Clear Off Your Calendars for One More Convention

A few folks have emailed me news that Ellora’s Cave, Cerridwen, and Lotus Circle are planning to host a convention for authors and readers in Akron, Ohio, sometime in fall 2009. The tentative schedule seems to include an awards banquet, workshops, book fairs, and author-sponsored (read: paid for) events. No word yet on costs for the convention; as one message that was forwarded to me read, “Once EC has an idea of the number of interested people (authors, readers, book stores, models), and they decide on the hotel, food, etc., they’ll be able to determine the cost.”

Is this the first publisher-hosted convention? I know publishers host dinners, parties, even spa trips at other conventions, from RWA’s National to RT, but is this the first publisher-exclusive con for readers and authors?

The Link-O-Lator

DS says:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the sf convention paradigm does not work for romance.

Akron—eh—sorry, Akronites but it always reminds me of the National Lampoon Yearbook town of Dacron, Ohio.

I think it sounds fun, and I’m really hoping to go.

Karen Junker says:

Yeah, DS, I hear you!  Writer’s Weekend (though admittedly a multi-genre conference) was put on mostly by my husband and me.  We had a couple of devoted volunteers who helped at the actual event, but…unless you have the kind of money that RWA or EC has behind you, it’s hard to make it happen.

We’ve scaled down to small writing retreats on the Washington coast.  We just take up a collection to help pay for the speaker’s travel and accomodation.  This year we’re having SF author Jay Lake and Spencer Ellsworth of the Lori Perkins agency.

Judith Loue says:

AHEM there

i was born and raised in Akron Ohio…sure i left as soon as i could…but don’t be so judgemental…okay…why any convention in Akron??..so i haven’t been back since i was 18 (i’m now 57!!!)  OMG this is so strange…Romance and Akron….

Judith Loue says:

AHEM there

Judith Loue says:

AHEM there

Silver James says:

Since Akron is the “home office” and the employees presumably all live there, it makes sense from a logistical standpoint. But…uhm…yeah. Akron.

Then again, there was a time when people didn’t understand why anyone would want to come to a convention in Oklahoma City and now there’s a waiting list for dates. Maybe Akron is an uncut gem?

Peggy Pennell says:

OK, I’m currently writing to you from Akron – where I live and work. I know it ain’t NYC or LA but we do host lots of conventions and events here. The World Series of Golf is big, the football Hall of Fame thing is just down the road – we’ve got all the big chain hotels and restaurants and a great regional airport. Hey, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders opened a restaurant here last year!

And Akron is lovely in the late spring and early fall…it does kinda suck here in the winter and gets hot & humid in July and August but really, other than San Diego, who’s got great weather year ‘round?

Hey, I’d of sworn Pittsburgh wouldn’t have attracted too many people to a convention and believe me – Akron looks just like it, kinda old and rusty in places.

I kinda want to go. Mainly because it’s close to my co-author, and I know I can drive to Toledo and then to Akron, but that she’d never make it to Memphis.

I’ve driven through Akron a few times in a rig (and Peggy, don’t get me started on Fuckinpittsburgh) but never gotten off the interstate. Looks like most Rustbelt cities, though.

Maybe, I’ll even have a novel out by then! (Lord knows its only gotten lost in editing twice)
    Already have a short story (with pumpkin molesting cover) and a novella out, and another novella in second-stage edits.

Nicole says:

But after the whole RT/EC Cavemen thing (or whatever con it was), would anyone want to actually go?

Jane says:

Maybe that’s the point.  If you go to an EC conference, you are bound to see alot of naked man titty so you can’t complain about the overt sexualization, right?

Stephanie says:

HEY! Why are they having a conference there AFTER I LEAVE THE AREA?!?!?

Of course, I’ll hopefully be closer to other conferences after moving . . .

Can’t they move it up to May or something?!

And by the way, Northeast Ohio isn’t as bad as you think. Our orchestra (Cleveland, at least) is better than your orchestra. I don’t care where you live; it’s true. The New York Times music reviewer even said so.