In Other News: Romance Novelists Kick Ass at Quiz Shows

Via Booksquare comes this delicious tidbit from Grumpy Old Bookman about the (British) Romance Novelists’ Association just beating the everloving snot out of the other team (composed of staff members of Wisden, a cricket almanac) during a general knowledge quiz show.

Romance novelists are smart people. Whodathunk? Next thing you know, people will start thinking that romance novel readers don’t need to move their lips to sound out the hard words when they read.

One of the quiz show participants on the RNA team, Stephen Bowden, has a very, very amusing blog.

I am a writer of historical fiction, as yet unpublished but that will change. I am currently working on a Romantic Regency Romp, James Bond meets Georgette Heyer, complete with fireworks and at least one elephant. If I had a good title for it I would tell you, but for the time being the file name is just “Regency”.

At least one elephant? Baby, I’m THERE. Crossing fingers and hoping this guy will get a juicy contract.

News, The Link-O-Lator

Karen Scott says:

Romance readers are Smart Bitches, this is nothing new! (g)

AngieW says:

When I was in sixth grade, I had already been reading romance novels for several years. My sixth grade class went to the junior high to get a tour to get us ready to go the next year. They paired each of us up with a seventh grader and we went to class with them.

There we are, sitting in seventh grade history, and the teacher is talking about Queen Mary of Scots and asking if anyone knew her nickname. HA! Of course I did, I’d been reading historical romance for Pete’s sake. So I whispered it in my buddy’s ear (since no one else seemed to know), the teacher heard me and encouraged me to say it. I was embarassed but pleased and he was honestly shocked that anyone in that room knew the answer. I owe it all to romances ;)

So, long story even longer, this story doesn’t suprise me at all.

Michelle, the Diva says:

Not surprised at all. I mean, it’s obvious that we’re a flock of freaking Freuds.

Ever read Susan Johnson? HOLY HELL, she can write a smoking hot-n-sexy scene, but her novels are among the most historically correct that I’ve ever read. Her books are FOOTNOTED, for cryin’ out loud.

Methinks we’re very Smart Bitches, indeed!

Well, it’s my experience that writers tend to read a lot, and romance writers tend to read even more than that norm. Plus, you can approach all sorts of historical etc. questions with romance. A story about relationships gives a tremendous amount of latitude for plot and setting, and the writers who tend to do well in this field are very self-driven and intellectually curious folks.

I mean, curiousity is the only way to think up a good sex scene, right?

Sarah says:

And let’s not even go near the amount of research inherent in Regency-writing communities, and what happens if you get your facts wrong. They will come to your door and beat you with era-appropriate torture devices!! So not only are we clever and historically well-researched writers & readers, but we also have the peer pressure of knowing our facts are checked by those who also do that deeper level of investigation.

Stephen says:

Thanks for the kind words about my blog.  If you’re in the UK there’s a good chance that we will be in the semi-finals of University Challenge in September, where we’ll do our best to uphold the intellect, if not necessarily the honour of Romantic Novelists…

Gabriele says:

Good luck, Stephen.

I don’t write Romance but plain Historical Fiction, yet I hate that superior attitude of the literati, and believe me, SciFi, Fantasy and other genre writers get their share of it. And if my mother one more time asks why I’m not writing real literature, I’ll look for a time appropriate (Roman Empire in my case) torture device … :cheese:

Gah, I missed it! I like the new ‘grown-up’ version of University Challenge – just have to hope the Romantic Novelists don’t end up against Private Eye as I won’t know who to cheer on more.

And as a fool writing historical SF, I know all about not being a ‘real’ writer. Maybe we need to get a SF authors team together?