Random thoughts and notes from the RWA thus far:
1. HOLY SHIT navigating to the Hyatt Regency is two bitches and a half. I’m lucky I have friends in the area I could call and to whom I could wail “Halp halp I’m lost and on some crazy street called Zang!” (Sounds kind of like a tentacled alien—like Kodos and Kang’s incompetent younger brother.)
2. Nobody has shrunk away from me in horror, yet. But that’s probably because I haven’t met anyone I gave a bad grade to, or any former Triskelion authors. Or RITA winners, for that matter. Gotta remember to wear my Kevlar breastplate tomorrow….
3. I finally met Sarah. Happy arm flailing ensued. It was exciting, but y’know, we’ve been talking every day for a couple of years, so we were amazingly comfortable and low-key in a relatively short amount of time.
4. People look different in real life than how I pictured them on-line, though Victoria Dahl and Jennifer Echols looked pretty much exactly as I pictured them.
5. Holy crap, Jane of Dear Author is a hot piece of ass, y’all. Seriously.
6. Some really interesting conversations ensued with Victoria Dahl and Jennifer Echols about bisexuality in romance novel heroes, and common perceptions of bisexuality in general. I’ll see if I can marshall those thoughts into something resembling coherency in a bit.
7. Favorite exchange of the night:
“What do they call that deep-tissue massage?”
“Don’t they just call it ‘deep-tissue massage’?”
“No, no. Rolfing! That’s it. It’s called rolfing.”
“Y’know, that sounds dirtybadwrong. Like, an incredibly perverse sex act that involves bodily excretions that have no business being excreted during sex.”
“I think it sounds more like one step up from fisting.”
“Oh, so, like, a foot.”
“Inserted up the ass.”
“And ‘ROLF’ is the sound they make when the foot is inserted.”
“Nononono—they say ‘Rolf’ because they wear dog suits while they’re doing this.”
“Oooh yes! Furry sex!”