Utiliti-Man

R*belle pointed me to the next big thing in hot romance man fashion: Utilikilts.

Now, when my sister in law hiked the Appalachian Trail, she told the family that a LOT of the guys on the trail used to buy elastic waist, stretchy skirts at Wal-marts and Targets and wear them hiking, as they were less constrictive and much cooler for hiking.  I’m also well aware that many a fine Scots, Welsh or Irish man has donned a kilt, to say nothing of formal wear kilts. Let’s face it – men in kilts can be hot damn sexy as anything.

But I’m not sure the Workman’s Model will catch on. If we renovate our house, and the workmen show up in a utilikilt? My jaw will drop, no question. But I might have to order Hubby a Mocker Docker-equivalent kilt for Father’s Day. You know, so he can wear it to the office and stuff. Funny thing is, I’d think it was kinda hot. He’d probably want to kill me.

Kalen Hughes says:

These things are ubiquitous where I live (Bay Area) and where I play (Burning Man). Let me tell you, 99% of the guys wearing them should just stick with jeans or fatigues. And for the love of all things holy, please stop wearing them with tennis shoes or flip-flops!!! Boots. BOOTS! (Yes I’ve been watching the “RED” scene in Kinky Boots over and over this weekend).

Najida says:

If you look like Duncan McCleod, yes, where a kilt.

If you look like Duncan Donuts, DON’T!

I love utilikilts.  It’s amusing because I think the first time I saw them worn was by leathermen in a gay pride parade in Seattle.  Hot! Hot! Hot!

Unless he’s really comfortable with his sexuality, maybe it’s best not to tell you straight boyfriends about that comment.

My word is “efforts69”!  That sounds like a lovely rationale for utilikilts.

SB Sarah says:

Kalen. Please tell me you are kidding.

Flipflops?!

Oh no no no.

*cries*

Najida says:

That’s WEAR a kilt!

(Argh, and this on a book forum, the shame, the SHAME!)

Okay…just have to jump in again.  Even though my partner is thin and geeky, I do like me a beefy man.  There’s nothing like a big and strong man to get my heart pumping.  (I especially love it when they wear kilts and you can appreciate the big, strong calves.)

Jules Jones says:

Science fiction fan living in the SF Bay area—and I see a lot of guys wearing those at the local science fiction cons. And boy, are they nice eye candy on well-built guys. I was also once treated to a demonstration of exactly how far the wearer can put his foot up the wall and not have the kilt slide back to reveal all.

Hmm. Movement29…

azteclady says:

Oh my goodness!

And to think that I know at least two guys who’d look really good in these! *plotting Father’s Day gifts*

spamfoiler? meaning56

Kerry Allen says:

Wow. My new favorite web site. I thought at first it was just the humor with which the descriptions were written, but I think I drooled a little over the leather one…

hollygee says:

I worked with a guy that would wear his Workman several times a year. Although his day job was a computer engineer, he was all you would want for a kilt model. Yes, with work boots.

Jay in Oregon says:

I must put a plug in for:

as I am a happy owner of one. (Bought for me by my wife, no less!)

I prefer them over the Utilikilts as the Neo Kilts are more traditional-looking in design. Plus, the guy who makes them is really cool.

My wife keeps saying that guys don’t know what they’re missing by not owning one. If you have the body type for it, guys, go for it!

Sarah Frantz says:

And exactly how far would that be, Jules? Inquiring and dirty minds want to know.  And did you see the goods when the kilt finally slipped?  ;)

I see utilikilts frequently where I live (Seattle), but somehow they’re just not sexy to me in the way a proper Scottish kilt is.  I guess kilts need their historical associations as well as a guy with good legs to turn me on.

dl says:

That’s what I’ve been seeing around Seattle lately…answers to all the important questions will eventually be answered at SB!

Sandra D says:

The ‘modesty snaps’ kinda ruin them for me, I mean a real man doesn’t wear anything under his kilt right?

Teddy Pig says:

Um old and busted, and guys, just because you work out… with kilts that better mean you work on your legs too.

As a gay man, I am sick and tired of the over weight hairless whales out there wearing these or spandex running shorts.

There is just not enough hairy, muscle calved, men out there and kilts just prove that fact more often than not.

Suisan says:

We have a teacher in my school district who wears these with SNEAKERS! Agh! My eyes! (There’s work afoot to draft a School Board Policy to address a teacher’s dress code specifically to address this one lame guy. And I sit on the policy committee. NO! I Don’t Want to draft a teacher’s dress code policy. I don’t!) We’re kind of asking the union leadership to please put some pressure on this guy to wear the Dockers, dammit.

I agree, Teddy Pig, you should have to prove that your calves are hairy and big before you buy these.

Estelle Chauvelin says:

I’ve gotten pretty used to guys running around in Utilikilts.  There’s always at least one on a band member at the local Irish pub every weekend, and usually a few in the audience, too.  I haven’t seen anything too hideous, but that may be because I’m rather “Meh” on the subject of beefy guys in the first place.

My boyfriend mentioned getting one once.  But he says it’s pretty far down his shopping list.

latebloomer says:

Mmmmm mmmm good…kilts. While I agree with the sentiment that lovely strong shapely calves are important on a kilt-wearer, to me, wearing a kilt is 98 percent attitude and 2 percent yummy legs. I’ve been to weddings and whatnot where regular old Joes that wouldn’t turn your head have been absolutely transformed by wearing a kilt. Wearing one well requires a manliness that transcends beautiful legs. But never, NOT EVER, with sneakers or flip-flops.

These kilts are a wonderfully delicious find! Thanks for the tip!

skapusniak says:

As someone—who despite not being a Scot—lives about a mile away from Edinburgh Castle, I have to say I’m not convinced by those particular kilts.  No, not at all.

That ‘Tuxedo’ monstrosity looks especially ugly—half a foot longer at the back than the front? *boggle*—and there was I thinking it was pretty difficult to screw up a kilt as formal wear.

I am enlightened.

Phyllis says:

The burning question, though: Would the workmen be climbing ladders?

Emily says:

I feel awful for being so viciously practical, but skirts? For hiking?
    A friend of mine just spent a year battling Lyme disease.
    I’ll be in this corner with my pant legs tucked into my thick socks, plzkthnx.

On the other hand—in a tick-free zone? Hmm hmm. Lovely stuff for the lads. I’m suddenly SO much more excited for my trip to Scotland in the fall. I’ve been listening to Runrig for days now.

Walt says:

Something to wear when I’m not in my assless chaps

Teddy Pig says:

Phyllis think about trying to get them to sit properly… The wrinkles alone from plopping down on their fat asses without smoothing down the back.

Kaite says:

As a former chubby private school girl, I can state from experience that if you’re chunky enough, and the skirt only goes to the knees, you’re not going to be sitting on much skirt by the time it’s all said and done. Then again, I got a lot of junk in my trunk to wrap the skirt around, so perhaps it was just me getting chilly around the tender bits on those cold plastic chairs because the skirt rode up so far in the back when I sat… :-)

I may have to send those links to some people I know, actually. When a man has nice knees, he’s got nice knees and it’s criminal that they’re covered up. I, personally, want to turn back men’s fashion to knee hose and heels. Lord, but they didn’t half flatter those calves…..

Leslie Kelly says:

I bought my hubby one for his birthday a few years back. He doesn’t wear it often…but oh, I do love it when he does!

And with work boots only, of course!

Cat Marsters says:

I’ve never seen a man in a skirt.  Well, apart from the greebos outside Camden Town station.  How sheltered my life is.

My school uniform was a kilt.  I think in the interests of equality, as girls were allowed to wear trousers then boys were, theoretically, allowed to wear kilts.  We never pursuaded one though.  Maybe if we’d had these super-manly kilts…

Emily says:

I recall my brother’s best friend threatening to wear a kilt to grad. He didm’t, but I’ve seen other local boys do it. Not the tuxedo kilt shown, but more traditional garb, with sporrans and all.

Sarah Frantz says:

I was at a formal military ball and was shocked and rather horrified when my S3 (Operations Officer) turned up in a kilt as his formal wear.  He had completely correct uniform shirt and jacket, with awards, and the kilt and sporran and knee socks with ceremonial dagger and everything.  But he refused to tell me what he was wearing under the kilt and didn’t appreciate my joke about being thankful that I wasn’t the only person at a Field Artillery Ball wearing a skirt.  ::shrugs::  ;)

Megan says:

I go to a fair number of Scottish dance events, and can appreciate a man in a kilt.  I object to utilikilts in formal situations, however, because they’re so clearly informal.  (Even that hideous “Tuxedo” doesn’t convince as formal wear.)  And on the gender equality front, it’s kind of nice that real kilts are as expensive as formal wear for women…even if you can get a lot more wear out of them than your average gown.