Books On Sale

Free eBook: Darkness and the Devil Behind Me

Book CoverAuthor Persia Walker is giving away the ebook of her new release, which is set against the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s.

Darkness and the Devil Behind Me is, according to the author’s site, a story about a disappearance, an unsolved crime, and things that some folks would prefer to keep secret:

The devil claimed Esther Todd. Or so they say. In December 1923, she was a lovely young pianist, a rising star. By January of ‘24, she was on the most wanted list. She’d vanished along the snowy streets of a storm-swept night in Harlem and thieves had hit the home of her society patron, pulling off a million-dollar heist. Were the disappearance and robbery coincidence or conspiracy? Somebody knew, but nobody was talking. Three years later, the puzzles remained unsolved.

I asked the author if the book was a romance, or romantic suspense, and this is her response:

The reporter, Lanie Price, is a widow who still grieves after her husband, three years after his death. He was the love of her life. Soon after his death, her mother died too. The two events, coming so close together, left her drained. She changed her job—moving from being a crime reporter to a society one. In her new/current job, she’s caught the attention of her boss, editor Sam Delaney. Lanie is reluctant to give in to the burgeoning attraction between the two. But Sam is patient and begins to draw her out.

A relationship with Lanie is not so easy, however. When her investigation begins to ruffle some powerful feathers, Sam is faced with two choices: protect her or protect the newspaper. He opts for a third: find a way to protect them both.

If you’re looking for an utterly different setting for a novel, one that looks to be romantic suspense, free is a hard price to beat. Well played, Ms. Walker.

General Bitching...

SonomaLass says:

This looks really interesting.  And of course I LOVE freeebooks!  Thanks to Ms. Walker and to you, SB Sarah!

Elizabeth Wadsworth says:

Yeah, this sounds like something I definitely want to read—except I don’t do ebooks.  I’ll have to look for a hard copy.

ev says:

I downloaded it for my ereader. I am trying to get the hang of doing pdf files like this. But I am getting there and trying to get all my reading material together for our upcoming trips.

Thanks and keep them coming!!

Free books and an entirely new author to check out FTW! Thanks for giving us all the heads up.

megalith says:

The plot synopsis sounds interesting, but Lanie Delaney? Ouch. I’d keep my maiden name.

Valentina says:

And of course I LOVE freeebooks!

Who don’t ?!? :p Thanks!

Miranda says:

I read the book some time ago. It was ok, I’ll give it a B- rating. The plot was interesting, but I didn’t really get any sense of time or place. If I’m reading a historical, I want to feel like I’m in that time. Except for a lack of technology, the book could have been modern-day.

Keyonda says:

Sure wouldn’t mind a free book.
    Sounds very interesting=)

Persia says:

Hello Everyone,

First I’d like to thank you all for your enthusiasm. I admittedly wrote DARKNESS AND THE DEVIL BEHIND ME for the mystery-reading community. A fan who read it and who also loves this blog suggested I bring my book to your attention. It’s been wonderful to receive such a warm reception.

Miranda, thank you in particular for your comments. Obviously, a number of readers and book club members have felt otherwise, but it’s important to hear from those who feel as you do.

Might I suggest my other book, HARLEM REDUX? It’s a book club award winner, has a tragic love story as part of its central plot line, and definitely provides a great sense of atmosphere.

You’re all welcome to contact me directly, with questions, comments, etc.

Thanks again, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Persia Walker