Not really a short story, dammit

Back in late February, I announced that St. Martin’s was giving away a short story by Lora Leigh to promote her upcoming release Maverick.

I downloaded the story and read it last night. Ok: this was not a short story. This was a teaser. Carely an appetizer. Not even a hors d’eouvre. I’d call it a prologue. And because I’m not familiar with the world in which the Elite Ops stories take place, I’m not sure if this was a big reveal that two characters (Night Hawk and Black Jack) are interacting. Yes, there’s the standard mention of the hero being aware of his cock (this does not erotica make) and yes, the heroine’s noticing that yet again her crotch is a-wettin’ (this does not erotica make, either), but there wasn’t a conclusion. There was a fade-to-black un-finished tease.

New rule: free ebooks may not be marketed as “short stories” if they are not in fact stories and are instead a cock tease that makes me, the curious reader, confused, frustrated, and suffering from the mental equivalent of blue balls. That is all.

General Bitching...

Crystal says:

I just snorted water out of my nose.  Thanks so much for this!  You crack me up!

That is an extremely unique way of putting it but oh so accurate!! Amen to that!!

closetcrafter says:

Too true, I got all worked up over nothing and then especially because its out of order with the other Elite Ops books. Then I couldn’t find a publicartion schedule. Finally , my copy of Maverick arrives yesterday, I actually just finished it and the timing of the hors d’oeuvre still makes no sense.  Can someone plaes go to Lora Leigh Reader Appreciation weekend dealio and ask her for a publication schedule? It’s one small thing.

I couldn’t agree more! Very well put!

JoanneL says:

Absolutely. I wondered why they put it out there as a short story. It was a very good example of her writing and characters re her new Ops series but it was more of a ‘teaser’ then a story. Lora Leigh is very generous with previews and 1st chapters for her fans to read on her site so I have a feeling this was the publishers’ (stupid)  idea.

I also wondered why my head hurt afterwards but that must have been the blue-balls migrain coming on.

Madd says:

blue-balls migrain

I didn’t know this was possible. This must be the real reason I get migraines during the monthly.

I was also let down by the “short story”. It was more like a lengthy excerpt for Travis “Black Jack” Caine’s book, which I’m hoping is at least next or I’ll be really confused. Having it come out along at the same time as Micah’s was disorienting enough.

Babs says:

I read it and had to go “huh.” Just had to re-read it because my copy of Maverick arrived and I’ve dug into that. The teaser just sets up Ops finding out Risa is being targeted by Orion…lame.

vanessa jaye says:

I had the same response. It was an excerpt/teaser that I could have read on LL’s site, not a complete short story.