Everywhere you go, there’s a Kindle or an App

Book CoverIn other news of the digitally bookward today, Kindle has released a PC application that allows you to buy Kindle books without… actually owning a Kindle.

It’s currently available for that oh-so-smexxy Windows 7, and with the app installed you can read Kindle books, download anything you’ve already purchased from your Kindle leased-titles library, and add and synchonize notes to and from your Kindle app on iPhone and iTouch.

The new upgrade to Kindle for iPhone or Blackberry adds that notetaking and annotation functionality to the phone, so now whatever you’re reading is accessible with your notes and bookmarks on the Kindle, your iPhone or iTouch, or your Blackberry, and now on your PC.

When I asked the PR person who sent me the alert about the Kindle for PC application, I replied and asked, without whining, “What about Mac?”

And holy crap on a Kindle-shaped cracker, Amazon’s director of communication sent me the details: “Yup. Kindle app for Mac is on the way in the coming months.”

Ok, so here’s the TMI portion of our blog entry. It’s below the fold. (Snort).

I’m not kidding that this is TMI. Really.

No, really.

You sure?

Ok.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Here’s why I really like the Kindle App syncing between the Kindle device and the iPhone. If I read a book on the Kindle on my way to work, no big deal. But I can’t carry the Kindle into the ladies room with me. Or if I run out to the bank and wait in line. Yeah. That’s a good example. Or, um… I don’t have my purse with me but I do have my wallet and my phone. Yeah, that’s better.

Oh, hell, I’ll be honest. It’s a great feature. My books keep up with me. Love that. I can keep reading the book I’m immersed in while I drive to work, and then later, while I take a much needed break and go hide in the lounge or something with my phone, then when I pick up the Kindle it knows where I left off. I hardly ever read two books at once. My brain keeps mixing the characters so when I write the review Devil Cynster is trying to get in the pants of Minerva Dobbs. And, really, no one wants that.

So having three potential devices keep my place while I read, allowing my book to be accessible wherever I left off, with whatever notes I made, on whatever computer I’m on? That’s pretty nifty.

I would (ahem) like to outright OWN the books I buy, but we’ll quibble about that later. I have to excuse myself now. Be right back.

General Bitching...

Mhlia says:

Wait… can you go back and explain how you don’t actually buy the books that you purchase through Kindle???

I’ve been loving your reviews of readers and would love to purchase one when 1)I can afford it and 2)the set up/sharing/organizing, etc gets easier.  But if you are only “leasing” your books does that mean that they get to take them back from you at some time?  Major downside.  I’m a huge re-reader.  If I like a book I’ll keep it and reread it multiple times…  So confused!  Thanks.  :)

Adrienne says:

Hey, could you ask the friendly PR person if they’ll be releasing a desktop app for Linux? So far, Amazon has been better about including Linux than iTunes has, and I hope they’ll kep it up.

Ken Houghton says:

So a bunch of people have paid $200-300 for a Kindle, and now anyone with a crappy Windows system will also be able to have Amazon wipe their hard drive at a moment’s notice?

(Mhlia – Amazon deleted or de-accessed all of the previously-“sold” copies of 1984 from people’s Kindles when there was a copyright dispute. Apparently, Kindles are most useful when you never connect to the Internet with them.)

liz m says:

That’s referring mostly to tech hurdles. When you buy an ebook, you must buy it for a specific format and password. You can only use it on the device your bought it for, and if you buy it for the wrong device, no refunds. If you change devices and the new device doesn’t support the old format, so sad. If formats change in the future, will conversions of your library be possible? As it stands now, it doesn’t seem likely. Also, you cannot loan, trade, sell as used or give away your used e-book as you could a paper copy. The fine print usually says something about what your rights over the file are.

So in effect you are not buying the content, but buying the right to view the content in a specified manner on a specified system for an unknown period of time. There haven’t been any ‘take backs’ besides the Orwell thing. All of that said, now that I’ve gone e-book, i am never going back. I don’t even use my library card anymore, I use my siblings since he has access to e-books and I don’t.

Kristina says:

First, I have been very reluctant to get a Kindle.  All the cool people are doing it, though.  This looks like it may be a good way to get my feet wet.

Second, can I just say that it is wonderful to hear other people talk about the people I think about like they’re real.  I mean, the fact that you know about the people I know about is just wonderful.  Thank you for starting this site!

Wow, look something new. Goodthing to know about this, so we can not go any store seeking our loved books. Good to us in transfer smart, most of us are bookworm and with the help of this new technology we can able to keep in touch with you any where anytime.

I love the syncing feature of the Kindle App to Kindle device. I whip out my iPhone while waiting in line all the time. And yes, I’ve taken it to the restroom with me a few times too. ;)

I’m looking forward to the PC function too. I probably won’t use it but it’s interesting anyway. :)

Jean Lamb says:

This is why I have all my ebooks on a Palm—it reads Mobi, it reads PDF (though suckily), it reads Word docs, ereader of course—and it’s small enough to slip into my pocket, should I ever wish to sneak it into the ladies’ room at work and er, entertain myself while performing valuable biological functions. And nobody can take the books back. Plus, if the pdf format is at all done well, I can format them into Mobi pretty fast on my laptop and read them much more easily on the aforementioned Palm. I can easily dig it out of my purse when in a restaurant, doctor’s office, or theater before the commercials come on (backlit is your friend!). There are plenty of books formatted for Mobi (Mobi Dick has _got_ to be one of them! You know, a person could write a smutty novel about a computer programmer with that title…).

Ahem. I digress. Sure, the screen is smaller than a Kindle, but I can still format the print size and so I have to tap the page a little more often, I can do that. Palms rule!

Mhlia says:

@Jean Lamb… you just made my day!  I just got my Palm (okay like a month ago… but I’m techno-phone slow) and to know that there is a reader that I can install on there?  Woo-hoo!! I’d still like a reader, but I’m also in the camp of feeling like the price to issues with copyright, etc ratio needs to be worked out before I’ll purchase one.

Sarah, for the record of your work with e-readers… I also think there needs to be recognized that there are a lot of us (perhaps many people who read a lot fall into this group?) who are not new technology junkies.  Seriously, I’m always at least a couple of years behind the brand new technology – mostly because I don’t want to shell out (a lot of) $$ for something that I’m just going to have to replace in a year or two once the kinks are worked out.  And the more kinks (i.e. obstacles) that are put in the way the slower I am to adopt something.  I mean seriously… I just got my 1st “smart” phone (and I still don’t do much with it beside make phone calls, text, and play sudoku).

SB Sarah says:

Hi Mhlia: I agree -there are many readers who, as Malle Vallik says, want the geegaw to plug into the thingamajig and they want it to work so they can read. Full stop. Obstacles are a huge problem with digital reading so I’m trying to differentiate the readers so you know which ones are higher learning curve than others.

Me says:

Sarah what i dont get is why you wld bother with a kindle at all. Im an avid reader both digital and hardcopy (and lurk here all the time but this is my first comment :) ) and i have both ereader and the kindle app on my itouch. Both free apps too. I have about 150 books or so, mostly on ereader. Since i get it all on my one little device, why would i want to carry yet another gadget: phone, ipod, etc. My purse is way heavy already. I already nixed the kindle and even though i love the ereader app better am nixing the nook (and wtf on that name?) as well. Im introducing all my friends to ebooks, almost buy everything digital these days but im telling them all not to bother w the device. Oh yeah, and i take mine to the little girls room at work too. Hee.
    Power55: i love the power of carrying more than 55 books with me!

Karen says:

Oh, I can’t wait to seek how the Barnes & Noble Nook is going to do….I understand that you can loan books to friends, put in additional memory, link through WiFi to buy books anytime, read non-B&N books, share on iPhone/blackberry.  I just want other people to be the first to try!

Anyone hear anything else about the Nook?

KarenF says:

I haven’t tried the Nook, but I have to admit it looks really nice (at least the pictures on B&N.com look pretty snazzy).  I was expecting that it would be some big clunky thing, but it appears to be the same size as the Kindle.  And yeah, they promise that it will work the the iPhone & Blackberry, PC and MAC.

First pancake though—it may have all kinds of bugs that will become apparent later.

I have a friend who has pre-ordered his, so he’s the guinea pig.  I’ll find out from him if it’s really as nice as advertised.