Suvudu Makes Us Happy in our Pants

Be still our little ebook-lovin’ hearts. The Suvudu free library from Random House offers the first book of several popular series for free, baby, free! Titles include Blood Engines from T.A. Pratt, His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik,  Settling Accounts: Return Engagements by Harry Turtledove,  Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, and Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Coming soon: Terry Brooks’s Magic Kingdom for Sale—Sold! and Elizabeth Moon’s Trading in Danger. I am all over that Novik freebie like static-prone socks on hot flannel sheets. SonomaLass says, “I personally can rave about the Robin Hobb and the Naomi Novik series, both are among my favorite fantasy series.  I’m excited about the T.A. Pratt title, because his series has been on my “to try” list for a while now. ”

We stop now for some Woe: currently only PDFs are available, though folks commenting are asking for Mobipocket or MSReader since PDF is rather unfriendly to many PDAs and readers, particularly in the formatting department. I can understand the frustration. PDFs often render terribly on ebook readers, and while free is awesome, it’s also a benefit to battery life to have a product that does not require extra page turns to move past several blank pages in a row.

[Thanks to SonomaLass for the link.]

General Bitching...

Sandia says:

Thank you for the links!  I’ve got the TA Pratt on my Kindle to sample for the longest time!! That and Her Majesty’s Dragon!  woo-hoo!!!

All of these titles are apparently also available in the Kindle store for the low, low price of $0.00—so if your e-reader happens to be a Kindle, do take advantage.

(At least, the three I checked were—I hope the rest are available, too!)

I’ve read the Kim Stanley Robinson before, and it is AWESOME.  It is also hard science fiction—so if you don’t like sci-fi where there’s a lot of sci in your fi, it probably won’t be your cup of tea.

Cassie says:

I was all over the Robin Hobb! I gave my copy of Assassin’s Apprentice to my younger brother years and years ago, and in the last two years I kept thinking I should buy another copy, but always forgot when I was actually at a bookstore. Now I have it again!

Jessica G. says:

FYI they are also available on Sony’s site, if you want the LRX format.

KCfla says:

Another FYI- for those with Stanza & IPhone/Touch
    Just add the URL into your online catalog and download!
    Free books FTW!!!!

SusannaG says:

I’ve read both Red Mars and His Majesty’s Dragon before, and loved both of them.  Well, with the proviso about hard SF on the Red Mars – but it is a great read if you like science in your SF.  I’d recommend both of them.

ocelott says:

The Sony store has these titles available for free, as well.  Everyone join me in the happy dance!

Marguerite says:

Baen has run a free online library for years now.

Caitlin says:

You can covert PDF files to mobipocket.  Save the PDF file to your computer, either desktop or wherever you save ebooks to, and then right click the link, go to open with and select reader.  It takes a few minutes to convert, but it’s worth it in the end.

Stelly says:

This is awesome!  Thanks!  8D

Gail Dayton says:

They always do this to me. Give away free books I’ve already read. Bundle 2-fer books with books I just bought. Course, I haven’t read Red Mars yet. Or the Turtledove. I’ve liked some other Turtledoves… I didn’t care much for the Hobb. It was kinda depressing, IMO.

Do have me the newest Novik waiting for me to read, but I have a whole bunch already on my list to read! ACK! (Not to mention the book I have to finish revising, and the one I have to write, and I’m only at p. 38…)

Not that I really need MORE books on my TBR stack…

SonomaLass says:

I’m glad to know that these books are available elsewhere in other formats.  Since I’m still a PDF-on-laptop e-reader, I forget to check that when I find freeeebooks.

I love the idea of making the first book of an established series available free, so new readers can check it out.  Baen’s been doing it for years, of course, but it’s nice to see the idea catching on with other publishers in the SF/F genre.  I just hope they make sure that if they are hooking people with e-books, they have the rest of the series available in e-formats as well!  I know that isn’t always the case, and I have heard a lot of complaints about that.

Spent a while last night re-reading His Majesty’s Dragon, since I glommed the most recent book as soon as it was released and have a long wait for the next one in that series.

Happy in your pants, huh? Er…no further details needed, there, SB Sarah. Heh.

Tina M. says:

I am getting so many free and cheap books now that I have the Kindle….it’s crazy.  My TBR pile is piling up and I love it.  I’ve been making sure to check Amazon’s various genres for low prices and had already downloaded a couple of these yesterday.  This has to be one of the best gifts my hubby has given me.

Kalen Hughes says:

Still full price on Fictionwise. *grumble*

DS says:

If you want to check on Amazon for recent free or low cost books, go to the Kindle Books section.  Enter in the search box -domain and choose sort from low to high price.

The -domain is to weed out the huge load of public domain books that appeared on Amazon a while back.  This should take you to available free or very low price offers.  I bookmarked the first page for easy return.

rayvyn2k says:

Loved, loved, loved both the Novik and the Hobb series. Wasn’t crazy about the Brooks.

Free books are awesome.

Camille says:

Thanks for the post SB Sarah.  We are happy that you are happy! We just added links to other formats.  ENJOY!