bet you put the seat down and remember her birthday, too.

Lisa Hendrix says:

Could it be one of Chelsea Quinn Yarborough’s St. Germaine vampire books? A MORTAL GLAMOUR is set in a 14th c French convent?  Here’s a snippet of description:

Seur Aungelique wants to know what it feels like to love, to lust, to have sex, so she runs away to try to find sanctuary at Un Noveautie, the establishment of the most accomplished courtesan is France, la Comtesse Orienne de Hautlimois.

A full description is at http://www.curledup.com/mortalgl.htm

Another, less likely, possibility is THE WIDE SARGASSO SEA by Jean Rhys (a prequel to Jane Eyre, about the first Mrs. Rochester). The heroine is in a convent with a girl named Germaine, but that’s really the only similary

Nara Malone says:

Wicked Loving Lies, by Rosemary Rogers, had that plot line but the character’s name was Marisa.

Sophie says:

The only romantic novel that comes to mind is by author George Sand (pseudonym of Amandine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin).  The title of the book is Germain’s Marriage.  However, I should mention that in this book there is no nun escaping from a convent- instead there is a priest who is heavily involved in the main character’s search for a wife.  I should also point out that in this book, the name is spelled Germain, not Germaine- and it is a name of the male lead.

Here is the Google Books link: http://books.google.com/books?id=dbUaAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_navlinks_s#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Here’s a link for more info on the author: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/gsand.htm

I doubt this is the book; but I figured I’d mention it since there’s a remote chance it might be.

Rosemary says:

Honestly, Phillip, if the book doesn’t turn up, just print this page, comments included, and put it in a nice frame.

You clearly give good gift.

molly_rose says:

Good luck, Philip!

Lostshadows says:

Actually, that one isn’t a St. Germain book, and I don’t remember any of the nuns having a similar name. Also, I’m not sure anyone would think of it as a romance.

BTW, Yarbro.

Sorry, no clue what the book could be, but I hope you can find it.

If you don’t find an answer here I have another suggestion.

On many of the baby name sites they have a place to post comments or join discussions on a particular name.
    You might try posting the same question on one of those sites. You could find someone else named Germaine who was named after the same character and they might know the title.

mulberry says:

I have no idea about the book, but I want to “aaaaahhhhh” too. Germaine is one lucky girl!

ella144 says:

Phillip,
    You might want to check out the site What was that book.  The community is pretty good about finding books from very few details (sometimes less than you’ve provided here).

Good luck!

nekobawt says:

Kathy said on…
    11.23.09 at 01:57 PM
    Picasso had an affair with a girl named Germaine.  She led a very interesting life before and after him.  Maybe this is her story?  Germaine was married to a man named Florentin, and was persued by another painter who killed himself when she rejected him.  Just a thought.

found that in the replies to the post on harlequin’s recent “whoopsie”, and figured i’d re-post it here just in case kathy didn’t catch it. ;)

captcha word: miss69? probably not the title of the book he’s looking for.

Phyllis says:

I thought of Crooked Hearts by Patricia Gaffney, but had to look it up –  the fake nun on the run is Grace and it’s published too late (orig 1994).

Alicia says:

As someone who was also named after a romance heroine—my mother doesn’t remember which one either—I wish you godspeed! This is going to make her year.

Diana says:

Here’s a link to a description of Erin Pizzey’s Kisses. But it has the character Germaine running TO spiritual life, not away from it. I can’t get a fix on the original pub date; it has been reprinted several times.

mirain says:

I have no clue but will post the description on GoodReads “What’s the Name of that Book?” page: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/244898-pre-1987-romance-about-nun-germaine-escaping-a-convent

I’m not sure you can access it without logging in, but Phillip, feel free to take the thread over.

annie says:

These places are supposed to be able to help folks find books:

It seems like the forum is where you’d be able to get help: http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=6

And this forum:

You’ll have to set up an account for them, but that’s pretty painless.  Will you post here if you find it?

Lisa Hendrix says:

BTW, Yarbro.

Oops all the way around, especially on misspelling CQY’s last name. Guess that’s a sign it’s been too long since I last read her books. Will make amends by carrying credit card to B&N.

JamiSings says:

These may or may not help, but I just asked the librarian where I work if there were any websites where you can search a book by plot keywords rather then title and author and he gave me the following -

I have no idea if that will help in finding this book or not, but it’s worth a shot.

Sarah Elle says:

There is an early Lisa Kleypas called “Forever My Love” with a heroine named Mira German. Never read it, so I can’t comment if the plot matches, but perhaps someone else can help out. It was published in late 1988 though.