Smart Bitches in Romantic Times

If you received your issue of Romantic Times magazine, you may have noticed Smart Bitches were inside. We’re in ur magazine, talkin’ ‘bout Pirates!

It’s true: Elissa Petruzzi did a marvelously fun interview with us, and we’re in the “RT Bookshelf” section of the April 2009 issue. We talk about sexuality, pirates, the economy, our book, our site, and pirates. I thought it turned out terribly well, and as usual Candy cracked my ass up.

Romantic Times generously gave us permission to host a PDF of the interview over here at Bitchery HQ, so if you’d like to read it, here you go: Smart Bitches in Romantic Times.

Thank you to Romantic Times Magazine, to Secret Agent Dan Lazar who crafted the PDF (he’s very crafty – trust us on this one) and to Elissa for a holy-damn-fun interview.

Michelle says:

Yarrrrrr!  Very fun!

Great interview!  Thanks to RT for letting you share it in PDF.  I’ve already alerted my local independent bookstore to order Beyond Heaving Bosoms and I can hardly wait until I get my copy.

And let’s hear it for the pirates!  Aaarrrr!

Collette says:

What a great interview!  Nice of them to share it.  Less than a month now!

RfP says:

Thanks for sharing the PDF.  Pardon me if I poke at one of your answers to see what you think:

The most common image of fatherhood in romance are those who have fatherhood thrust upon them suddenly with a secret baby … a discredit to men who demonstrate a more contemporary definition of masculinity

That’s certainly true, but isn’t it also the hero-centric read on those scenarios?  Perhaps all the secret babies would look different under Laura Kinsale’s theory that the hero represents the female reader.  In that case, perhaps the struggle to come to grips with parenthood often represents something that modern women feel, in attempting to reconcile being an autonomous single versus “setting down”, and in sorting through societal expectations around how women’s lives change through motherhood.

Teresa says:

This is off the topic, but I just have to comment on Rfp’s post. As I’m reading, I’m thinking this is one of the reasons I come to Smart Bitches—because I love hearing people talk about the romance genre intelligently and at a depth that goes beyond, aren’t those covers hunky! (Not that I don’t like a good hunky cover drool as well because, trust me, I do).

I took a road trip this weekend with a good friend who is an avid romance reader. I had the latest Dear Bitches podcast on my iPod and I was excited for her to hear it. She listened attentively. When it was over I said—isn’t it great to hear people really get in there and address these topics at this level?

Her comment, sure, if you want to think about all that. Personally, I just read books that I enjoy. I don’t know why I enjoy them or why one book appeals to me more than the next one. I couldn’t begin to tell you—I just know what I like.

Lori says:

@Teresa: I’ve recently been having this discussion on another blog.  Part of me understands what people like your friend are saying.  The bigger part just boggles at the implication that thinking about a book or the genre as a whole reduces the enjoyment.  For me, analyzing is part of the fun.

That’s why I like it here and the interview was a good representation of that.  Many thanks to the folks at RT for allowing it to be posted for us to read.

Buckling their swashes… ???? LOL

Kaetrin says:

Sarah/Candy – will your book be available as an ebook?  If so, from where and in what formats?
    thx

Erica says:

Congrats on all of the great press!!!  I can’t wait to read the book.

Leeann Burke says:

Fabulous interview ladies. I’ll be picking up a copy of your book when I head to the US next week.

Nancy says:

I saw that and did a mini squee dance! Muchly awesome interview.

AlexG says: