Words Every Reader Loves to Hear: Sixteen Free Books!

imageAs part of Harlequin’s 60th Anniversary, they have a rather auspicious and frankly asskicking plan: to give a free e-book to every woman in America and Canada as part of their celebration.

All formats are included, including PDF, and each and every one is DRM free. The books will be available for the Stanza program on the iPhone, and you can go to the eHarlequin site for all the details and info on how to pick up your free books. Plus, and this makes me really freaking giddy, these books will be free at all e-retailers, including Amazon and Sony. The books are all from 2007 and 2008, and there’s one book from every Harlequin line, from Blaze to Steeple Hill to Kimani, NASCAR, and Presents.

Plus, there’s a new Harlequin app called Harlequin Insider, which is a desktop widget that alerts you to new content on the eHarlequin site. Which, obviously, is daily.

I may have to go lie down a moment because this is so full of awesome and win, I may cease breathing normally and squee without control. It is just breathtaking when a publisher runs and jumps and lands solidly on technology that reinvents themselves, their genre, and their ability to reach new readers, and I am so impressed, I can’t even tell you. Way to go Harlequin. Happy Birthday and big ups to you.

Wanna see all the books that will be free? Check it out below the fold.

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover Book Cover

General Bitching...

ms bookjunkie says:

It’s not showing up on eHarlequin yet.

And, like, yay! for you guys in the US and Canada, but what about the rest of us? There’s a big world out beyond North America and we like to read too!

Danielle says:

That is pretty cool! And a good way to hook in more readers (or existing readers to their authors). Unfortunately for me though I live in Australia. No books for me. :(

bookgal says:

I’ve gotten free e-harl ebooks before and I’m in Australia…not sure if they let you buy
    them but I could download the freebies from a promotion awhile back so hopefully
    this will be the same!

Bookjunkie, they’ve set up a special 60th birthday website and the books will be available from there.

I can’t see them yet, but I’m fairly sure the site is supposed to become fully functional sometime today (29 January 2009).

My experience is the same as Bookgal’s: I’ve got free eHarlequin books too, in past promotions, and I’m in the UK. Harlequin doesn’t have a problem with separate rights for different geographical areas, because (as far as I know) they own world rights to all the books they publish. So I’m hoping that this promotion won’t be limited to US and Canadian readers.

Stelly says:

I live in the Netherlands and was able to download all sixteen.  I am so happy in my pants right now!  I can’t wait to find the time to read all these.  :)

KCfla says:

I don’t see them on my Stanza yet- but thanks for the heads-up Sarah!

ev says:

So far the only way I can see to download them is directly to the computer. Is there a link so I can dl them to my ereader? Or am I, in my usual technologically challanged way, missing something? I would love to carry them with me on my cross country road trip.

Jessica G. says:

I was going to go on eHarlequin’s website, but I’ll wait til Sony puts them up since I prefer the LRF format over PDF.

Weeeee! Thanks Harlequin!

ev says:

That’s what I am doing too Jessica, once I realized that somewhere in that blog it said Sony was going to offer them. duh.I will blame it on the extreme cold for freezing my brain cells.

Gemma says:

Wow, thanks for this heads up. What a great marketing tool ebooks can be.

I had no idea that Harlequin did Historical Inspirational romance! I think I am going to have to add this in a special section on my Harlequin Historical website. Goodness me. Does Harlequin have other sneaky Historical books that I don’t know anything about?! Fictiondb lists 34 books in this series (including some yet-to-be-published)! WTF? How did I not know about this. Etc.

Gemma, Dear Author recently reviewed a historical in the Blaze line. On the thread there, Jia said that

I think Harlequin is still testing out the idea of historicals in the Blaze line. As far as I know, this is only the second Blaze Historical to be released. The first was Bound to Please by Hope Tarr, which was released last year. I’m sure if there’s a positive response, they’ll publish more though.

Gemma says:

Ooo, thanks Laura. I will scoop them up too. I have tentatively decided not to include the MIRA historicals since MIRA is self-described as women’s fiction rather than romance. Since I’ve not read any MIRAs I don’t know how reasonable a description that is.

You know what’s a little bit silly? I skimmed through the recent review of one of these Historical Inspirationals on Dear Author, thought it sounded good and have put it in my Fictionwise basket to buy next time I’m making a purchase. In all of that I never noticed that it was published by Harlequin! :D

Silver James says:

Heh, SB Sarah, I was just getting ready to email the link to you to say it was up and live, but I should have known the Bitches would be all over it! :)

Kwana says:

I got an alert on this last night. I thought it was awesome. Something for free in this economy? Terrific! Hit me with a Blaze please.

Leslie Kelly says:

Hit me with a Blaze please

You got it Kwana—hope you enjoy it!

As for the Blaze Historicals, there are definitely more on the way. Aside from Jade Lee and Hope Tarr, Patricia Potter is doing some historical westerns, Merline Lovelace is doing some set in the Crusades. Betina Krahn is doing Victorian, and Joanne Rock is doing Viking.

Cat says:

Going by the cover of that ‘Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch’ one, Sylar’s a cowboy now?

(One below that, the Baby Bonanza one, his expression says “What’s that? You want me to do what, God? Why yes, yes I will!”. And off he goes to find a spork and a naked mole rat.)

Samantha says:

This is truly a happy day! I don’t have an ebook reader, but for free I will read on my PC!

Malle says:

Hey all,

I believe the link should be working. The books are in all formats and will be at all the eRetailers now or very soon. Yes, people from outside NA can download.

Please feel free to share with your friends and family!
    Malle (Harlequin Digital)

Jessica G. says:

@Malle-
    YOU GUYS ROCK! You guys seem to be one of the few publishers who get this ebook stuff. I hope I can find some new favorite authors in this promo.

The only thing I can say is more bundles please :) I’d love to see these Historical Blazes in a bundle. I’d be on that like butter on toast!

Malle says:

Historical Blaze bundle is duly noted and sent to the person who creates our bundles—okay she sits across the glass partition from me.

Jessica G. says:

@Malle, I could totally kiss you. :D

How about that customer service? Heh, I could send you guys some girl scout cookies as bribery, but I think I’ll be done with them before I even got to the post office.

Jaci Burton says:

This is rockin awesome! Can’t wait to download to my iPhone.

big romantic kisses to Harlequin! ;-)

elianara says:

*doing the happy dance*

This ROCKS! Thank you, thank you!

Big hugs to Harlequin!

aurianrose says:

Are they up on Amazon yet?  I’ve been checking and I haven’t been able to find them…  :o(

I’m so excited!

Anony Miss says:

BAD SB’s! BAD Harlequinn! I just sat here at my computer for two and a half hours reading a book digital cover to digital cover, when I should have been cleaning my house, washing dishes, cooking, sleeping… ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!

and

THANK YOU!

BTW, I am also outside of US/Can and had no problem downloading them.

PS – ARGH! Happy ARGH!

Amy Wilkins says:

Indeed, Historical Blaze bundle duly noted, said the person who makes the bundles (um, please don’t deluge me with requests now please :) ). Of course, gotta wait until a couple more titles get released first. Thanks for the list @Leslie Kelly, you’ve certainly got the scoop!

And I know some other “sneaky” Historicals from Harlequin—try Spice Briefs and Spice for some erotic historicals (by Charlotte Featherstone and Alice Gaines, off the top of my head). And Blaze has a trilogy of time-travel books (going back to the Old West) called “stolen from time” that starts in March with Once an Outlaw by Debbi Rawlins.

Cate Rowan says:

@Malle, what happened to the .mobi format? It was available for all the books this morning, but now it’s not. :-( Temporary glitch or permanent change?

Excellent book offerings, though!

Malle says:

@aurianrose

We expect them to be up on Amazon in a few days – keep looking and I’ll come back when I know they are there!

Malle says:

@Cate Rowan
    Temporary glitch! As you can imagine 16 books, 5 eBook formats plus ePub plus PDF, plus Stanza and new web pages and delivery to all retailers means a few hiccups. The books will be available throughout 2009 so don’t worry if you don’t get them today. Expect next week to be more *perfect*

Malle says:

@Anony Miss
    Your delight is our delight—and any excuse not to do housework! While I am happy so many of you are reading the books on your computer screens you must find a friend who has a reading device and see how much better the eInk technology really is. I read almost exclusively on my Sony Reader (no Amazon in Canada yet—maybe at their press conference in 2 weeks?) and it is better than paper. Sacrilegious but true!