Help A Bitch Out

HaBO: A Lost Bargain

Erin asks:

I was wondering if you and the Bitchery could help me remember a book I read, probably the mid-to-late 90s. I remember I bought it in one of those cheap-o romance novel sets you could get at Waldenbooks. Two or three bound together with cellophane for about $3. Anyway, this one in particular was so cool, but I got rid of it because my mother frowned upon romances. I remember it had a silvery glittery cover, with just the title—no people on the front. It was about a woman who for some reason was seeing a therapist, and she agreed to be hypnotized. She ended up going back to her past life while under hypnosis (I want to say her past self was living in the 1800s, maybe early 1900s), and was involved with a cult of some sort that worshipped some ancient Egyptian god. It ended up that the story went back and forth between her present and past self, and the villain (the head of the cult, I think) was able to follow her to the present. So she was in danger in both lives. The hero was there to help her fight the cult, and then somehow his present self found her present self and they lived happily ever after. I know it’s not much to go on, but I still think about that book today and would like to reread it. Or maybe the Bitchery would even have suggestions for similar books?

Hypnotic time travel? That’s a new one—almost as good as hypnotic breaking of the “Give a Shit,” a la Office Space.

Help a Bitch Out

Pamela says:

The only hypnotic time-travel I can name is Remembrance by Jude Deveraux. The heroine gets hypnotised to uncover her past life and is sent back to the 18th or 19th century from there she is hypnotised yet again and goes back to Elizabethan times. I don’t remember an Egyptian cult but maybe there’s more than one hypnotic time travel book floating about…the mind boggles.

Shelly says:

I’ve been lurking or a while but this post compelled me to comment. Oh my goodness. I think I’ve read this. Or I’ve seen it in an episode of Relic Hunter. I’m sorry I can’t help. But will sure as heck want to read it if someone else can name it.

Elke says:

The only similar book I can think of is Green Darkness, by Anya Seton.

Star Opal says:

Don’t know your book, but I can suggest a similar movie title: Dead Again.

Deb says:

Sorry, I don’t know that book, but I don’t think it’s Green Darkness which (if memory serves) is about reincarnation as opposed to time travel.

Oddly enough, I was at a Friends of the Library book sale yesterday and saw a hardback copy of Green Darkness.  It was very battered, the binding was shot, so I decided against buying it.  I know I’ve commented before that Anya Seton’s Katherine is one of my absolute favorite historical fiction/romance novels.

I don’t know if time-travel romances are as popular as they were about 15-20 years ago.  Jude Devereaux had another one I really liked about a nobleman who traveled forward in time to today and then the heroine went back with him.  Anyway, I hope someone can help out Erin’s request.

AM says:

“Hypnotic time travel? That’s a new one”  It’s not new!!  *grin*

If you’d like a see a movie sappier than VT in March, you need to watch this movie.  My MIL *loves* this movie.  I love to make fun of it.

********************Spoiler alert*****************************
    Everyone is dead by the end, a fact greatly appreciated by most of the audience except my MIL.

Jody W. says:

Helen Rosburg’s “The Circle of Promise” has some kind of hypnosis / time travel / past lives / modern day mingling going on but I don’t think it involves anything Egyptian. It’s Dorchester, I think.

JennyME says:

Sounds like it could be Wrapped in Wishes, by Olga Bicos.

beggar1015 says:

Someone with more technical intelligence than I have (which means everyone in the world) should create some kind of website where you can just type in these key words like “hypnosis” “time travel” “cult” “silver cover” etc. and it spits out suggestions for answers.

darlynne says:

Oooooh, Green Darkness. I loved that book and read everything of Ms. Seton’s I could find. Sadly, every hard cover copy at library sales is in terrible shape, but still worthwhile.

All of this made me think of Mary Luke’s Nonsuch Lure (see http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2435 for a synopsis). More hypnotic time travel in Virginia and Tudor England with monks, not ancient Egyptian gods. It’s out of print, although used copies are available on-line.

P. N. Elrod says:

Oh, now that’s funny about Somewhere in Time.

It’s a fav movie of a longtime friend/cover artist for some of my books.

He’s got quite a romantic streak, and it was always his favorite date movie.

The cool thing is he did go “back in time” when his high school sweetheart found him via the Internet some thirty years after graduation.

They fell in love all over again, got married, and honeymooned at a lovely Victorian B&B in New England. He was chuffed to bits because of the place’s striking similarity to the setting of that unabashedly romantic movie.  He even wore an old fashioned morning coat, cravat, and striped trousers, much to the delight of his bride.

So there ARE real life romances and HEAs out there!

Michelle says:

Hey, I really like Somewhere In Time, it is a very romantic movie.  It also has a lovely soundtrack.

Becca says:

“Hypnotic time travel? That’s a new one”  It’s not new!!  *grin*

The movie 1980 Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour is based on the concept.,

the play On A Clear Day (you can see forever) predates Somewhere In Time.

M E 2 says:

Ditto.  And may I also add that I am somewhat annoyed/dismayed that someone who reads romances would ridicule someone for liking something of this type.  You’re no better than the people who ridicule romance readers.  Unbelievable.

Spamalot word : back63……….‘nuff said

Mama Nice says:

I too love that movie, I don’t care who knows or who mocks me. I luuuuuurve it and I love the story someone just told about her buddy getting married to an old highschool sweetheart.

I wrote a paper on the movie in college for a film class (and got an A from that stodgy old Jesuit Priest professor who taught the class thankyouvermuch). I also performed a scene and a monolgue from the movie for an acting class – the monologue was the one she does on stage, when she stops performing the play and speaks to Richard out in the audience. I can’t remember the details of the scene I did – the guy I performed it with fought horribly and the claws would come out as soon as we got off the stage together.

Can’t help with this particular habo…but I must say that the book I’m working on for NaNoWriMo has some of these elements (minus hypnosis and Egyptian God cults) so be on the look out for it next year!

annalicious says:

I dont know the name of this book in particular, but I was a huge fan of Jude Deveraux’s Rememberance, which was the time travel with hypnosis.  She also did Knight in Shining Armour, which was my first Deveraux novel – which led to many others, including another book that was kind of a time-travel but not – the name of which is eluding me right now.

I remember reading a bookwhen I was a teenager called Lady of Hay, which I LOVED!  It was about a modern British woman (journalist perhaps?) who agrees to get hypnotized and realizes she is the reincarnation of a noblewoman, and that she, her lover and her enemy were playing the same game over and over and over again.  I should try and find that one again.

I have never seen Somewhere in Time however, because every time I look at Christopher Reeves all I see is Superman – I cant see him as that sort of romantical hero.  Superman has never been sexy to me – far too prigish – give me Batman any day.  Yummy!

Anne Fescharek says:

INFIDEL!!!  How dare you mock “Somewhere in Time”?!  That was the movie my husband (the most unromantic alpha who ever lived) woke me in the middle of the night to watch!

Erin says:

Wrapped in Wishes sounds close, but I don’t think that was it. Thank you all for trying to come up with it though!

Also, Somewhere in Time is one of my favorite books (and movies). You guys might want to check out the book as well as Jack Finney’s Time and Again. Matheson took the method of time travel in Somewhere in Time from Finney’s book. Can you tell I love time travel stories?

Patty H. says:

Just FYI, if you are a Somewhere In Time fan, you can come to the annual festival at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island in Michigan, which is where the movie was made.  People come in period dress, they play the movie.  You get to the island by ferry.  There are no cars allowed so everyone gets around by bike or horse which adds to the feeling that you’ve stepped back in time.  It really is lovely and romantic.

LizC says:

It didn’t sound like she was ridiculing her MIL or anyone for liking the movie. It sounded like she mocks the movie which she is allowed to do.

AM said I love to make fun of it. not “I love to make fun of my MIL for loving it.” There is a difference.

Carrie Lofty says:

I don’t know the book described, but it reminds me of my fave reincarnation romance, which is based modern-day (1995) and 19th century New Orleans: Remember My Heart by Janis Reams Hudson. (I loved it so much that I even created the Romance Wiki page for it.)

Sweet, sexy, believable, sinister, and lushly described New Orleans scenery. Why haven’t I reread this one recently? *eyes TBR pile* Oh, that’s why…

JennyME says:

I promise not to keep plugging this book…but I really do think you should check out a copy of Wrapped in Wishes. As I recall she realizes the past-life villain is her current life ex, and there’s a bunch of freaky Egypt stuff in there too with scary rituals, etc. The guy she gets involved with in the past life is some sort of Egyptologist ghostbuster. (There’s a business card I’d love to have for my collection.)

This website gives a slightly different description than what you find on amazon: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sooty/romance/bk.wrapped.html

I also adore Remember My Heart—I am a HUGE sucker for stories set in New Orleans.

Loveday says:

I love ‘Lady of Hay!’ It’s by Barbara Erskine. She also wrote another sort of hypnosis-time travel one called ‘Kingdom of Shadows.’  That one goes back to Scotland and Robert the Bruce. She wrote a sort of companion novel to that, called ‘Child of the Phoenix,’ but it’s set totally in the past. She’s written many other novels, but those three are her best, I think.

Erin says:

OK guys, I’m going to give Wrapped in Wishes a shot. I’ll let you know if it was what I was thinking of!

Francy says:

Barbara Erskine is the BEST. Lady of Hay was great and Kingdom of Shadows was maybe better. She also has a few short story collections – around some of these same themes.

AM says:

LizC – Thanks.  No, I don’t make fun of MIL for liking it.  I love all sorts of sappy material that other people make fun of.  This whole blog exists because someone is secure enough to at times mock a genre they clearly love.

And, as this thread attests, there are many lovers of Somewhere in Time. *grin* To each, her own.

People have mentioned Barbara Erskine as someone who tends to go back to the hypnosis/time travel theme a lot. I’ve read a few of her books, though not Whispers in the Sand, which involves ancient Egypt in some way.

Is this it?

(I also have to confess a deep and abiding love for Seton’s Green Darkness—I reread it for the first time in years about two weeks ago and it was just as wonderful as I remembered.)

Barbara Erskine’s Midnight is a Lonely Place is just brilliant.  Spooky romance/Roman haunting/author in peril.  Fantastic.  Almost as good is her House of Echoes, but I’m not such a fan of that one.  She’s written loads of books but, IMHO her later work is a bit ‘paid by the word’ for me.

I’m another Green Darkness fan too.

Spamword almost37 – I wish!

Selina says:

Wrapped in Wishes is ringing a bell for me too. I hope that’s it.

One place I hit up for my stumpers is a ring of sites broken down by genre. Then you can search within those categories by character type, names of H/H etc. It’s not a complete listing, but handy to check out.

The entry for Wrapped in Wishes is here: http://timetravelromancewriters.com/BookInfo.cfm?BookID=10361

Rene B says:

Are you sure it’s not Wrapped in Wishes? I dug my copy out, and sure enough it has a silver foil cover, and the heroine is seeing a hypnotherapist because she can’t sleep. She goes back in time to London, and then they both wind up in the present day, battling Egyptian cultists. It sure sounds like a ringer for your book.