Crispy!

While doing some ad design, the cover for Kalen Hughes’ upcoming Georgian romance, Lord Scandal caught my eye. Why?  Take a look.

Ladies and gentlemen, that is chest hair. On a romance cover?! Holy cow! I’m, like, transfixed by the crisp hair, or whatever else it’s called in your Standard Historical Love Scene. WOW. After so many years of waxed chests, it takes a bit of natural hair to bring me to a complete stop. Ha!

Kimberly Anne says:

I could have sworn the tag said, “The man she had to shave…”

*snerk*

Much too early to be reading anything, apparently.

Chanel19 says:

Even got hair going down the treasure trail…

RevMelinda says:

I am so glad someone else has noticed the rampant crispiness out there in love-scene-land.  Not only is hair crisp upon the chest, it is occasionally crisp upon the legs.  Nothing like that smell of burnt toast to heighten the sensuality, yum.

BTW, Kalen is a fabulous writer and I bet Lord Scandal will be one heck of a good read (with or without the crispy crunchies).

SB Sarah says:

Hello people who designed this cover. I can’t stop looking at it. You have discovered my weakness: real men who have chest hair.

*sigh*

Esri Rose says:

Belly fur, too! I like it!

MoJo says:

WTF?  I kept looking at the “special price” sticker over his left nipple and getting increasingly annoyed.

Gennita Low says:

But his boobah is so much bigger (and hairier) than mine….

Becky says:

I was so fascinated by the crispy chest-haired cover of My Fair Captain that I bought the book.  (The warning on the back cover including the words “hot nekkid man-love” helped, too.)

To cover designers: More chest hair, please!

Stephanie says:

I could have sworn the tag said, “The man she had to shave…”

ME TOO.

*laughs alone in her office*

spaminator: finally14. Er. No. A bit older.

TracyS says:

FINALLY, a MAN on the cover! whooot!  I am so sick of looking at waxed chests.  My hubby is a furry and it’s fun to see a guy that looks like what I’m used to. ;o)

Now, I realize that not all men have hairy chests~my mom’s whole side of the family is devoid of chest hair~but there is a definite different look to a guy that just doesn’t have chest hair and a guy that waxes off what he has.

I can’t stop clicking on the cover link LOLOL

fiveandfour says:

I hope this signals a trend back towards a more natural look for men when it comes to body hair.  I’ve missed it.

azteclady says:

Me like muchly. Muchly!

Eunice says:

Wow, see now I want to check out the book. You listening out there, covers designers?

Of course this is coming from someone who worships Gerard Butler – and his chest hair.

Suze says:

A long, long time ago, when I was a young, new feminist, I was raging to anyone who would listen about how media was scewing men’s conception of what women looked like by publishing air-brushed pictures of entirely-waxed female bodies. Real women don’t look like that, women damage themselves trying to live up to impossible expectations, ingrown hairs ain’t pretty, blah blah blah.  It never once occurred to me that they were doing the same to images of male bodies until one of my brother’s friends did a big stretch one day in our living room and showed off his belly hair.  EEEWWW!

Anyway.  Natural hair.  Bring it on.  Not to the extent of Robin Williams, but a little ain’t a bad thing.

Beth says:

Have you looked at the hairy specimen on Meljean Brook’s Demon Night?

Now that is a man!

Noelle (NHS) says:

Very sexy cover and historically accurate to boot.  I want this book. I’m a Georgian girl away but WOW I want him, now!

Finally some marketing person got it right.

Spam: body38, yes on a scale of 1-10 body 38

KatieO says:

Yes, please! My freshman year algebra teacher talked about the glories of hairy men, a thought I found strangely repulsive at 14, but I now fully understand her appreciation. Thank you clever cover designer! Thank you.

spam: they14 (year-olds have so much to look forward to?)

I could have sworn the tag said, “The man she had to shave…”

Ha!  That is too funny.  I also enjoy seeing a man with a bit of chest hair, facial hair, armpit hair, whatever, but this particular cover isn’t doing anything for me.  Maybe because that hair looks sort of fluffy and random, like it was blowing on the wind for awhile before it magically landed on his torso.  I prefer the My Fair Captain cover.  That hair looks STUCK.

Crispy?  Er.  Also not sure about hair described as “cloud of” or “nest.”  I always wonder what’s roosting down there.  But bring on the real men, by all means!  Waxing is weird, oil is wrong, and six pack abs kind of squick me out.

Madd says:

HOORAAH FOR HAIR!!!

Ok, so the bear on Barbarella gave me a disgust of body hair on males at a very young age. I was in my twenties before I started to appreciate a little hair on a man. It wasn’t until my husband actually. Now I like to rub my face right in his chest.

Now I’m all for the chest hair … don’t even get me started on that little trail that heads south.

Chicklet says:

Hallelujah! A non-waxed chest on a romance cover! *puts Lord Scandal on To-Buy list*

Eunice says:

Not to comment twice but this whole post has helped me figure out what it is that bothers me about the cover for The Lily Brand. I’ve never been able to put my finger on it before, but the guy’s too smooth.

My eyes, they are opened!

SonomaLass says:

“Too smooth” has always been a problem for me.  My partner isn’t a really hairy guy, but even he has SOME chest hair.  Completely smooth (like waxed) chests are squicky for me.  Having that on the cover puts me off buying a book, unless I have a reason to overlook it (like I already like the author, or I read a well-written positive review someplace I trust—but I digress).

I like the look of Lord Scandal.  I had already noticed from the ad here that My Fair Captain looked hawt, but I hadn’t connected it to the chest hair until I read this post.  And the cover of Demon Night is just plain yummy—thanks for linking to that, Beth!

Leslie Kelly says:

When I got my latest Blaze cover, I wanted to jump for joy because the hero had chest hair. It didn’t even matter that the heroine looks nothing like she’s supposed to.

Well, it’s about time, that’s all I can say.
    For years I’ve been extolling (boring strangers) with lyrical descriptions of mantitty cleavage with a teasing little hint of hair—with historically correct shirts, of course.
    Clearly 88, yes ma’am

Beth says:

You call THAT chest hair? Naaaaaaaaah!!!!! Wait ‘til he finishes puberty!
    My hubby’s a Sasquatch compared to that li’l bit of man-titty peach fuzz.
    Me want big sweaty fur-covered Neanderthal man come to drag me back to his cave…for a delightful contemporary evening of attentive-to-my-needs nookie!

(I don’t ask for much……)

Sandia says:

i live with a set of smooth manboobs.  he shaves because he’s a bodybuilder – so now, i’ve become the opposite of most here and furry manboobies bother me……

Shreela says:

Wow a real man, well almost enough hair to qualify. Males (notice I’m not calling them MEN) that shave their chests squick me out! To be so vain makes me think they’re either gay, or a Nancy-Boy metrosexual.

Eliza Evans says:

The guy on the cover of the newest Julia Quinn has chest hair, too.  I was surprised to see it!

word verification: looked21.  Ha.  Yes, if a man has chest hair he probably looks over 21.

Liviania says:

I could have sworn the tag said, “The man she had to shave…”

That’s exactly how I read it too.

Verification:  only48.  No, I’m only 19.

Teresa says:

Hmm, well, not quite enough for me, but certainly a step forward! Adrian Paul and James Purefoy have, IMNSHO, just the right amount of chest hair to satisfy this girl :)