Friday Videos Like Shagging

From Sarah C. – another reason why I wish I had more BBC programming and less… of everything else. No one shags a fine bird on American tv.

Friday Videos

misti says:

That was pretty great. If you feel inclined to learn more about the giant flightless bird, the kakapo and other animals that are rare in this day and age, go pick up Douglas Adams’ “Last Chance to See”. He worked with the man in this video for the kakapo chapter, and there is some really stirring prose and interesting thoughts about conservation.

This was delightful.  The bird certainly looked like he was enjoying himself.

KatherineB says:

My god, if I ever have to be shagged by a great rare bird, I hope Stephen Fry is there to add witticisms to elevate the moment!
    LOL

Laura (in PA) says:

LOL! That’s not something you see every day. The question is, why was that dude willing to put up with it so long? Talk about taking one for the team.

Alyssa F says:

You post the best links ever.

Kiersten says:

That is so funny! I adore Stephen Fry – he always has just the right words for the occasion. And despite his apparent lack of discrimination, that bird is adorable. I love the Victorian gentlemen metaphor.

Still, talk about taking one for the team!

Kayleigh says:

Rachel Maddow showed a clip of this on her show, complete with her giggling reactions, it was adorable.

MelB says:

This was fantastic. So hilarious and the perfect pick for a dreary Friday. I loved that Victorian gentleman metaphor, too.

StephS says:

This reminds me of the movie “The Truth About Cats & Dogs”.  Janeane Garofalo plays a veterinarian with a call-in radio show.  One of the callers has a question about sleeping with his cat or something like that and her response is (paraphrasing), “Now remember it’s OK to love your pet you just can’t looovvvveee your pet!”

Midknyt says:

Hey, it’s Gordon Gordon from Bones.  (Which I get the strange feeling I should have seen him elsewhere, but that’s who I know him as).  That was kind of funny.

I remember that scene in The Truth About Cats and Dogs – the caller has a rash on his face because he let the cat lick it, and when she says he’s allergic to the saliva he comments on how it’s never bothered him before, and then she asks how long the tongue bath lasted and he says a couple of hours.  I have a cat, and they’re tongue isn’t something I’d want on my face for more than a couple of seconds.  Ouch.

Krista says:

It doesn’t come as much of a surprise that bird is rare considering what it picks to mate with.

Hey, no suprises there. Being a New Zealand native bird, the kakapo is only mimicking you average Kiwi male.
    ;-)
    Kiwi bird

Star Opal says:

*snort* The commentary just takes it to the next level. “Look, he’s so happy!”

Midknyt> Along with Bones, I can think of Whose Line is it Anyway? (both sides of the pond), V for Vendetta, small parts in Godsford Park and A Bear Named Winnie, and loads of English television.

He narrates a lot too, so you might be recognizing his voice?

teshara says:

In all honesty, he did look happy. :D

And he had the brilliant luck of having Stephen Fry there to do the play-by-play.

This may be one of the greatest bits of film ever recorded.

Steven is delicious. I don’t care if he’s gay, I can still swoon.

Cara Davies says:

Oh, a friend sent this to me the other day! It perfectly fuses my unwholesome obsessions with birds, New Zealand, and the BBC, all in one hilarious package. I’m assuming this special is related to the fabulous book of the same name by the late, great Douglas Adams.

If you can’t get enough of kakapos humping innocent men’s heads, go to beautiful Wellington, NZ and check of the Te Papa museum’s fantastic video exhibit on the very topic.

Conversely, if you’re more interested in Stephen Fry and want to see him and Jude Law get it on in period costume, rent the film Wilde.

Jodie says:

Haha and Stephen Fry is just laughing until he after about 5 minutes he figures out that the bird is seriously scratching the guy, while he is like ‘oh no it’s fine, don’t worry about me’ like a proper English gent.

kinseyholley says:

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie had a sketch comedy show at the end of the 80s, and they worked together on Jeeves and Wooster (Hugh was Bertie, Stephen was Jeeves). They were hilarious together and if you’ve only ever seen Hugh Laurie on House, you’ll enjoy seeing him doing comedy, which is what he’s best known for in the UK, I think:

almost76: Oh God, no. But the hubby’s grandmother will be 99 tomorrow and that’s kind of cool.

Anida Adler says:

That is awesomely hysterical!  Yes, Hugh Laurie is certainly known best for his comedy on this side of the pond.  He also played with Rowan Atkinson in the Blackadder series, which is where I first saw him.

This is really awesome.There’s nothing wrong with a bird that can’t fly. After all, birds evolved from dinosaurs, most of which weren’t capable fliers either. And some birds evolved further to fit certain niches. For example, the kakapo, the flightless parrot of New Zealand, never needed to fly because it had no predators until colonists (and thus rats and cats and dogs) arrived. Flying takes a lot of energy, so if a bird doesn’t need to, then it will evolve to be more efficient and not waste its energy on the skill.