Quartet Press is No More

According to several sources via email, Quartet Press has ceased operations and authors who were part of the debut launch have had their rights returned. I have no details as to why but this is massive stinky pile of crap for digital publishing, and for the individuals involved.

Update: the Quartet Press blog has been updated with an unbelievably treacly announcement: they are indeed done.

I am absolutely fucking stunned, and so sad about this, but most of all, I’m mother fucking pissed off. One of my biggest complaints about digital publishing and romance publishing on the internet is that people forget that this is a business. It’s a business, which means that while it’s art and stories and words and craft, it’s also people’s livelihoods. It’s bad fucking business to hire someone away and close up three weeks later. I’m so angry I can’t even speak.

S. W. Vaughn says:

As I just said over at DA…

Whoa.

Wha’ happened?!

SonomaLass says:

There’s a lot of anger over this, as well as a lot of disappointment. I will be interested to hear more.

azteclady says:

I am so very angry, and sad, on Ms James’ behalf.

Beyond that, I’ve spent twenty or so minutes sputtering curses.a

Mina Kelly says:

THat was… quick. And completely unexpected. Does anyone know why yet?

writer says:

Well I guess it was just a lot of big talk after all. I feel sorry for all those that left jobs to go to that press.

Oh god.  Poor Angela.  I’m stunned.

Jocelyn says:

That really, really stinks.  I hope Angela got a solid employment contract when she was hired and gets severance pay out of this mess.  Heaven knows, she worked long and hard to get that publisher up and running.

Eve Paludan says:

They were just hiring editors on August 27th!

I was beefing up my freelance resume. Oh well!

The poor authors. This is awful!

Nonny says:

I know some authors that had contracts and subsequently have had their rights returned. This all is very strange and sudden, since these people have seemed far more solid and with it than other new publishers that have cropped up over the last couple years. I wonder what made them decide this.

MaryK says:

to hire someone away and close up three weeks later

That was one of the first things I thought of.  I hope she comes out of this okay.

SarahT says:

When I first saw this mentioned on Twitter, my initial reaction was to assume it was yet another instance of Twitinformation.

The sudden nature of the decision is what I find most shocking, especially in the light of their widely-publicized hiring of Angela James. I don’t know Ms James from Adam but I feel terrible for her and for all the authors who contracted with Quartet Press.

My condolences to Angela in particular for having what seems like the rug being yanked out from under her feet, and to the authors who thought they had a new outlet for their books.

What a crazy world.

Jessica D says:

Ugh, shocking and sad. My condolences to all involved, esp. Angela and the authors.

katiebabs says:

Very shocking. Was there infighting among the owners or perhaps someone walked away because they didn’t like the way things were being done?

PK says:

What a horrible,horrible thing.  I’m so sorry for Angela James and pissed off on her behalf.

KCfla says:

WHAAAA????
    * stunned*

I don’t know whether to feel sorry for all those involved, or to be pissed off for them as you are SB Sarah. I only hope that all involved land on there feet.

I really thought that this company had a chance- especially hiring Angela James.

I’m annoyed that this again puts a dark cloud over e-publishing, especially since there was so much hype. And I have to say, looking at their site in the past few weeks I couldn’t understand why there was so much hype. It’s very sad.

CourtneyLee says:

I hope Samhain hasn’t replaced Angela yet. Maybe she can go back?

Reacher Fan says:

Well, that’s a huge disappointment.  Maybe they just couldn’t get the funding they needed, but you have to wonder what really happened to implode so quickly and unexpectedly.

This is so disappointing.  I pray all involved can land on their feet.

rae says:

I hope Samhain hasn’t replaced Angela yet. Maybe she can go back?

What? Are you insane?  She was doing all that stuff with KK for months – Rogue Digital conference anyone? It looks like she was working for QP at the same time as working for Samhain. Anyway Angela is the one who left for pastures new. You’d have to question her loyalty to the company if you ever took her back. How do you know she won’t take off again in six months?

Anyway you’re too late they already appointed someone.

I’m very sorry that this hasn’t worked out for those concerned but when you make a decision you have to live with the consequences. People chose to leave their safe jobs for a start up company. Now they have to deal with the fact they are out of work. C’est la Vie.

SB Sarah says:

It is my understanding that Angie’s position has been filled by two Samhain employees.

Rae, you are mistaken. The Digital Rogue Seminar was created by Angie, Jane, Kassia and me when there weren’t any digital publishing seminars on the RWA National conference schedule.

azteclady says:

re: rogue digital conference.

Are you trying to infer that everyone who participated in that was “working with QP” or are you only impugning Ms James’ ethics with that comment?

Ashley Ladd says:

I’m always sorry to hear when a publisher goes out of business, authors lose contracts, and people lose jobs.

I was told once by a recruiter never to go back to a former employer. I did and I was sorry. It was never the same. Looks like the point’s moot anyway.

Angela James seems like a really nice person.  This sucks.

kinseyholley says:

Angela James is awesome and I’m horrified that this happened to her. I had planned to submit my not-quite-finished WIP to Quartet only because she was there.

I’m flabbergasted that a group with the kind of resumes Don Linn et al have could do something like this.  I’m hoping that there is a reasonable explanation, one of those Acts of God things that happen once in a while, but I can’t imagine what it might be.

No, it doesn’t look good for epublishing.  But I’m more concerned on Angie’s behalf.

RKCharron says:

Hi :)
    My very first thought on hearing Quartet was done/closed was – What the Hell? What about Angela James? She left a great job with a company she helped build to its current level of excellence for them. I don’t know if she can go back, it would be tres awkward plus it hardly ever happens.
    I am wishing her well – and hope she gets the best severance package EVER.
    I am outraged for her.
    RKCharron

What RKCharron said.

I’m speechless. Stunned. Furious.

I was stunned to read this.  So much positive feeling seemed to be flowing around Quartet.  I hope we’ll get more information on this, because this kind of implosion hurts all of epublishing.