A public service announcement

Hie thee to for the best part of the year: voting on the Best & Worst Covers of 2004!

Series often bore me, and step backs often look the same, but oh, gee, is the Worst Cover category a FUN mess to vote on. Oh my. I’m still cracking up over one of them. I thought it was hard to shock me, but let me tell you, color me plenty surprised.

The Link-O-Lator

Kate says:

So? well? which one got you? the head replaced by legs? the smirking smoking gun? the writhing shoulders of the pirate’s jewel? (I’m guessing that first one aka “oral sex in the car”)

Jennifer says:

I couldn’t even tell WHAT that was on the “Rumor Has It” AT ALL. EW!

Candy says:

See, Kate, I didn’t think “oral sex in the car” so much as “headless corpse pinning woman down.” That cover was… startling.

Lizzie says:

Okay, I tried to figure out Rumor Has It…. but I’m confused about the inexplicable woman’s hand.  Is there a second woman lurking somewhere in that car?

An how about the Stranger in Paradise cover? Those who think Prince Charles is one sexy dude must be thrilled to see him immortalized on a romance novel cover.

But the worst is what was done to the baby.  Does the baby have horns?  Bunny ears? Or just parents with criminally bad taste?

Sarah says:

It is hard to render a baby that doesn’t look in some way physically altered or completely demonic on these series covers featuring infants. The last couple years, I think, there have been bad covers featuring babies.

And you’re right about that hand on “Rumor Has It.” I don’t think I could come up with a scenario that explains their positions – but y’all, it seriously looks like there is some Aer Lingus action going on there.

Beth says:

The woman’s hand placement in relation to the rest of all the bodily positioning is indeed startling, but I actually find the car itself more disturbing. I mean, where the hell did they hide the steering wheel, what is WITH that door handle, and are those red satin sheets her feet are tangled in? On the roof of the car? What? I’m so confused.

It looks like a subtle cautionary tale for young girls who might dare to dream of oral sex: Don’t do it or your world go just a little bit Salvador Dali before your very eyes. Behold, the power of cunnilingus.