We Bring to a Close All the Fun That is Funny

BosomsWe probably don’t need to say this, but the formation of the Dear Author Literary Agency, the closing of Dear Author, and the injunctive suit against the Smart Bitches is all part of our April Foolery.  (although, seriously, we do not want the secrets of the ICH to get out. It would shake the foundation of romance should villians get ahold of the secret of impregnating barren women.  That plot line would be ruined forever and then what would happen to the baby epilogues?)

To make the Foolery seem more believable, we recruited several people into our scheme and we want to provide public thanks.

To Ron Hogan at beatrice.com and GalleyCat for writing up a piece entitled “True Love Takes a Detour to the Courtroom.”  The comment to that entry was fucking priceless.

To Malle Vallik, Digital Director at Harlequin for buying the novellas of Ann Aguirre and Gyna Colewater. Weredeer and the Millionaire Muffin Man are stories that can’t be missed.

To Jill Myles for writing the mock PM blurbs for the above mentioned books. (If you haven’t read them, you must. They are hilarious).

To Ann Aguirre for pretending to leave her awesome agent, Laura Bradford, and signing with DA Lit Agency.

To Laura Bradford for allowing us to “steal” away her client. As if that could ever happen in real life.  Truly, all of Bradford’s clients adore her. (Jane plan to stalk her at RWA to learn her secrets in case she does open up a lit agency).

To Gena Showalter and Kresley Cole for allowing Jane to borrow their nom de plume: Gyna Colewater.  If Gyna ever writes something, Malle will buy it.

To the legal and communications departments at Simon & Schuster and Touchstone/Fireside for being good sports about the lawsuit. I’m sure the entire time they were thinking, “WTF?” Good thing we didn’t argue that their entire publishing house should be possessed by Lord Mantitte.

To Maili who created the awesome cover art for Jane’s self published book, “The Buckillioniare’s Virgin Lawyer”. If you haven’t clicked on the cover to see the larger version, you are missing some pricless details.  “It would take a light year (or two) to find…”

To Robin for signing up for Twitter JUST for trash talking, and to Dr. Sarah for playing along and defecting to the Bitch side when Jane got too mean.

To all the people who thoughtfully and kindly emailed and replied to my faux-anxious Tweets last night. I felt hideously guilty for leading you on. Of course, people who KNEW about the joke emailed me and said, “OMG you ok?!”

To Candy for finding the most excellent heroic representations, particularly Vlad McCulloch. Rwor.

To Jane for not only writing the original letter outlining the ICH’s case against us, but for taking a silly idea and running with it, to the point where her site made me hurt myself laughing. I’m so glad we’re not actually enemies.

And to Esosoft who helped out with our online shenanigans. Both of us host our sites with Esosoft and honestly, there are few web hosts out there that are as responsive and as friendly. Esosoft: the True Heroes of the Internet

And, of course, to the Bitchery and the DA community (you do need a name) for being good sports. See ya next year. Happy April Fools.

General Bitching...

ev says:

All of whom had waaaay too much time on their hands today (and how ever long it took to put this all together)!

Thanks guys!!1

Sarah Frantz says:

You’re more than welcome. I had a blast!

I think Janine had the best response, though, about changing Jane’s posts at DA. As if any of us dared! ;)

Suze says:

A name would be good.  I vote for Dear Author Notable Audience Group, or DA NAGs for short.

(I was trying for DA HAGs, but couldn’t make it work.  DA BAGs would also be good.  Benevolent Auditory Gang?  Beautiful Angelic Ganglia?  Okay, I’ll stop now.)

Victoria Dahl says:

You. Still. Suck.  *pouting*

Jessa Slade says:

ICH is the best. Now when people ask “Where do you get your ideas?” there’s a place to send them.

wendy says:

I spent far too much time following all the links in this saga but it wasn’t until Vladdy spoke that I had to leave the computer to wipe the tears from my face.
    Thanks

P.S. Suze, you know the H can never be wrong! What about DA BHAGS?

Suze says:

Dear Author Bloggiful Hordes of Authorial Groupies?

mean84!  That many meanies out there?  Wowzers.

she reads says:

I’m still sorting through it all, and wiping away the laughter tears…

theo says:

Thank you for the best April Fool’s day I’ve had in I can’t remember how long. You are all so full of awesome!! (and yes, in this case, the exclamation points are necessary)

word veryfy:  recently33 – sadly, not for a long time…

Marsha says:

How on earth did you pull it off with so many people involved?  I can’t carry off a scam when it’s only me and my five year old.

For years I’ve pooh-pooh’d every conspiracy theory going on the grounds that there’s no way such a large group of people could do whatever nefarious thing was supposed to have been done, that surely there’d be a weak link somewhere in the chain that would blow the whole thing up.

Hm.  Looks like I have to reconsider my anti-conspiracy argument.

Fun one!  Thanks for all for the giggles.

I have no idea how long you all spent working on this, but the results were awe inspiring. From the book covers to the letters to the blurbs…hilarious!
    *clapping for you*

SonomaLass says:

I am SO sad that I didn’t get in on this until the tail end.  I’m loving it all in retrospect, but I would have loved getting it a piece at a time.  Curse my schedule, that today of all days I didn’t have time for blog-reading until after dinner.

Definitely well played, everyone!

Elizabeth Wadsworth says:

Great prank!  The first post actually had me fooled until I started reading the commentary section.  FWIW, Neil Gaiman’s blog links to some great spoof articles too.  The funniest is:

Ms Manna says:

Damn!  I really should’ve thought to come and check SBTB on the 1st.  If anyone was going to come up with something awesome, it would be you guys.